SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-06, 05:23 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I am just giving my experiences so that others might not run into the same problem as me. We are all just trying to save eachother a head ache.
I couldn't agree more... And like I said, had I taken the advice from this board, I'd be kinda upset as no one said anything about having to run oversized tires and rubbing. That would've sealed the deal for 19s....
Old 08-09-06, 03:36 PM
SoCalSC4
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
In the end, I'm going by what the owner of the wheel manufacturer told me about what size width will rub & not rub. If it rubs, then it's his fault!
This isn't really fair. When rubbing issues occur, it's typically the TIRES that rub and not the wheels. It is impossible to predict every single tire combination and then build a wheel that fits 'safely.' Due to variances in how tire manufacturers spec their tires, a 285 is not necessarily a 285... for instance, Michelins and the new Dunlop tires tend to run very wide when compared with other tire brands & models.

So, a wheel manufacturer might test a certain wheel during R&D with (for example) a Pirelli Rosso tire - and it fits great, with room to spare. Months later, a new tire comes out from another tire manufacturer... a customer buys the same size tire, mounts it on the same wheels, and... you guessed it, there are running issues.

"The look" on today''s concept and show cars is the 'flush' look, where the wheels come right out to the fenders. I personally like this look and try to emulate it on my personal vehicles. An aggressive stance makes the car look powerful and emphasizes the fenders. But for the average, everyday Joe Consumer, it just is not practical unless modifications are made to the vehicle.

I've said it before: you now all those cool show cars from Europe, America and Japan where the wheel fitment is perfect? ALL of those cars have been tweaked to make things fit 'just right.' It's the price we pay for greatness.

By the way, I would recommend 255/30-20 front and 295/25-20 rear on the SC; it's close to the stock diameter, but provides a little more sidewall than the 245/30-20 + 285/25-20 combination.

One other note... 20" wheels are the new 19s. For manufacturers of modular wheels, 19" wheel sales are in the toilet compared with 20". 20s outsell 19s 5 to 1, easily.
Old 08-09-06, 04:35 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCalSC4
This isn't really fair. When rubbing issues occur, it's typically the TIRES that rub and not the wheels. It is impossible to predict every single tire combination and then build a wheel that fits 'safely.' Due to variances in how tire manufacturers spec their tires, a 285 is not necessarily a 285... for instance, Michelins and the new Dunlop tires tend to run very wide when compared with other tire brands & models.

So, a wheel manufacturer might test a certain wheel during R&D with (for example) a Pirelli Rosso tire - and it fits great, with room to spare. Months later, a new tire comes out from another tire manufacturer... a customer buys the same size tire, mounts it on the same wheels, and... you guessed it, there are running issues.
Whoops, my bad...I forgot to mention in that post they also recommended to go w/Toyo T1-R's in those sizes. I was going to get the T1-R's anyway. The recommendation by the wheel manufacturer to use T1-R's was the cherry on top of the icing.
Old 08-10-06, 06:23 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Whoops, my bad...I forgot to mention in that post they also recommended to go w/Toyo T1-R's in those sizes. I was going to get the T1-R's anyway. The recommendation by the wheel manufacturer to use T1-R's was the cherry on top of the icing.

I am not a big fan of toyos, they dont grip well on wet roads which is a big no no for me since I live in FL. thats just my personal opinion. Toyo has a good name and follow but personally I would go with the cheaper falkens. I have had no issues with them thus far. Though I really like pirellis and advans.
Old 08-10-06, 06:27 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
255/30 is not matching diameter for 285/30 neither? i think 245/35 is the matching diamter for 285/30.

thats what the tire calculator says but I think it would work fine in real life application with falken tires and the size rims I have. the 285's are stretched a bit on the 10.5 rears so its lower then a flush side wall so I think the diameters would be the very close to one another. Every tire manufacturer is different, I am just basing my opinion on my wheel sizes/rims