SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Any Idea on What a Next-Gen SC Could Be? (Merged thread)

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-06, 08:26 PM
Nauticalx
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Any Idea on What a Next-Gen SC Could Be? (Merged thread)

I was wondering if you guys knew when we could expect a redesigned SC. THe SC has had its basic shape for quite a while now and I was wondering when the L Finesse revamp may enter the SC line. I hope Lexus takes dead aim at the 6 series when it decides to redesign the SC.
Old 09-03-06, 08:41 PM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Probably see it redesigned as a 2008 model. If they do not redesign the SC, means they will take it off the market when the GT/LF-A comes into play, which I hope Lexus doesn't do that.

If Lexus does redesign the SC, probably would look like the LF-C. Hopefully have two different types SC 460 and SC 600h.

NON-HYBRID (SC460): 380 hp (283 kW) / 370 ft - lb (504 Nm)
HYBRID (SC600h): 440 hp (328 kW) / 451 ft-lb (585 Nm)

The SC 460 probably would have a 8-speed automatic, plus all the nice stuff you find on the new LS.
Old 09-03-06, 09:34 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wink

According to Edmunds.com via insideline, the SC430 will be dropped and replaced with the LF-X.

Here read:

Washington DC July 6, 2006; The AIADA newsletter reported that Japan's Nihon Keizai Shimbun newspaper reported, without citing sources, that Toyota is planning to launch a two-seat luxury sports coupe under its Lexus badge for the U.S., Japanese, and European markets in 2009.
Further information from the Shimbun indicates that the new two-seater will be based on the LF-A concept car, which was on exhibit at the 2005 Detroit Auto Show and equipped with a 5-liter V-10 engine and technologies developed through Formula One racing.
When the sports car hits the market, the Shimbun said it will eclipse the Lexus LS as the most expensive vehicle in Toyota's lineup.
Attached Thumbnails Any Idea on What a Next-Gen SC Could Be? (Merged thread)-lexussportscar403jpg.jpg  

Last edited by FunGuy; 09-04-06 at 12:45 AM.
Old 09-03-06, 09:43 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My personal opinion is that the SC should be a true "Sports Coupe."

With that said, I can see the possibility of having the LF-A as the next gen SC (the third gen SC being as drastically different from the second gen SC, the same as the second gen SC being as drastically different from the first gen SC). Calling it the GT500 would be going the same generic way similar to naming the Ford GT or Bentley GT or Pontiac GT or even PT Cruiser GT...

I think the LF-A will become the next SC.

Then there is the LF-C concept, which people have dubbed the IS coupe/convertible. Maybe this will be the next SC instead?

Old 09-04-06, 03:10 AM
JessePS
Lexus Test Driver

Plus if Lexus was going to redo the SC, wouldn't we have seen it out for testing already?
Old 09-04-06, 04:21 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

funny the pic looks like the supra we have seen some photos of but they claim there will be no supra

mabe TOYOTA is doing what honda did and make all there sport type cars come from there higher end lines.
Old 09-04-06, 11:18 AM
SC430GA
Rookie

Default A bit different opinion

I would disagree with some of you. I bought this car because of unique look and luxury feature first, all sport characteristics are secondary to me and from reading the posts I know that I am not alone here.
I don’t want new SC look like 6 series or that LF that we have pictures above – that could be new SUPRA. For new SC I am looking forward to see if it’ll have even more luxury amenities plus all the available tech. gadgets. I hope Lexus will hear people like me too and I am enjoying cruising in my SC every day, because it is already has a lot of what I asked.
As for the sport car enthusiasts I hope that you’ll get nice sports coupe like LF, but this would be another car, not the replacement for SC.
Old 09-04-06, 11:26 AM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

here are some pics from our forums(supraforums) !

Originally Posted by TT Tercel

Old 09-04-06, 02:52 PM
SC430GA
Rookie

Default Not for me

These last picks just confirm my view – not enough elegance to be Lexus!
But again it is just me.
Old 09-04-06, 06:57 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again it's only my opinion but I think the SC430 is one of the few most beautiful, classy, and elegant designs out there. It seems like a classic to me and it would be very hard to improve on its look without changing its character. The concept car in the pics looks like an SC 430 'evil twin', with more 'dark power' , the form may be there but the subdue elegance and spirit is gone.
Old 09-05-06, 09:50 AM
rleggs
Rookie

Question sc430 discontinuing?...

is this true?..lexus is planning on discontinuing the sc430 after next year?...and going with the lf-a ?.....no more hard top convertible from lexus?...

anyone with details?
Old 09-05-06, 10:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 224 Likes on 152 Posts

Nobody outside Toyota/Lexus is really sure whether the next SC will be derived from the LF-A concept, or they will have a new SC PLUS a LF-A derived supercar. But even with the LF-A, there's a hardtop convertible version spotted during testing.
Old 09-05-06, 10:35 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right now, the next hardtop convertible that has been rumored is the IS convertible. It will have more power than the current SC430 but with a more approachable price.

I think the SC will be redesigned and will have a more powerful V8 and more bells and whistles than the IS convertible. I can see the SC going one of two ways: it will either remain a "grand touring" ultra-lux coupe (pretty much a two door convertible LS460) OR it will be the official LF-A production car.

Compare it like the Mercedes SL (AMG?) to the SLK...
Old 09-05-06, 11:37 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

All indications are our SC430, as we know it (hardtop convertible in the low $60Ks) , will disappear indeed. Let me clarify: the previous SC coupe disappeared as well. It was replaced by our SC, which bears the same alphanumeric designation, but is a different car.
The next SC might go back to a coupe configuration, or remain a hard-top convertible. But if it remains a convertible, it'd either be an 'entry level' IS based one, or a high-level LF-based one to compete with the SL.

Now my prediction. The IS hardtop is almost guaranteed to show up (too many rumors), and no way in hell Lexus would make another hardtop just $15K more expensive. So no more SC as we know it. I also don't think Lexus will name the IS-based convertible an SC, but if does, that's it. If it doesn't, which is what I predict, I think an LS-based SC coupe would be produced to compete with the MB CL and BMW 645 coupe (high output V8, or even a V10 high-performance later on too), at a more attractive price. That makes more sense than an ultra niche convertible like the SL. We'll know soon enough gentlemen.
Old 09-05-06, 11:53 AM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Concept Cars (waiting for details from Lexus)

Next Hard Top Convertable ($100K) The LF-C:

Link to Lexus Website

It is all a mystery!!!

Quick Reply: Any Idea on What a Next-Gen SC Could Be? (Merged thread)