SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Extended warranty variation question...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-06, 09:51 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

GoKaden-yes, the platinum warranty is negotiable. I got mine 20% off at the dealer and that was right off the top. I shopped the two dealers here in Dallas-Park Place and Sewell and bought mine at Sewell mainly because I have purchased eight cars there previously and I have a great relationship with the dealership and the sales person that I buy from. If you need any help getting a good deal, I can help. Mel Warren is who I deal with. 214-353-2105 is his number or mwarren@sewell.com.
Old 09-25-06, 02:34 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went through the same debate abt 2 months ago on this forum, and ultimately I bought the 6yr/100K warranty for $1600 plus they included an additional valet key. I bought the car used and it was just abt to run out of factory warranty, and as I put about 1500 miles per month on it, it's definitely worth the peace of mind.
Old 09-25-06, 08:37 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I went through the same debate abt 2 months ago on this forum, and ultimately I bought the 6yr/100K warranty for $1600 plus they included an additional valet key. I bought the car used and it was just abt to run out of factory warranty, and as I put about 1500 miles per month on it, it's definitely worth the peace of mind.
Guess I'm lucky that mine came with the CPO warranty, 3 year 100K miles bumper to bumper. My car had 11,800 on it when I bought it, I could of saved $850 if I bought it as a non CPO car because they just got the car in when I was buying it and it had not been CPO'ed yet. So if you ever wanted to know it costs a dealer $850 to put the CPO on a car and it then has a 3 year 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty. Not bad, must be a shat load of profit in the platiunum 6 yr/100K warranty that does not provide the coverage the CPO warranty does.
Old 09-25-06, 08:41 AM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts

That's interesting.

When I bought my CPO, that still had one year of original full warranty on it, my dealer told me that the CPO had the same coverage as the Platinum extended warranty.

I haven't compared the list of covered and excluded items to see if there is any difference or not, since there is nothing I can do about it anyway, but it makes sense to me that CPO and Platinum level Extended warranty would be the same.
Old 09-25-06, 10:12 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

GoKaden-yes, the platinum warranty is negotiable. I got mine 20% off at the dealer and that was right off the top. I shopped the two dealers here in Dallas-Park Place and Sewell and bought mine at Sewell mainly because I have purchased eight cars there previously and I have a great relationship with the dealership and the sales person that I buy from. If you need any help getting a good deal, I can help. Mel Warren is who I deal with. 214-353-2105 is his number or mwarren@sewell.com.

Hi scdroptop, thanks for the contact at Sewell Lexus. I'll go shop around in Austin and Houston also to see where I can get the best deal. Thanks again.
Old 09-25-06, 10:14 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Guess I'm lucky that mine came with the CPO warranty, 3 year 100K miles bumper to bumper. My car had 11,800 on it when I bought it, I could of saved $850 if I bought it as a non CPO car because they just got the car in when I was buying it and it had not been CPO'ed yet. So if you ever wanted to know it costs a dealer $850 to put the CPO on a car and it then has a 3 year 100K mile bumper to bumper warranty. Not bad, must be a shat load of profit in the platiunum 6 yr/100K warranty that does not provide the coverage the CPO warranty does.

Hi Max707,

I was wondering if you'd divulge on how much you paid for your CPO SC 430?
Old 09-25-06, 11:38 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gokaden

Hi Max707,

I was wondering if you'd divulge on how much you paid for your CPO SC 430?
I bought it a month ago It is Black with Black leather and has the optional chrome wheels, spoiler, and spare tire with a new set of PZero Nero's. It had 11,800 miles on it when I bought it and came with the CPO 3 year 100K mile warranty. Also the dealer did the 30K mile service (changed all fluids and filters in the car) at no charge since it was 3 years old and the previous owner had a new Lexus battery installed under warranty since it was driven so little so the battery is under 1 year old. I paid around $46K including the sparetire. Hope that helps. I was looking at 2003 SL500's but all I found that had around the same mileage as my SC were priced at $67K but without the great Lexus warranty. I think the SC's are a great value for this type of car. I would like to own a SL55 or a SL600 someday

ps- ok now tell me about your SC when you bought it and what you paid.

Last edited by Max707; 09-25-06 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-25-06, 12:16 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Well, I had a heck of a time trying to find an '03 white/saddle combo with less than 30K miles on it, and I finally gave up looking in Texas after 2 months (summer would be over if I waited any longer). I eventually found one in TN, made a deal for $40K over the phone, with 27K miles on it. I had to hire a mechanic in Knoxville to inspect the car and take a bunch of pictures though. Not the greatest deal in terms of price, but what they heck, I really wanted one.

All in all, I'm really happy with the car. The V8 is really smooth, and the inside is absolutely gorgeous. And of course, its a great way to create nice memories of driving with the top down on a nice country road. However, people seem to think I'm driving my dad's car, since I'm only in my late 20's. I guess they don't know who affordable these cars are pre-owned.

That's my spill...
Old 09-25-06, 12:33 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by gokaden

Well, I had a heck of a time trying to find an '03 white/saddle combo with less than 30K miles on it, and I finally gave up looking in Texas after 2 months (summer would be over if I waited any longer). I eventually found one in TN, made a deal for $40K over the phone, with 27K miles on it. I had to hire a mechanic in Knoxville to inspect the car and take a bunch of pictures though. Not the greatest deal in terms of price, but what they heck, I really wanted one.

All in all, I'm really happy with the car. The V8 is really smooth, and the inside is absolutely gorgeous. And of course, its a great way to create nice memories of driving with the top down on a nice country road. However, people seem to think I'm driving my dad's car, since I'm only in my late 20's. I guess they don't know who affordable these cars are pre-owned.

That's my spill...
Sounds like you got a great deal. Mine was like new and I found it when I was really looking for a SL500, to much car and too good of a price for what you get for me to continue the search for the SL500.
Old 09-25-06, 01:12 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Sounds like you got a great deal. Mine was like new and I found it when I was really looking for a SL500, to much car and too good of a price for what you get for me to continue the search for the SL500.

The SL's are really nice on styling, but the latest MB reliability rating is pretty terrible. I was looking to buy the latest BMW 335 Ci, which cost only a little more than my SC. However, BMW's pretty famous for needing 1 or 2 model years to get their kinks worked out. I hear they're making a hardtop convertible for the 3 series coupe too, so I'll keep my eyes peeled for that.

Well, I was looking hard at getting a CPO SC 430 like you did, but the color combo I wanted is just so hard to find in Texas. You actually see them all the time on the road, but no one's selling. The only blemishes on my car were 3 1/8 rock chips that were filled in on the hood. I'm going to get some Langka and touch up paint next weekend to try to get it smoothed out. I don't really notice it actually, but I guess it's the new car fussiness I have. BTW, I got my car 2 months ago.

Thanks for your feedback on the $850 CPO cost price. I'll definitely use that in my bargaining.
Old 09-25-06, 11:42 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

As far as I was told by several different reps on different occasions, CPO and Platinum level Extended warranty are identical and cover the same things. I got my 02 Silver/Ecru, absolutely flawless condition all over, with 46K miles on it for $32K.... this took 2 days of negotiations and 2 damn trips from College Station to Dallas, but it was byfar the best deal I came across in my search.

In my eyes, this makes the SC one hell of an amazing deal, since the 02-06 changes are so minimal, especially in design. I'm able to afford my SC at 22 years of age, I love this!
Old 09-26-06, 07:06 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

As far as I was told by several different reps on different occasions, CPO and Platinum level Extended warranty are identical and cover the same things. I got my 02 Silver/Ecru, absolutely flawless condition all over, with 46K miles on it for $32K.... this took 2 days of negotiations and 2 damn trips from College Station to Dallas, but it was byfar the best deal I came across in my search.

In my eyes, this makes the SC one hell of an amazing deal, since the 02-06 changes are so minimal, especially in design. I'm able to afford my SC at 22 years of age, I love this!
WOW, great deal, since the 4.3 liter V8 is good for 500,000 miles. With 46K yours is just broke in. You should be able to drive this car for several years and not lose much money. Congrats
Old 09-26-06, 07:16 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Max707
WOW, great deal, since the 4.3 liter V8 is good for 500,000 miles. With 46K yours is just broke in. You should be able to drive this car for several years and not lose much money. Congrats
Listen here wiseguy, my last SC had 150K miles before I sold it this year, no problems with it till the end. My LX450 has 200K miles on it and whenever someone needs a ride, it gets the job done, never broke down on me once. My moms old ES had 120K before we sold it, again no problems. So, please, ****.
Old 09-26-06, 11:09 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

this took 2 days of negotiations and 2 damn trips from College Station to Dallas

Hi Texas83,

Just curious, since you have the Longhorn emblem; are you a Longhorn working in College Station? Must be tough if you are...with all the Aggies around.
Old 09-26-06, 02:15 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Listen here wiseguy, my last SC had 150K miles before I sold it this year, no problems with it till the end. My LX450 has 200K miles on it and whenever someone needs a ride, it gets the job done, never broke down on me once. My moms old ES had 120K before we sold it, again no problems. So, please, ****.
What is your problem??? I tell you I think you got a great deal and acknowledge the fact that Lexus makes great vehicles and engines that will go forever and you get all weird? I had a FZJ80 with 130K miles that was like new and a ES300 with over 120K miles when I traded it. Like I said you get a better deal when you buy one with a few miles and miles don't hurt these vehicles like others.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty variation question...