SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Temporary Front License Plate Attachment

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-06, 08:30 PM
GFTSFG
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Temporary Front License Plate Attachment

I'm a long time viewer of the forum, and have enjoyed my 2003 SC430 for nearly 3-years (I bought it new in 2002), but I have a problem, and hope some of the experienced members can make a recommendation.

I was driving home late last night, and merged into an exit lane only to discover a highway patrol car behind me. I glanced down and was a little above 70MPH (in a 65MPH zone).

He pulled me over, but realized it was a close call, and decided to write me up for not having a front license plate (a correctable infraction).

Does anyone have a creative idea how I can attach my front plate (with or without the Lexus bracket), without drilling holes in the front bumper?

I appreciate any ideas - THANK YOU for your responses, and over 3-years of great information on the SC430!!!
Old 10-23-06, 11:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

zip ties always work
Old 10-24-06, 12:11 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

I just went through the dilema of patching up those damn drilled holes. If zip ties don't work for you, and you get them drilled, I paid a Lexus foreman $80 cash under the table at a Lex dealership to patch them up for me. I had a friend who took 2 strong magnets and glued one to his license plate, and slipped the other one behind his bumper. Then you could stick it on or off with force, and no holes. It was strong enough to hold going 80 on the highway. Just dont let some yahoo run off with your plate!
Old 10-24-06, 12:45 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
I just went through the dilema of patching up those damn drilled holes. If zip ties don't work for you, and you get them drilled, I paid a Lexus foreman $80 cash under the table at a Lex dealership to patch them up for me.
How did he patch it? Strip the paint, filled the holes w/bondo & then repaint? If so, that's pretty cheap for all that work. You could also go to www.bumperplugs.com & pay $25/pair. I hear they're pretty popular on the Porsche forums.
Old 10-24-06, 12:52 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

I considered the bumper plugs for abt 30 seconds and came to the conclusion that I'd never be happy with bumps ruining the lines. He did exactly like you said, and since it was a lexus dealership, you know the paint and work will not be crappy, atleast it shouldn't be for the price you're supposed to pay. Its been several months and it still looks like new, take a look...
Attached Thumbnails Temporary Front License Plate Attachment-sspx0146.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 12:54 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

take a look at the before... yikes!
Attached Thumbnails Temporary Front License Plate Attachment-127208003461_290.jpg  
Old 10-24-06, 12:58 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Looks good!
Old 10-24-06, 11:11 AM
Samanator
Rookie

You may want to look at some of the european cars like Audi. My TT came with a bracket that had arms that would require holes under the bumper (if that is OK). This mounted by push pin fasteners so there were no screws and could be removed easily. This removes the need for holes in the visable portion of the bumper. Since almost every AUDI comes with these in every state there should be a wealth of these cluttering garages in states that do not use two tags. Unfortunatly mine is in the trunk for the new owner of the TT.

Last edited by Samanator; 10-24-06 at 12:17 PM.
Old 10-24-06, 12:26 PM
Samanator
Rookie

You may want to try this instead. http://www.petitiononline.com/caplate/petition.html

This would solve everything.
Old 10-24-06, 02:30 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

man you got one of those petitions for texas?
Old 10-24-06, 05:45 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Here's a good solution for you. Use double sided tape and just stick the damn thing on the front. But wait. Use a trick that my cousin did and take a couple of screws and cut the heads off and then just glue the heads to the license plate. It looks so real that no one will even question it.

Then when your done, just pull it off and save it for next time. But just a little warning. My friends just went thru this and you can get a ticket in LA (SoCal) for no front plate if your car is even parked on a city street. But here's the real kicker, the first ticket is a fix-it. Ten bucks. The second is a fine (I don't remember the exact amounts but it wasn't bad) the third is over $100 and the fourth is like in the $300 range. Its not worth it past the first ticket, so once you use your "get out of Jail free" card, i would suggest leaving it on..

Mine is still off and I have no holes and I don't know how much longer my luck is going to hold out. There are making a pretty big push here in Cali for the front plates (I'm guesssing because of all the photo radar BS and photo stop lights).
Old 10-24-06, 06:40 PM
mole
Lexus Test Driver

[QUOTE=Samanator;2200275]My TT came with a bracket that had arms that would require holes under the bumper (if that is OK).QUOTE]

When I had my front bumper painted on my GS, I had holes drilled under the front bumper so I could attach the temporary holder when necessary.

On another note, I signed the petition and fully expect to be pulled over in the next two days for no front license plate... It's the optimist in me that makes me think that way.
Old 10-25-06, 08:52 AM
Samanator
Rookie

On another note, I signed the petition and fully expect to be pulled over in the next two days for no front license plate... It's the optimist in me that makes me think that way. [/QUOTE]

I found that anyone can sign the petition for CA regardless of state (No zip code required to sign). So I signed also to help you guys out with this law. Others here on the formum can help out.
Old 10-25-06, 09:11 PM
GFTSFG
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks!

These are GREAT recommendations, and I will sign the petition!

I REALLY APPRECIATE THE IDEAS!
Old 10-27-06, 10:52 AM
Samanator
Rookie

Originally Posted by TEXAS83
man you got one of those petitions for texas?
Ask and you shall receive.

http://www.petitiononline.com/txplate/petition.html

Quick Reply: Temporary Front License Plate Attachment