SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-06 | 06:38 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Default Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...

Quick question...I just placed an order for 20" staggered wheels (20x8.5 & 20x10.5) yesterday. I found out today if I get a 20x10 instead, the outer lip size will be the same as the 20x10.5. The owner of that company says the extra 0.5" will go towards the inner lip. So my question is, should I go w/the 20x10 instead? FWIW, I don't know the offsets since the company won't release that info but I'm assuming it'll be in the mid 20's. FWIW2, I'll probably get 245/35 & 285/30 sized tires if it matters. Thx!
Old 08-03-06 | 07:35 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I got 20x9 20x10.5 , #1 I got it cuz it looks nicer from the back from w/ a wider rim in my personal opinion, plus I get to run 285's without an issue in the rear so I figure if theres room then fill it up. You get better traction
Old 08-03-06 | 07:48 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

LOL Tony! Yeah, I'd like to fill the room as well. Now you got me thinking about going to a 20x9 instead of a 20x8.5 front. Vince recommended I'd go w/20x8.5 & 20x10.5 though. What brand/model tires did you get & how's the rim protector on those tires?
Old 08-03-06 | 08:28 PM
ebruce2
Lexus Champion

question: why in the heck are you buying wheels from a company that wont reveal their offset info?

Why they wouldnt tell you is beyond me.
Old 08-03-06 | 09:36 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ebruce2
question: why in the heck are you buying wheels from a company that wont reveal their offset info?

Why they wouldnt tell you is beyond me.
The only 2 reasons I can think of why they don't reveal their offset info is b/c they don't want you to get a similiar wheel design (from another manufacturer) that fits your car. Some of these manufacturers & vendors do alot of trial & error to make sure their wheels fit flush, clears oem brakes, clears aftermarket big brake kits, doesn't rub when lowered, etc. Trial & error means time & money spent obviously. I know some manufacturers will spill the beans but those are the only reasons I can think of.

A good example is iForged. For some reason, they don't reveal their info. Honestly, I don't care as long as it fits flush w/o any hiccups. A friend of mine has some 20" iForged wheels & they fit perfectly even when lowered. Another example would be Peter @ Wheelexperts (nice guy). When I inquired about a set of Modulare wheels, he wasn't willing to provide the offset info as well.
Old 08-03-06 | 11:16 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

I'm on the fence about this.. First, it does look better to certain people when the tires are stretched and being a 10.5, you can run 275s stretched (one of the more common tire widths) vs being correct on a 10" wheel. Second, if you need to you can run wider tires for tuning reasons.

But the trade offs are: Heavier and slightly more expensive wheel and if you do like correct fitment tires, then your tires go up in price, weight and go down in number of choices.
Old 08-03-06 | 11:25 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

you should do 9 on the front. that is very standard for SC. now as to offset, just my .02: I think its BS that wheel company does not provide offset to customer. I don't want to elaborate any further. In any event, sometimes it will be a PITA when you try to sell the wheels in the future and the very first question people will ask is "what is the offset".
Old 08-03-06 | 11:58 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i have to agree with mark here completely. yes jimmy you should have gotten 9 in the front. 8.5 is a bit weak for the sc430 imho. change your order. and 10.5 for the back is cool. i think 10 is just ok for the sc430, 10.5 is better, considering that even 11 is possible on the car (easily).

about the offset, i have to say too, it's completely BS that you can't get the offset numbers. if i were to spend couple grands today on wheels, i better get all the information i need. and keep in mind it's the wheel seller who are hiding the numbers from you. the wheel manufacturers they never hide.

and in fact most of the time you can find the offset info at the back of the wheels (like hre, or most jdm wheels). iforged is one of the companies that dont' show offset numbers as well. that's just wrong imho (sorry to say). they are just afraid that people would get the information and get something else. but to me that's not an excuse to take away buyer's right to know
Old 08-04-06 | 07:12 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

I got iforged. I measured my own offset after I got the wheels and its concurrent with the +30 to +33 offset that everyone says we need. also just run 285's it fits nice
Old 08-04-06 | 09:26 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
I got iforged. I measured my own offset after I got the wheels and its concurrent with the +30 to +33 offset that everyone says we need. also just run 285's it fits nice
Which tire model did you get? Is there a decent sized lip protector? Did you lower it w/Tein springs? If yes, any rubbing issues? Pics?

Mark & Henry, I just want the wheels to be flush w/the fendors (not stick out) as I hate how the oem wheels are so inward of the fenders. I think Vince (owner of iForged) is going nuts answering all my emails. Thx for advice fellas! I just emailed Vince & asked to change the fronts to a 20x9 setup. So based on Tony's measurement, I'm getting this setup:

20x9 - 30mm - 255/35/20
20x10.5 - 33mm - 285/30/20

Last edited by Yeah!; 08-04-06 at 09:40 AM.
Old 08-04-06 | 09:30 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

tony, i am not discounting your ability to do the measurement. But it should be the manufacturer's job to make this information available to their customer as it is part of "construction element" of any given wheel. This may not be an apple to apple comparsion but its like a car manufacturer selling you a car without telling you how many horsepower it has (claims is an intellectual property related to their engine or whatever they want to call) and for people who care we will have to go to dyno ourselves to find out.
Old 08-04-06 | 09:41 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

jimmy, for the record i know "someone" runs 19x9 +24 and 19x10 +24 no problem. and for me, i run 20x9 +30 and 20x10.5 +29. i wish i could go more aggressive in the front.

and yes, i agree, measuring the offsets yourself, that's never accurate. and i am wondering how you measure it too? maybe you can share? i think it's really tough when the whole thing is down to mm
Old 08-04-06 | 09:54 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
jimmy, for the record i know "someone" runs 19x9 +24 and 19x10 +24 no problem. and for me, i run 20x9 +30 and 20x10.5 +29. i wish i could go more aggressive in the front.

and yes, i agree, measuring the offsets yourself, that's never accurate. and i am wondering how you measure it too? maybe you can share? i think it's really tough when the whole thing is down to mm
You wished you could go more agressive in the front as in you wish the manufacturer makes it in a lower offset?

Thx Mark! That makes me feel more at ease. Like I said, I want a wider wheel then oem but not to the point it rubs (when lowered) & sticks out of the fendor. Just got an email from Vince saying he's changing my order to a 20x9 upfront. We have over 30+ emails exchanged between the 2 of us, lol. I have no clue how to accurately measure the offsets. I was just going by what Tony said.
Old 08-04-06 | 10:19 AM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

I talked with a shop yesterday that say that can get iForged made for the car, of course. The rear would be 10" but the front's would be 8" though. It's a 19" setup and when I inquired about offets, he asked if I wanted conservative or aggressive and then said, ok, we'll make it fit. So I said, what's the offset, and he said, that's for iForged to know to build the rims, but they dont release those details.

I guess the rim I want only can be built in the 8, or 10 width, not even a 9 as I would choose that for the front if I had to.

anyway, thought I would share.
Old 08-04-06 | 11:53 AM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mole
I talked with a shop yesterday that say that can get iForged made for the car, of course. The rear would be 10" but the front's would be 8" though. It's a 19" setup and when I inquired about offets, he asked if I wanted conservative or aggressive and then said, ok, we'll make it fit. So I said, what's the offset, and he said, that's for iForged to know to build the rims, but they dont release those details.

I guess the rim I want only can be built in the 8, or 10 width, not even a 9 as I would choose that for the front if I had to.

anyway, thought I would share.

i-"Forgery"

Quick Reply: Twankie aka dub aka 20" staggered wheel owners...