SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Riddle me this Batman

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-06 | 03:58 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Default Riddle me this Batman

2003 SC 430 51k. Went to the dealer for the 50k service as well as a bad O2 sensor. Anyway after the service, including tire rotation, I notice the car is vibrating especially during deceleration from 35 down to 10 mph. Service manager shows me the car on the lift and 2 rear wheels are bent. Had them fixed today and still getting the vibration, feels like coming from the rear of the car. Tires are Goodyear Eagle F-1 GS-D3 non runflats with 11k on them. They still look good. I am at a loss and I believe the service manager is as well. With this knowledgeable crowd I would love some suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

JTMav
Old 09-28-06 | 04:08 PM
charley240
Lexus Test Driver

vibrations huh. maybe an uncorrectly mounted tire.
bad bushings. bad camber, or if the rears have toe, bad toe?
or maybe the wheel isnt even correctly bolted down.
i dont know much about sc's, but those are all the usual things that most cars can all relate to for vibration.
goodluck.
Charley
Old 09-28-06 | 04:12 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Thanks for the suggestions. The dealer did an all wheel allignment(no charge) and the wheels have been off checked and rebalanced. The thing is I didn't have the symptom before I went in for the service. Can't imagine what they may have done to it.

JTMav
Old 09-28-06 | 07:43 PM
mmaloy
Driver

Default Possibilities-

Ask yourself these questions:

1. What is the frequency of the vibration- is it DIRECTLY proportional to the rotational speed of the wheel? i.e. does the vibration slow down as the wheel speed slows down?

2. Does it decrease/increase in amplitude while the brakes are depressed?

3. Does it make noise? i.e. noise is not possible unless there is friction.

4. Does it occur regardless of engine RPM. i.e. put it in neutral and cost, is it still there?

5. Does it increase/decrease in amplitude/frequency while turning?

Let me know and I'll help-
Old 09-29-06 | 02:19 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

1) Yes it is proportional to speed, but much more noticeable during deceleration while accelerating it is minor at best and after 30 mph disapears.
2) No amplitude is maximum from 30 mph to 10mph with or without braking
3) More typical of road noise than say wheel bearing or brakes
4)No, no noise in neutral
5)No change while turning

I am suspecting it's tire related now that the rims (stock) have been straightened.
Really appreciate your help.

JTMav
Old 09-29-06 | 03:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

To quickly identify the problem, rotate the rears to the front and vice versa and post back with the results
Lee
Old 09-29-06 | 04:23 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Thanks Lee, that was going to be my next move. I'll post the results.
Appreciate the feedback
JTMav
Old 09-30-06 | 09:12 AM
scdroptop

Default Check Brakes, Rotors/Pads

Had a similar issue with my SC and my Infiniti G35 at one time. I was told by Sewell Lexus/Infiniti that the vibration was caused by the pads one time and the other was the rotors. We went through the same steps, rotate, balance, bushings, camber/caster, alignment, etc. Come to find out it was actually the brakes! Both times since I spent so much money troubleshooting and they were wrong, they adjusted the rotors and replaced the pads for free. I always wondered how those little 140# mechanics throw those wheels around at the shop that weight 40#'s (20" wheels/tires) as little as they are and then they kind of throw them on the car. Could it be they bent something?
Old 10-01-06 | 06:03 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

I'm stopping by the dealership tomorrow and have them swap the tires front to back and see if that makes any difference. After that I don't know but will suggest some of the opinions here.
Thanks for the suggestion.
JTMav
Old 10-01-06 | 08:07 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JTMav
I'm stopping by the dealership tomorrow and have them swap the tires front to back and see if that makes any difference. After that I don't know but will suggest some of the opinions here.
Thanks for the suggestion.
JTMav

JT, how did you bend your rims???
Old 10-01-06 | 04:28 PM
JTMav
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Max707
JT, how did you bend your rims???
I commute to downtown Boston everyday and with 18" rims and low profile tires (non runflats) there's a pretty good chance at hitting a pothole or two . I saw the wheels on the lift with the car in drive, they were both bent, not terribly but bent enough to have them fixed.

JTMav
Old 10-01-06 | 05:39 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by JTMav
I commute to downtown Boston everyday and with 18" rims and low profile tires (non runflats) there's a pretty good chance at hitting a pothole or two . I saw the wheels on the lift with the car in drive, they were both bent, not terribly but bent enough to have them fixed.

JTMav
I've been to Boston for business and those potholes can take a car out.
Old 10-02-06 | 02:51 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

JT ...

I also have Goodyear F-1 GS-D3 tires, but with 9,000 miles on them. They're incredibly noisy at any speed and there's almost a groaning noise when decelerating to a stop. Although I didn't mention this to my dealer when I recently had a speed sensor replaced, they told me that the tires were unevenly worn.

A TireRack rep told me that it was not unusual for a tire to make such noises when unevenly worn; perhaps uneven wear is your problem as well. I don't feel a vibration as you explained, but the noise while decelerating almost makes it feel as though there is a vibration.

Another problem with this tire (and other high performance tires according to TireRack) is that they easily develop flat spots if they sit for a few days. The flat spots do round out after about five miles of driving, though. While I never tested it, I expect that leaving the car for an entire winter would result in permanent flat spots.
Old 10-02-06 | 05:23 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
JT ...

I also have Goodyear F-1 GS-D3 tires, but with 9,000 miles on them. They're incredibly noisy at any speed and there's almost a groaning noise when decelerating to a stop. Although I didn't mention this to my dealer when I recently had a speed sensor replaced, they told me that the tires were unevenly worn.

A TireRack rep told me that it was not unusual for a tire to make such noises when unevenly worn; perhaps uneven wear is your problem as well. I don't feel a vibration as you explained, but the noise while decelerating almost makes it feel as though there is a vibration.

Another problem with this tire (and other high performance tires according to TireRack) is that they easily develop flat spots if they sit for a few days. The flat spots do round out after about five miles of driving, though. While I never tested it, I expect that leaving the car for an entire winter would result in permanent flat spots.
Yes I think you are right on with the flat spots. I have ps2's on 19" wheels. I had my sc sitting for about 2 weeks. I pulled it out of the garage and went directly on to the freeway which is less than a mile away from my house. I started getting severe vibration at about 80m/hr. I immediately got off the freeway and did the rest of my driving through the city. The next day I went back on the freeway and everything was fine
Old 10-03-06 | 02:26 AM
JTMav
Intermediate

Default Update

Originally Posted by 1NICESC430
JT ...

Update:
After rebalancing and rotating the tires about 70% of the vibration is gone and what remains is now subtely in the front convincing both the service manager and myself it is uneven tire wear. According to him very common in the SC.
It is much better and I can't complain about the service people they did everything I asked without a charge for any of it. Just have to live with this till I replace the tire which I have enjoyed so far. Bigger question is what do I replace the Goodyears with?

Thanks to a great group and all your advice.

JTMav

Quick Reply: Riddle me this Batman