SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Does anybody know what battery our car uses?

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-06, 11:49 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Does anybody know what battery our car uses?

I want to replace it, as it spewed acid when car was new, and it discharges a lot when car is not in use, but I charge all my car and bike batteries every 2 weeks or so, therefore, won't even bother to take it to dealer as it'd probably show okay.
What I need is the battery number. For example, my MDX needs a 24F, with is group 24 (physical size of battery) with reversed posts (F); otherwise cables would be at the wrong end and wouldn't reach.

By the way, NOBODY shows a battery for our SC (optima, autozone, etc), hence my post here.
Thanks gentlemen.
JC

Last edited by JCtx; 09-02-06 at 01:05 PM.
Old 09-02-06, 01:49 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

24F is what mine is , not an SC though.

Measure and compare to a 24F and see.
Old 09-02-06, 03:21 PM
JCtx
Racer

I just came back from Autozone to replace the battery on my MDX, and that's exactly what it needed (24F). It crapped out at 28K miles, and less than 3 years. Dealer wanted $75 (prorated amount) to replace it, but that's exactly what I paid for the top-of-the-line DURALAST at Autozone, which was rated as the 'best buy' by Consumer Reports, and has an 8-yr warranty with 3-yr free replacement.
Lexus has 50% proration after 2 years, so it'd be basically the same deal as with my MDX; rather buy a better one myself.

And yes, several other Lexus models, including the big LS430, use the 24F battery, but our SC, although listed, has no application whatsoever. Something must be different. Will remove the battery one of these days to precisely measure it and see what size it is. Will also look at the service manual later on for info. Thanks for the help.
Old 09-02-06, 03:58 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Excellent choice !
Old 09-03-06, 11:01 AM
JCtx
Racer

Found only ONE company which lists the SC430, and it's 'Exide'. The only company selling them locally is 'Checker Auto Parts'. They have one in stock, so will check it out.
It's supposedly a group '48'. It should be a 'reversed' model, but didn't say anything. That's my only doubt right now. Will check it out later today.
I wanted an Optima, or one of those fancy ones, but no luck. Will keep you posted.
Old 09-03-06, 06:57 PM
ron36330
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offical Lexus replacement battery

I replaced the battery in my 03 SC under warranty and this is the battery Lexus said I had to purchase. I was later reimbursed for the full amount. The battery is an "Interstate MTPH6. I can't give specs ie,cranking amps, dimensions etc, but it was an exact fit. The price was $124.95. I purchased the battery 2 years ago and have not had any discharge problems since.
Ron
Old 09-03-06, 07:13 PM
JCtx
Racer

Ron, thanks for the tip, but already bought one today (Sunday) when car had trouble cranking. The heck having to call roadside assistance to have my car towed for a stupid battery; no way. Replaced it with an Exide from Checker Auto Parts (p/n 4884); perfect fit as well, and a lot cheaper than yours: $95 total.

Hey Ron, may I ask you how you approached Lexus for reimbursement? Dealer or Lexus customer service? I'll definitely try it as well; I shouldn't be paying for a new battery in less than 3 years, 8K miles, and religiously charging it since new. At least I should get a prorated amount, no?
Oh, did you give Lexus your battery back? I left it there so I didn't get charged a core amount, but could always get it back.
Thanks man.
Old 09-06-06, 08:32 AM
JCtx
Racer

Is Lexus the best or what. Here's my very pleasant experience.
Based on Ron's tip, called Checkers to see if they still had my 'core', as I might need it to get reimbursed. They did. Good news. Then read the warranty booklet and said after 2 years, a proration applies, so I was ready for that too. Time to call Lexus.
Asked directly for the service manager, but voice mail picked up. Left detailed message. Got a call back a couple of hours later, and was asked for a faxed copy of the receipt, and was told a check for the FULL amount would be in the mail shortly. Hey, don't you need your battery back? 'No sir, you had enough trouble having to replace that battery already. And we apologize for that'. Talk about making your day. Way to go Lexus.
JC
Old 09-06-06, 03:37 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Nice! Another example of why (IMO) Lexus has the best customer service. Mind if I asked what dealership since I see you're in Texas as well?
Old 09-06-06, 04:20 PM
JCtx
Racer

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Nice! Another example of why (IMO) Lexus has the best customer service. Mind if I asked what dealership since I see you're in Texas as well?
Well, this isn't over yet. Just got a call from the dealer that they do need their battery back... but now it's GONE!!! Geez. Hope they come thru, as they screwed up, not me. Battery was there yesterday, but they insisted it wasn't needed, so didn't pick it up.
As far as being in TX, am in the middle-of-nowhere TX buddy (El Paso); we might as well be El Paso, NM., as the closest decent sized TX city is over 300 miles away. In fact, we're the lone TX city in MST (mountain time).
The only dealer here is Hoy-Fox Lexus. They suck at dealing, but have pretty good customer service. After buying 4 V8 cars from them, they only discounted the SC $1K, when a 5-minute call nets me $5K in Albuquerque. PLUS a lot more for my trade (a like-new '03 Vette). Needless to say, I bought it there. Good day man.
Old 09-06-06, 11:53 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Well, this isn't over yet. Just got a call from the dealer that they do need their battery back... but now it's GONE!!! Geez. Hope they come thru, as they screwed up, not me. Battery was there yesterday, but they insisted it wasn't needed, so didn't pick it up.
As far as being in TX, am in the middle-of-nowhere TX buddy (El Paso); we might as well be El Paso, NM., as the closest decent sized TX city is over 300 miles away. In fact, we're the lone TX city in MST (mountain time).
The only dealer here is Hoy-Fox Lexus. They suck at dealing, but have pretty good customer service. After buying 4 V8 cars from them, they only discounted the SC $1K, when a 5-minute call nets me $5K in Albuquerque. PLUS a lot more for my trade (a like-new '03 Vette). Needless to say, I bought it there. Good day man.
Ok, sounds like you're far away from me, lol. Good luck w/it.
Old 02-14-07, 04:00 PM
whitels
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 2 Posts

Just replaced mine over the weekend. Wal-mart batteries are some of the top rated ones at Consumer Reports. OK, so I checked their catalog and there was nothing for the SC43O!

But I'm so glad I took the measurement of the OEM battery before I went to the store and found one that is almost the same size. It is size 48-3. It is only half an inch shorter than the OEM but delivers 800 CCA. This battery has 2 years FREE replacement warranty, and 72-month prorated warranty. Price is $52.00.

I think it is for European applications like Merkur XR4ti, Scorpion, etc. I researched the web and it shows the same battery being used for the Crossfire.

I bought the battery and installed it. Perfect fit. The only things that I had to do extra - and these were optional - were I decided to re-install the car's black plastic battery cover and remove the battery handle. I trimmed the cover an inch all around the bottom so it would fit the height of the battery when installed. The installation looks OEM when all was said and done.

Last edited by whitels; 02-15-07 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-14-07, 07:45 PM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Why did I pay close to $200 for a damn battery from Lexus?
Old 02-17-07, 02:43 PM
soarer1986
Driver

Default whats

you paid $200 you *** edited for inappropiate vocabulary , please review forum rules in FAQ for proper language & ettiquette ***

Last edited by Gojirra99; 02-18-07 at 08:43 AM. Reason: edited for inappropiate vocabulary
Old 02-22-07, 12:36 PM
JPI Racing
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Jimmy,
Where did you purchase the vehicle? We still have good contacts with Park Place in Plano. That is where I used to work before opening up JP Importz. Steve WestP is the Service Manager there.
JPI

Quick Reply: Does anybody know what battery our car uses?