SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New SL500 VS. SC430

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-01, 06:55 PM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is ridiculous, you are comparing a car that cost almost $40k more with a straight face !! That's like comparing a Hyundai XG with a GS430 !! And why even include the Audi TT, I mean it reeks of VW and puts out only 225hp (quattro) !! I guarantee that the SC430 will not only outsell the SL but will take away a substantial portion of it's sales. Mercedes prestige ?? Yeah, they sell a car that costs less than an Accord V6 and that's prestigious ?! Look what has happened to the Mercedes legacy since Lexus jumped into the fray: they were forced to reassess their pricing, their quality, and their market share, all of which Lexus managed to succeed on in 10 years as oppossed to the 100 years MB is still working on. Be thankful Lexus even exists, as you'd most likely be paying about $120k for your SL.
Old 10-14-01, 12:46 PM
RodF
Pole Position

At our Lexus dealership, there is a new blue Mercedes convertable sports model that someone traded in for a Lexus. It was there at the same time I traded my Corvette in. My Corvette was sold shortly thereafter, but for some reason, the Mercedes is still there? Hmmm...
Old 10-14-01, 01:06 PM
GlobeCLK
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by Germancaraddict
You will have to overlook my typing errors as don't check my posts. I didn't mean to start a quarrel so I think its best this thread is ended. What it comes down to is "different strokes for different folkes". Both are great cars, with different personalities. If I had enough money I would possibly consider even getting one. Just wanted to show that the SC430 is not the only great luxury convertable out there, and others exist with more personality. Including the Maserati Spyder, Jaguar XKR, BMW Z8, Porsche 911, and Audi TT. Keep your eyes open to all thats out there and then make a decision.
I hate it when people try to justify themselves as SAINTS but then already made a big mess in front of everyone.

Welcome to clubLEXUS, home to the thousands of LEXUS fans.
Old 10-17-01, 01:17 PM
Skinny
Driver

Default germancaraddict....?

Germancaraddict:

Boy, aren't you a loser as in L-O-S-E-R!
Old 10-17-01, 01:19 PM
Skinny
Driver

Germancaraddict,

And yes, you did come onto a Club Lexus SC430 forum to start a "quarrel". Don't lie about it!

You're a fruitcake Benz lover!

And your post to start off this topic was full of false & misleading information.
Old 10-24-01, 01:13 PM
DouGS2k
Driver School Candidate

Originally posted by LexusPride
This is ridiculous, you are comparing a car that cost almost $40k more with a straight face !! That's like comparing a Hyundai XG with a GS430 !! And why even include the Audi TT, I mean it reeks of VW and puts out only 225hp (quattro) !! I guarantee that the SC430 will not only outsell the SL but will take away a substantial portion of it's sales. Mercedes prestige ?? Yeah, they sell a car that costs less than an Accord V6 and that's prestigious ?! Look what has happened to the Mercedes legacy since Lexus jumped into the fray: they were forced to reassess their pricing, their quality, and their market share, all of which Lexus managed to succeed on in 10 years as oppossed to the 100 years MB is still working on. Be thankful Lexus even exists, as you'd most likely be paying about $120k for your SL.
Don't forget that this is the first year Lexus has outsold Mercedes Benz...

To add some more points, when I was younger, my parents used to own a 1990 300E 3.0 model, we kept it in mint condition. BUT, it still cost them over $700/mo on repairs only!!! REEEEEFrrigggindiculous! I used to drive it all the time and it handled fairly well, and looked awesome, but it was the biggest POS ever made with something breaking every month. This turned us away from the 3 pointed star and into the Flexus.

Even the Cadillac Eldorado we owned before that had far less problems which still wasn't all that reliable.

But Germanaddict, as your name states, only the Benz name will work for you regardless of how bad the car is... my neighbor is like that and that's fine, if you have the money and time, then more power to ya.
Old 10-24-01, 03:47 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Cool

You will have to overlook my typing errors as don't check my posts. I didn't mean to start a quarrel so I think its best this thread is ended. What it comes down to is "different strokes for different folkes". Both are great cars, with different personalities. If I had enough money I would possibly consider even getting one. Just wanted to show that the SC430 is not the only great luxury convertable out there, and others exist with more personality. Including the Maserati Spyder, Jaguar XKR, BMW Z8, Porsche 911, and Audi TT. Keep your eyes open to all thats out there and then make a decision.
GCA -Part of what you would have us believe is that the SC is not the only great Luxury Convertible out there, but given it's competitive Delivered Price for a Luxury Convertible, let alone for a Retractible Hard Top Convertible with this level of Performance, Luxury, Reliability, and consistantly High Marks for Customer Satisfaction from the likes of J. D. Powers, it's the most value for the money!

Am I alone in my thinking? Apparantly not, in that of the First Year's Available Production Run of 12,000 units, over 7,000 of them were already sold PRIOR to the Car's Release Date in March of this year. Within 5 months of it's Original Release Date, the entire First Year's Production was already committed for with Deposts.

We've all witnessed what masterful and Innovative Copiers that the Japanese have been over the years, in Electronics, as well as Automobiles. For them to have created such an Instantly Successful Luxury Production Car at their first crack at bat, is unprecidented in this Industry.

They have'nt yet, but perhaps they've have earned the right to Copy the once Famous Successful Tested Selling Sentences of GM's Pontiac and Buick Motor Car Divisions by simply stating:

"DOLLAR FOR DOLLAR, YOU CAN'T BEAT A LEXUS!"

and:

"WHEN BETTER CARS ARE BUILT, LEXUS WILL BUILD THEM!"

SOLO-1
Old 11-04-01, 07:31 AM
machinegt
Pole Position

dood u bought an SL 500?
u got ripped off ahhaha.
Old 11-04-01, 06:10 PM
fuduNYC
Driver School Candidate

here how they designed the new SL500

hans : mathais? do u know we need to come up with a new design for the SL500 by tommorrow?

mathais : uh oh fu(k!

hans : what should we do?

mathais : let's go to starbucks and discuss!!!!

hans : great idea, mathais!

.... hans and mathais get inside their silver arrow sl500 take the autobahn... and arrive in munich ( there's only one starbucks in germany.. in munich)

mathias : ah here we are... one grande latte for me

hans : ya.... ya .. ya one decaf mocha skim frapacinno with wipped cream for me

hans : mathias what shall we do to make the suspension different?

mathias : let's just use the new E-class suspension, we don't have to invent anything

hans : good idea... but we have to make it look good, YA?

mathais : we just take the lights from the new c-class and put them there

hans : mathias, you are one bavarian genius!! YAYAYA

mathias : hans , you are one great schnitzhel! YAYAYA

hans : we can take the nav from the s-class... haha i'm a genius!

mathias : make sure you put an order in for extra nav systems from japan!

hans : we can put airbags all over the place and say it's safer!!!

mathias : hahaha yayaya hahahaha we are so fu(king clever

hans : design finished hahahaha YAYAYAYAA

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
and so hans and mathias won't have to redesign anything for another 10 years.... and they lived happily ever after
Old 11-05-01, 04:07 AM
Germancaraddict
Driver School Candidate

Default what are you talking about

First of the New SL class doesn't even use the same E-Class suspension. It has Active Body Control Suspension, that was a world pioneering technology. Now only this but they upgraded the system to compensate for changes in the vehicles weight. Seconldy the lights are not from the C-Class seden but are similar to continue the brand image (which if you don't know is the number one objective in automotive design.) And lastly why would any company create an individual navigation system for just one model when the other one works fine. And honestly if you can sit down for 15 minutes and read the manual its not harder then anything else out there. Oh yes and your airbags statement, I would just like to say that Mercedes are often leadings in crash tests around the world. So don't even talk about that when the SC lacks a simple roll bar.
Old 11-05-01, 06:48 AM
fuduNYC
Driver School Candidate

relax germancaraddict.. i was just trying my stand up skills here..
is there anything you like about the sc430?
Old 11-05-01, 07:13 AM
LexusPride
Lead Lap

Germancaraddict, no one on this "Lexus" board cares about all the supposedly wonderful features the SL offers, the thing costs well over $100k, so who really will want one ? I could buy a new LS and an IS, or 2 GS430's, maybe an RX300 and a GS300, even 3 ES300's, for the same money and all you would have is your SL that you'd be living in. It's obvious that you offer nothing to this board, from your website and profile, you don't own or even want a Lexus, so save your sales pitch for the Mercedes crowd, which are most likely congregating in a repair bay somewhere.
Old 11-05-01, 09:04 AM
FirstJapCar
Driver School Candidate

Hey GermanCarAddict!

You would get along great with my dad! He was and probably still is diappointed in the fact that I left family German tradition and bought a non-german car, especially Japanese!! ...but you know what? When I asked him if he wanted to give me the $40K difference for me to buy the Mercedes equivalent, he just laughed and said I should consider a cheaper Mercedes like the SLK hard top instead. The problem is that I drove that car and really did want to like it but it felt really cheap in comparison to the SC430. The interior has these cheap looking pieces and parts and a new one already had rattles. After what I went through with my former convertible BMW, I choose to take my chances with the SC430 and I have ZERO Regrets and love the car!

I still have a fondness for German cars and always will and may even buy one again.. besides the fact that I currently own a 911 anyway that I use only for racing and love that car more than any other car I've ever owned! ...but each car has it's place.. I would hate my 911 if I had to use it as a daily driver but then again I would hate my SC430 if I had to use it for racing.

That is why there are different cars for everyone out there! The bottom line is that German cars are designed with the idea of lots of driver input and driver feel of the road whereas the SC430 still has some of that driver feel but is more focused on the opulence factor and luxury feeling. I have yet to get upset or frustrated in heavy traffic in my SC430! I just sit back and enjoy the music and lately, the top down! I've been known to get angry in heavy traffic in my 911. I just want to go fast in that car, not sit in traffic.. while the SC430 allows me to relax and just enjoy the car for what it is!
Old 11-05-01, 12:39 PM
Skinny
Driver

All that SL500 gets you for spending $40K more is a nice shiny 3-pointed star on the hood. Not to mention a lack in reliability & quality compared to the SC430.

It's nice that the SL500 has ABC-Active Body Control, and a NAV system that requires a PHD to operate. For $40K less, i'll gladly take a SC430 with similar performance, a easier to use NAV system, better quality, and better reliability.
Old 11-06-01, 07:32 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Angry Re: what are you talking about

First of the New SL class doesn't even use the same E-Class suspension. It has Active Body Control Suspension, that was a world pioneering technology. Now only this but they upgraded the system to compensate for changes in the vehicles weight. Seconldy the lights are not from the C-Class seden but are similar to continue the brand image (which if you don't know is the number one objective in automotive design.) And lastly why would any company create an individual navigation system for just one model when the other one works fine. And honestly if you can sit down for 15 minutes and read the manual its not harder then anything else out there. Oh yes and your airbags statement, I would just like to say that Mercedes are often leadings in crash tests around the world. So don't even talk about that when the SC lacks a simple roll bar.
GCA- The Model Distinction "SC" to many of us Lexus Owners, means: "A SPECIAL CLASS". We think that our innovative and Successfully Selling Hard Top Convertible IS very "SPECIAL", and a lot more Fun and Value for the dollar, than the $100,000.00 offering from Germany that you seem to fawn over so much.

To a Lexus Owner, "CLASS" also means that we don't pretend to have bragging rights over our Model Car on other Automobile Owners' Web Sites, when we don't really own or drive one, yet pretend to be such an experienced authority on the car.

Frankly, most of us find your rantings and ravings about the SL 500 rather boorish and immature. Why don't you just put your Money where your Mouth is, and go out and order one? With the current low interest rates, it should be easy enough for you to do, unless you're just like the SL 500, an Over Blown Big Pretender!

Try and learn to be a "Class-Act" for us, dissappear from our Web Site, and go hang out on some other Imported Used Car Web Site.

Oh, and one other thing, learn how to type and correct your own spelling, if you really want to try and run with the other REAL Class Acts!

Get a Life! Get a SC 430! Better yet........................Get Lost!

SOLO-1

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 11-06-01 at 07:36 PM.

Quick Reply: New SL500 VS. SC430