Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no rear seat ?

wow went to go see an sc430 today i was shocked when he showed me this
Old 09-11-06, 01:18 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The rear seat is not as functional as it should be. It was put there for insurance purposes.

Typically, a two seater is about twice as much to insure than a four/five seater. And with the SC being a two-door convertible V8 (three strikes already against it), insurance would have been far more expensive if it was a two seater.

It can accomodate a couple of people for very short trips or for emergencies, but not for everyday driving. At least you have the option of using it if you want to pick up two or three friends. You can't do that with the M.B. SL, or even a 350Z...
Old 09-11-06, 01:52 PM
RanGer498
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The rear seat is not as functional as it should be. It was put there for insurance purposes.

Typically, a two seater is about twice as much to insure than a four/five seater. And with the SC being a two-door convertible V8 (three strikes already against it), insurance would have been far more expensive if it was a two seater.

It can accomodate a couple of people for very short trips or for emergencies, but not for everyday driving. At least you have the option of using it if you want to pick up two or three friends. You can't do that with the M.B. SL, or even a 350Z...
yes i know that kinda like most PORSHE cars where/are
sadly i cant even use it to put things there with the sub in that spot. :/
Old 09-11-06, 04:21 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rear seat is very bad. i always knew it was before leasing it, but i did not know how non-functional it was until we tried to sit back there. only 2 people ever sat in ours in the 30k miles we had it, and 1 person was me. i'm a 5'7 female, and even with the front passenger as far forward as possible, i could not sit, let alone put on a seat belt. the seatback is too upright to allow your legs to do anything, so i sat my butt in the seat and had my legs up on the seat behind the driver. it was a painful 30 minute ride, and i never did it again...

the SC is a great car as long as you know you are getting a 2 passenger roadster. don't be fooled by the 2+2. (unless the 2nd "2" is for very small children)

that's part of the reason i terminated the lease early and got into a small sports sedan. it's a heck of a lot more functional, and you don't have to worry that on that off-chance you end up needing space for 1 more person and/or more cargo, you won't be SOL!! of course a sedan is nothing like a roadster, so you gotta weigh your pros and cons. good luck!
Old 09-11-06, 06:07 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

To knock the SC due to it's rear seats is mind numbing at best. Common sense dictates the purpose of those seats and someone expecting real back seats should look into a 4 door sedan. I fit my golf clubs back there just fine just the same as all of my Porsches. One of the blessings of this car is that NOBODY CAN FIT BACK THERE ANYHOW. It is MY car, not theirs and I cannot stand backseat drivers. It's a driving experience, not a car to have conversation about the PTA meeting. This gives me the perfect excuse when the wifey and I go out and there is a caravan of cars. "Sorry, I only have a two seater". In other words, get lost, I want to enjoy my car on my terms.

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-13-06 at 01:55 PM.
Old 09-11-06, 07:26 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Cool

For clarification, the small rear seat was meant for golf bag/clubs since the trunk space is way too small with the top down. Similarily porsche 911s. people who can afford $70k car can definitely pay for the extra $100 every six months.
Old 09-11-06, 08:50 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
To knock the SC due to it's rear seats is mind numbing at best. Common sense dictates the purpose of those seats and someone expecting real back seats should look into a 4 door sedan.
i agree 100%. not knockin the SC at all, really had fun w/ it for the last two years. i personally would have preferred a deck or rear cargo area (for top down driving needs) instead of 2 fake seats.

lookin forward to seeing what lexus does w/ the IS hardtop variant - hoping that one is a real 2+2
Old 09-12-06, 07:24 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by lexuslover
i agree 100%. not knockin the SC at all, really had fun w/ it for the last two years. i personally would have preferred a deck or rear cargo area (for top down driving needs) instead of 2 fake seats.

lookin forward to seeing what lexus does w/ the IS hardtop variant - hoping that one is a real 2+2
I've seen people tear down the back seats and replace it with a custom audio speaker system. That look rocks! Who needs massage seats when you've got the bass turned up to its highest?!?

As for the possible IS hardtop convert, I doubt that it will be a "real" 2+2. The hardtop will take up excess space and make the backseats even smaller (and you know how people have been complaining about the current IS backseat space already), making it similar but more functional than the current SC.

The current SC is really a 2+0.2. The IS convertible may be a 2+1/2...
Old 09-12-06, 09:49 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

umm, dunno, not really like how those subs look, pretty funny

Originally Posted by FunGuy
For clarification, the small rear seat was meant for golf bag/clubs since the trunk space is way too small with the top down. Similarily porsche 911s. people who can afford $70k car can definitely pay for the extra $100 every six months.
actually i believe when lexus advertise, they said that with the top down you can still fit a golf bag/club in the trunk (without the spare tire of course). i wouldn' tknow, not a golf person
Old 09-13-06, 08:36 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm not a golf person either, but I've seen the bags; no way in hell you can fit a regular golf bag back there. Not because you have 'x' sq. ft of trunk space means you can fit anything with that volume, as manufacturers make you believe. The volume under the tray is useless, and the space between tray and trunk liner is ridiculously narrow to fit most golf bags I've seen. Heck, I have trouble fitting a grocery bag with the tray in place.
Old 09-13-06, 09:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
I'm not a golf person either, but I've seen the bags; no way in hell you can fit a regular golf bag back there. Not because you have 'x' sq. ft of trunk space means you can fit anything with that volume, as manufacturers make you believe. The volume under the tray is useless, and the space between tray and trunk liner is ridiculously narrow to fit most golf bags I've seen. Heck, I have trouble fitting a grocery bag with the tray in place.
lol, you must have huge grocery bags so far i have been pretty good in putting grocery in the car with the tray up
Old 09-13-06, 10:25 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
you must have huge grocery bags so far i have been pretty good in putting grocery in the car with the tray up
Don't tell me you can just put the bags in there holding them by the 'ears', because you'd be lying . I have to 'squeeze' the bag with one hand while holding it with the other to make them fit. And no, just regular Albertson's plastic bags, like everywhere else.
Why do most people have trouble accepting their cars' shortcomings?? Seems stupid to me.
Old 09-13-06, 10:49 AM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Why do most people have trouble accepting their cars' shortcomings?? Seems stupid to me.
LOL, i'm w/ you on that. the SC is great for what it is, but you shouldn't hide what it isn't!!

i hear you on the grocery bags. it's fine to fit them BEFORE putting the tray in (and then put the tray back in place), but the shape and angle of the tray basically cuts off another 4-5 inches of depth so that you'd have to squeeze the groceries in there. i wouldn't do it if the top was in the trunk for fear of scratching the roof.

as for golf bags, my husband and i both play and it is not possible to fit a bag in there width wise unless you have extremely short clubs and a narrow bag. the little left/right cubbies aren't large enough for the bottom of most bags. as for throwing into the back seat, we had the ecru interior and no way were we putting bags on that!
Old 09-13-06, 10:56 AM
StunnaSC
Pole Position

with out the rear seats the SC430 would be a roadster, this way its a coupe. even if no one sits back there it is still usefull for cargo, I trhow jackets and stuff like that back there.
Old 09-13-06, 11:00 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 226 Likes on 153 Posts

Don't tell me you can just put the bags in there holding them by the 'ears', because you'd be lying . I have to 'squeeze' the bag with one hand while holding it with the other to make them fit. And no, just regular Albertson's plastic bags, like everywhere else.
Like rominl, I have no trouble with full safeway(& similar) groceries bags when the tray is up I can put 3 of them full inside without squeezing, those Albertson's bags must be HUGE . . .
Since it's my weekend car, I mostly do groceries shopping with the SC430, & I can get a week's worth of groceries(good enough for 2 -3 people) in one trip with the car's trunk(tray up/top down) and back seat space

Quick Reply: no rear seat ?