SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-06, 06:15 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC

i-"Forgery"
With all due respect Mark, iForged might be known to copy but their prices are substantially less then HRE's. HRE quality is not as great as some people are led to believe. I speak from experience as a previous HRE owner. Honestly, some products from Japan aren't that great either as I've heard & seen botch jobs on some JDM products as well. Then again, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
Old 08-04-06, 07:15 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Yeah!
With all due respect Mark, iForged might be known to copy but their prices are substantially less then HRE's.
Great point Man!

I could care less if someone makes something as good or better and makes it look just alike something else. As far as I'm concerned, I just want a cool set of rims that shine up all nice. If it's not original but it's good quality and meets my needs, i'll still sleep at night.
Old 08-04-06, 07:38 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

With all due respect Mark, iForged might be known to copy but their prices are substantially less then HRE's. HRE quality is not as great as some people are led to believe. I speak from experience as a previous HRE owner. Honestly, some products from Japan aren't that great either as I've heard & seen botch jobs on some JDM products as well. Then again, everyone's entitled to their opinion.
well said, i never mentioned all JDM are da-bomb. Heck they have knock off as well. it was just my .02 about the company that's all. enjoy your new wheels!

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 08-04-06 at 07:41 PM.
Old 08-04-06, 09:52 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Until when are we going to start seeing wheels made to fit our sensors? I don't like the band(-aid) method.
And I also wouldn't care if the wheels are MickeyMouse brand, as long as they're as good as the others but cheaper. My only concern would be structural integrity, as you can't readily see that... until they bend or crack easily . Later gang.
Old 08-05-06, 12:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

You wished you could go more agressive in the front as in you wish the manufacturer makes it in a lower offset?

Thx Mark! That makes me feel more at ease. Like I said, I want a wider wheel then oem but not to the point it rubs (when lowered) & sticks out of the fendor. Just got an email from Vince saying he's changing my order to a 20x9 upfront. We have over 30+ emails exchanged between the 2 of us, lol. I have no clue how to accurately measure the offsets. I was just going by what Tony said.
trafficstar wheels they don't allow custom offsets, so i could only get as close as i wanted

Originally Posted by mole
I talked with a shop yesterday that say that can get iForged made for the car, of course. The rear would be 10" but the front's would be 8" though. It's a 19" setup and when I inquired about offets, he asked if I wanted conservative or aggressive and then said, ok, we'll make it fit. So I said, what's the offset, and he said, that's for iForged to know to build the rims, but they dont release those details.

I guess the rim I want only can be built in the 8, or 10 width, not even a 9 as I would choose that for the front if I had to.

anyway, thought I would share.
only 8 in the front?! yeah, i would go and talk to another shop about it who actually knows what they are doing. as far as i know for iforged, i dont' see any resaon why they can make 8 and 10, but they can't make a 9. could be wrong, i never pay much attention to iforged myself

well, the way i see it, why would price ever come into play. i wouldn't go into whether iforged are knock offs or not (it usually doesn't end pretty), but fact is i have seen a lot of WAY worse experiences with iforged, even recently within the past year, on people who are very close to me. so yup, i agree hre quality isn't really that perfect at all (i had hre wheels too, i know them well), but comparing to the stories i heard about iforged? gosh....

and just curious, jimmy. so assume today if they have knock offs of a body kits you like for the sc430 (but the real deal is pretty expensive), and they sell it for cheap. you will get the knock offs? i am just deriving it from your statement "iForged might be known to copy but their prices are substantially less then HRE's"
Old 08-05-06, 09:46 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Until when are we going to start seeing wheels made to fit our sensors? I don't like the band(-aid) method.
And I also wouldn't care if the wheels are MickeyMouse brand, as long as they're as good as the others but cheaper. My only concern would be structural integrity, as you can't readily see that... until they bend or crack easily . Later gang.
ELP, actually Work wheel has some wheels that are TPS compatible but using an alternative stem hole. HOWEVER, the real deal is actually here already. SSR, which is owned by Tanabe, has already developed a TPMS compatible wheel fully on one of their brand new 20" 3 pieces reverse wheel. Without further delay, here you go:

Quick Translation:

Technology of safety of the car is progressive considerably, but TPMS (the Tire Pressure Monitoring System= direct inflation pressure warning system) is listed to the one of that. When tire air pressure monitoring is done, the air decreases, with the system which is warned, you perceive the decrease of the flat tire and pneumatics, you designate that beforehand accident is prevented as largest purpose. In the United States the installing TPMS has been done to require already from several years ago, at the part automaker it standardizes TPMS. The overseas export private model which the speeder wheel produces (part is excluded) to correspond into the air valve sensor unit of TPMS, the certain result and tremendous confidence are obtained

Development power of the speeder wheel high technical power made possible, TPMS (the air sensor) the corresponding full reverse rim form 3 piece wheel. As for well form of the inner rim part which can be called the feature, in order to be able to install the air sensor, besides the fact that it is designed, the well part becomes large, riding comfort improves by the fact that air volume increases, can enjoy comfortable cruising.

PS. I am not saying everyone has to agree with me on which particular wheel brand is good or bad. At the same time, I wouldn't trash down a certain company unless I have Heard and most importantly seen myself about the product it bring to the market. While i have seen and experience a wide range of JDM manufacturer smyself via self usage and importation for my clients. I must said i have yet to be disappointed about JDM quality. At last, I do my homework WELL before I spend my money, even if its just a few dollar product. Peace out.
Attached Thumbnails Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...-air.jpg  

Last edited by GSXOTIC; 08-05-06 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-05-06, 11:29 AM
Dx3
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have never heard of companies not revealing offsets before. That has probably got to be the most retarded thing I have ever heard coming from a wheel company.

Jonny
Old 08-05-06, 12:20 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl

only 8 in the front?! yeah, i would go and talk to another shop about it who actually knows what they are doing. as far as i know for iforged, i dont' see any resaon why they can make 8 and 10, but they can't make a 9. could be wrong, i never pay much attention to iforged myself
Doing just that, if I am going to spend $3K for rims, I am gonna get what I want.
Old 08-05-06, 12:23 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

I talked with a shop yesterday that say that can get iForged made for the car, of course. The rear would be 10" but the front's would be 8" though. It's a 19" setup and when I inquired about offets, he asked if I wanted conservative or aggressive and then said, ok, we'll make it fit. So I said, what's the offset, and he said, that's for iForged to know to build the rims, but they dont release those details.

I guess the rim I want only can be built in the 8, or 10 width, not even a 9 as I would choose that for the front if I had to.

anyway, thought I would share.
Were you inquiring about a 2 or 3-piece wheel from iForged? If you were inquiring about a 3-piece iForged wheel then I don't know wtf they were smoking. However, if you were inquiring about 2-piece iForged wheels, keep in mind you get limited choices for widths compared to the 3-piece setups. Here's an example:

http://www.iforged.com/v3/wheels_detail.php?WhID=19

Hope that helps. Which model were you interested in?

Great point Man!

I could care less if someone makes something as good or better and makes it look just alike something else. As far as I'm concerned, I just want a cool set of rims that shine up all nice. If it's not original but it's good quality and meets my needs, i'll still sleep at night.
Thx mang!

Originally Posted by GSXOTIC
well said, i never mentioned all JDM are da-bomb. Heck they have knock off as well. it was just my .02 about the company that's all. enjoy your new wheels!
Thx! I respect the fact that you're honest about how you feel.

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I agree completely especially the "MickeyMouse brand" comment. I don't like the band-aid method either but that's the best solution for the wheels I'm getting.

well, the way i see it, why would price ever come into play. i wouldn't go into whether iforged are knock offs or not (it usually doesn't end pretty), but fact is i have seen a lot of WAY worse experiences with iforged, even recently within the past year, on people who are very close to me. so yup, i agree hre quality isn't really that perfect at all (i had hre wheels too, i know them well), but comparing to the stories i heard about iforged? gosh....

and just curious, jimmy. so assume today if they have knock offs of a body kits you like for the sc430 (but the real deal is pretty expensive), and they sell it for cheap. you will get the knock offs? i am just deriving it from your statement "iForged might be known to copy but their prices are substantially less then HRE's"
For me, price does come into play b/c the last time I spent boo-coo money on wheels (19" HRE 841R $5600-$5800), I didn't think it was worth nowhere near the price I bought them for after getting them. To each his/her own about whether they can justify it or not.

Yes & no...Yes, I would buy a knockoff of a bodykit I really like (Wald if they ever come out w/an 06' version) ASSUMING the quality is on par or better then the original. No, I wouldn't buy a knockoff ASSUMING the quality's not there. I've seen a legit name brand JDM bodykit for our car in person. I've read on this forum this JDM brand has some issues w/body gaps. I really didn't believe it until I saw one in person on a car. Lets just say the body gaps were obviously there & this was suppose to be a name brand company. Here's another example...For the e46 M3 I had, AC Schnitzer sells this crazy carbon fiber front lip for $2000 (it's so hot, lol). There's a couple companies that make knockoff's of it for about $300-$500. After doing some research on the BMW fourms, I purchased a knockoff for around $500 & at a local BMW car meet, another guy had the real deal version. We were parked side by side & honestly we both couldn't tell the difference between the two. That my friend saved me about $1500. I never had an issue w/quality & fitment either.
Old 08-05-06, 01:06 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Were you inquiring about a 2 or 3-piece wheel from iForged? If you were inquiring about a 3-piece iForged wheel then I don't know wtf they were smoking. However, if you were inquiring about 2-piece iForged wheels, keep in mind you get limited choices for widths compared to the 3-piece setups. Here's an example:

http://www.iforged.com/v3/wheels_detail.php?WhID=19

Hope that helps. Which model were you interested in?
2-piece evolve, sweet wheels that I am not sure I will buy if they only come in 8" for the front. I knwo the offset would be built to get it to sit look right, but I dont know what else it will affect it the wheel is way out like that.
Attached Thumbnails Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...-iforged.jpg  
Old 08-05-06, 01:23 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Those are nice wheels. I hate to say it but you're pretty much screwed if you're set on those wheels in the widths you want unless you go to a 3-piece setup. This's the closes design they have in the widths you want:

http://www.iforged.com/v3/wheels_detail.php?WhID=17
Old 08-05-06, 01:28 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, I really want the rivitless look, I think it's clean and makes for a cleaner overall appearance of the car but I have seen others here with the rivit look and it is cool.

I may have to choose something other than my beloved evolves. I am loking into HREs as well, but I hear they may a bit about of my price range. I will find something eventually. Right now I am working on the other parts of the car and getting ready for rims.

Thanks for all the feedback and advise...
Old 08-05-06, 01:33 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

You're welcome & good luck w/your wheel search. My best advice...take your time otherwise you'll regret it if you rush through it. And no, I don't have any affiliation w/iForged, lol.
Old 08-05-06, 02:04 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

oh, 2 piece iforged, ic... well imho just go 3 piece, you have more flexibiltiy imho anyway.
Old 08-05-06, 03:03 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

oh, 2 piece iforged, ic... well imho just go 3 piece, you have more flexibiltiy imho anyway.
iForged doesn't make 3-piece wheels w/o rivets since he said he doesn't want rivets.

Quick Reply: Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...