SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Still have rubbing issues...Please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-06, 07:18 PM
02Ku
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still have rubbing issues...Please help

Hey guys. those of you who have read my posts know that i continuously have rubbing problems with my new rims. To refrsh...they are 20 in, 10 in rear 8.5 in front. Tires are 285/30/20 and 245/35/20. Offset: +25 and +20. The car is not lowered and i do not have a suspension. I thought about rolling the fenders but was suggested not to do that. So...wat should i do? I went to a rim shop up her in MN and was told to get a smaller size tires: 285/25/20 and 245/30/20. As he said "This may work, but no guarantees" Would coilovers work. Like Tein CS. The only thing i see with that is the fact that the car rubs even when i am making a turn. It seems like i only have a centimeter of space. So even if i get a stiffer suspension i think i will hear it. The rear is so bad as the rim (not tire) rubs on the fender. that means shocks and springs are compressing the the wall of the tire (plus the 2 finger gap = 3 in or so). The one thing i have not checked is if the stock shocks and springs are gone. I would assume so because the car drives extremely smooth. So after all this, wat do u guys recommend. Will the coilovers work? and does anyone know when the new tein CS is coming out. I keep hearing "soon." Thanks all.
Old 08-06-06, 07:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

for one i wouldn't think coilover will help. unless it's very very stiff that doesn't compress at all, in which case you should worry about your back. otherwise when you hit something on the road the whole suspension is still going to compress, especially on the first rebounce

1) the front rubs? even at stock height? do you mean it rubs the front and back sides of the front wheel wells? if so then it's completely fine, you are running overspec tires. i can't see why it will rub the top since your car is not lowered at all.

2) for the rear, you can do 275/30, but have to be careful on tire choice. you need something that stretches so you can avoid rubbing. maybe falken or some dunlop. don't get SQUARE or MEATY tires, that's probably why you are rubbing now (and 285 on 10, that's not helping too)

also i don't understand what you mean by "only have a centimeter of space", which dimension and between what are you talking about. your car is not lowered, i would think you should have space everywhere
Old 08-07-06, 05:54 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I woulda gone with 245/30 series to begin with. but yea its normal for the to rub especially when turning. I would go down to home depot and buy a heat gunand push the fender liner back. It took me a good while to do it all but it runs alot less now
Old 08-07-06, 11:56 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Just out of curiosity, what wheels & tires are these?
Old 08-07-06, 01:24 PM
02Ku
Driver

Rims: mrr gt1
Tires: Khumo ecsta in front, BF Goodrich G-force in rear.

The centimeter of space i am refering to is from the fender to the top edge of the tire (the gap that usually is measured by putting your fingers in it). It rubs on top, even when i go up a 10 degree hill and there is a uneveness in the road.

It would seem that i got to aggresive offsets. The tires sit a little out off the fender line so when i hit a bump, the edge of the fender is in perfect line to rub.

All in all, i dont think this is going to cause significant damage to the car or the tires. But even the chance of damage scares me so i might go back to the OEM rims, sell these tires and buy 275/25 and 245/30. I just cant enjoy the ride of the lexus w/ the annoying rubbing sounds.

Thanks for the advice....so i wont get coilovers...for now. maybe in the future when i start modding the engine and suspension.
Old 08-07-06, 03:45 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Nothing is going to fix a wrong offset Ku; don't throw more money away 'stretching' narrower tires, not worth it IMO. That's the main reason I'm afraid to buy wheels. Until I see exactly what I want, and fits the way I want, I'll be happy with the OEMs. If I live in CA, like most of you, it'd be a different matter, of course. But I have to buy everything blindly over here.
Good luck.
Old 08-07-06, 05:18 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your going to have to give us more information. Like Rominl said, is it the front? Is it the rear? Where are you rubbing? (it turns out I was rubbing the top of my fender in the front so only smaller tires would fix it) Does it rub when your at full lock or when your just driving down the road?

There are many many fixes for rubbing but we have to know what your up against. If your rubbing the outside part of the fender, then rolling will help but you will have to remove the outside fender trim to do so. If your rubbing the inside of the fender, then a spacer or thinner tires stretched will help. If your like me rubbing the top, then smaller diameter tires. So on and so on.

And how about some pics of your ride? I want to see your wheels..
Old 08-07-06, 11:17 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

8.5 + 20 is not that aggressive, granted with 245 it's a bit on the meaty side. i am just still pretty confused about the rubbing, considering how much rubbing i have on my car and how low my car is (and couple of my other friends with sc430), i can't imagine why you are rubbing so bad
Old 08-08-06, 06:48 AM
02Ku
Driver

Thanx guys. Ill get pics up soon. i dont have any here at my work computer. the tires are rubbing on top when im driving. Last night i went to one of the only rim shops in Minneapolis and the guy told me to get smaller diamerter tires. he said that would take care of some but not all. I have figured out that most of the rubbing is coming from the front left tire. i assume my weight (only 150 lbs) is why the left front rubs the most.. But when i hit rather large bumps (and we have a alot of em in MN) the back right tire rubs so bad that you can hear the fender and the rim scratch. Fortunately it is right on the edge of the rim so you can barely see it. This is my conclusion and i think im **** out of luck. as ELP_JC has said, "Nothing is going to fix a wrong offset Ku." I agree with Rominl that this aint that aggressive after seeing so many other sc's with fatter rims (by the way those cars that do look gorgeous), but i guess my luck just ran out. When i have time i think im going to try to get new tires. If anyone out there has a set they want to sell that fit my rims please pm me. If its a good deal i just might do it. Thanks all for your recommendations. ill try to get pics of the rims up soon - i have to find my camera.
Old 08-08-06, 09:13 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

take my suggestion, when you get new tires, try to see if you can get 235/35/20 and 275/30/20.

my setup doesn't rub too bad at that offset, but i think the fact that my tires stretch a bit (not bad) helps the situation?