rock chips on hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-06, 09:15 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rock chips on hood

Hey guys,
I've read the threads about the clear bra but wanted to ask for some opinions out there. I own an 04 midnight green/sable sc430 and continue to be chronically disturbed by the growing number of tiny chips almost like a fune "dust cloud" on my lower hood/upper front bumper. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the clear bra from the start. However, I touched up the first several, then I kind of got used to it, but it just keeps getting worse. So I am planning to get the clear bra. But my plan is to wait until it gets slightly worse, then get the hood repainted and take it right over to an Xpel dealer. I figure it's not going to look great again unless I get it redone - then of course I need to protect it. I figure it'll cost me $800-1000 for the paint job, then another $400-500 for the clear bra and installation. I live in the New York city/Northern NJ area so if anybody out there knows of a good body shop or clear bra dealer/installer please let me know. Also, I'm a little worried that the paint won't match perfectly and I fully expect to have to ask the body shop to blend in the paint on the front sides. The question is, do you think it's worth my investment? Do you think it really will look perfect again (and undetectable)? I guess I figure this is the only way to get it back to top shape and keep it that way. I figure I'll get my estimates in order and take it in after the winter season. For now, I think I'm going to order one of those "Autosharp" pens and grin and bear it for a while.
Old 10-03-06, 10:02 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if the shop do a good job on the painting (that's the key), the result could be very nice and you are just like getting a new car. and i would definitely put on clear bra myself. that's why i put on the clear bra since day 1 anyway

good luck!
Old 10-05-06, 10:29 AM
DChuka
Driver

Originally Posted by petergerst
Hey guys,
I've read the threads about the clear bra but wanted to ask for some opinions out there. I own an 04 midnight green/sable sc430 and continue to be chronically disturbed by the growing number of tiny chips almost like a fune "dust cloud" on my lower hood/upper front bumper. If I had to do it over again I would have bought the clear bra from the start. However, I touched up the first several, then I kind of got used to it, but it just keeps getting worse. So I am planning to get the clear bra. But my plan is to wait until it gets slightly worse, then get the hood repainted and take it right over to an Xpel dealer. I figure it's not going to look great again unless I get it redone - then of course I need to protect it. I figure it'll cost me $800-1000 for the paint job, then another $400-500 for the clear bra and installation. I live in the New York city/Northern NJ area so if anybody out there knows of a good body shop or clear bra dealer/installer please let me know. Also, I'm a little worried that the paint won't match perfectly and I fully expect to have to ask the body shop to blend in the paint on the front sides. The question is, do you think it's worth my investment? Do you think it really will look perfect again (and undetectable)? I guess I figure this is the only way to get it back to top shape and keep it that way. I figure I'll get my estimates in order and take it in after the winter season. For now, I think I'm going to order one of those "Autosharp" pens and grin and bear it for a while.
If you're anywhere near Edison, I can strongly recommend Ultimate Collision on Rt. 1. I just took my '02 SC in for repairs and repainting after someone tried to steal it. They work on a lot of high end vehicles and do plenty of custom work. They matched the paint beautifully (Twilight Amethyst Pearl) and know how to take care of the car while it's there. The owner's name is Gerry.

Good Luck!

Doug
Old 10-05-06, 10:46 AM
petergerst
Rookie

How much do you think I should expect to pay to have the hood repainted/possible color blended into the side panels? Also I live very close by. Do you know any good places out in North Jersey to get a clear bra product installed (that is, after I get the hood repainted sometime soon). Thanks for your help.
Old 10-05-06, 11:32 AM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Default Xpel Clear Bra

GO TO EXPEL.COM FOR A LIST OF DEALERS / INSTALLERS

IF YOU NEED A KIT IAM A DEALER ASLO AND WILL HELP YOU WITH THAT

GEE-BEE
Old 10-05-06, 01:19 PM
petergerst
Rookie

Hi there,
I'd love to purchase from you. I think the hardest part would be trying to find a good installer near me. I called a couple places and couldn't find someone who would do the installation if the product was purhcased elsewhere. I live in northern New Jersey/New York City area. I called a couple of the recommended XPel installers from the Xpel website and they told me "we're not just installing anymore", ie. that is, unless you don't purchase from them also. I think I might try calling a few more dealers and see if I get the same response. Any bright ideas?
Old 10-05-06, 02:25 PM
camillian
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by rominl
if the shop do a good job on the painting (that's the key), the result could be very nice and you are just like getting a new car. and i would definitely put on clear bra myself. that's why i put on the clear bra since day 1 anyway

good luck!
Henry, Gee Bee

Both of you put it on? How does it look on the white? I've heard it looks yellow or turns yellow after a while. That's why I haven't put it on. I do have a couple of stone chips though and I 'de like to prevent more.
Old 10-05-06, 10:49 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, i maintain it pretty ok, when dirty you can see them, but otherwise they are prety invisible i say
Old 10-05-06, 11:47 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too had rock chips all over the place. I had my hood, front bumper, front air dam, and both front quarter panels painted, and I just had a clear bra installed. What a difference. Definitely worth it.

Dan
Old 10-06-06, 01:00 AM
billy44bo
Lexus Test Driver

You must let the new paint set up for 30 to 45 days to let the new paint off gas before you have the clear bra put on or in will bubble up in places.
Old 10-06-06, 05:25 AM
camillian
Lead Lap

Wow, I checked my area on the net for xpel and there is only one dealer. However he only has 1 star out of 5 from xpel for volume done. That means he doesn't have much experience. That scares me with all the curves on this front end.

I wonder if I could do a better job myself with a little more care?
Old 10-06-06, 07:48 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Checked on the price for this Xpel factory trained dealer in my local area. Hood, fenders mirrors and bumper $750 out the door, plus I have a black car and the film would showup about as much as using touchup paint when I got a nick. I don't think this stuff is worth it. JMHO
Old 10-06-06, 09:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by Dan_K
I too had rock chips all over the place. I had my hood, front bumper, front air dam, and both front quarter panels painted, and I just had a clear bra installed. What a difference. Definitely worth it.

Dan
ah very nice that's the right way to protect your car
Old 10-06-06, 03:32 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
ah very nice that's the right way to protect your car
Why, is something wrong with this?
Attached Thumbnails rock chips on hood-img_0001-2.jpg  
Old 10-06-06, 06:41 PM
bizdev_guy
Driver School Candidate

The trick is getting the car home from the body shop without sustaining anymore chips.

Depending on the weather, you do need to let the paint cure for about 2-3 weeks prior to having the clear bra applied. I swear by the AeroTect clear bra I have on my SC. As for installation, you definitely need to find a good pro. I've witness two installations and the installer not only needs to be experienced, he has to be meticulous. I have a WALD front lip on my SC, so the custom work required a bit more time. As for the film turning yellow, I haven't noticed that on my SC yet. I've had it for almost 2 years now.

Quick Reply: rock chips on hood