SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Tein EDFC

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06 | 11:21 AM
talwang

Default Tein EDFC

I finally had the EDFC installed.
FYI, my setup is Tein CST coilovers + new version EDFC.

Met a couple of cool CL members (hunglo & ???) at a local car meet here in Houston and they did it for me free of charge.
I couldn't find any mechanic who has some experience in installing that EDFC in Lexus especially a SC430.

Man..it was major pain in *** to do it on this car. I had to call Todd @TM Engineering for help.
Basically, we had to remove a lot of interior trim (trunk, rear seat...).
Believe it or not, the temp control unit and the radio had to be removed as well.
I had thought it was only a two hour job, but it took us almost the whole afternoon instead.

I am not good at words, but my advice to you is you should find someone who really knows what he is doing.
Even an experienced person like hunglo, who is quite careful and knows how to do a clean install, still broke something when he first dealed with my SC430.
For Houstonian, you now should know hunglo is the right guy you should ask for the installation.

Also, I found that rear motors fit nicely under SC430 rear side panels in trunk without any height clearance issue probably because of the newly desiged upper mount (see pics).

The only issue is I have no idea how to attach that rubber cover on the rear motors once they are screwed onto that piston shaft because my hand is not small enough to work around the rear motors which sit within the newly designed upper mount.

My sc with 100 coats of Zaino right before the EDFC installation.

Front

Rear

EDFC control unit in the car

Old 10-25-06 | 09:39 PM
margaux01
Driver

Talwang, I am not 'technical' and I don't really comprehend what you talked about but your car is beautiful in the pic Did you say 100 coats of Zaino would do that shine? So I need another 98 coats then
Old 10-25-06 | 10:06 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

That rear trunk carpet is a Pain in the butt to get out.
Old 10-26-06 | 07:52 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KevsSC
That rear trunk carpet is a Pain in the butt to get out.

yup it is. sucks if you dont got that t-25 or t-30
Old 10-26-06 | 09:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
yup it is. sucks if you dont got that t-25 or t-30
very true. that special tool comes in very very handy
Old 10-26-06 | 09:39 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by margaux01
Talwang, I am not 'technical' and I don't really comprehend what you talked about but your car is beautiful in the pic Did you say 100 coats of Zaino would do that shine? So I need another 98 coats then
haha.. don't think too many people are interested in that Tein EDFC.
FYI, the old Tein CS has a little height clearence issuse on the rear motors.
herragge is the only member here who has CS + EDFC.

The new Tein CST doesn't seem to have that same issue since the motors will sit deep inside the rear upper mounts.

Yup, 100 coats will do that shine.
I forgot to mention I have 6 coats of NXT on that sc as well.
I suggest you should Zaino it with zfx to make your life a lot easier.
Old 10-26-06 | 09:45 AM
talwang

yup it is PIA to remove all the trunk trims.

However, I haven't really put those clips and tool box back to the trunk since I upgraded the 06 tail lights.
I still haven't...because I am waiting for pearlpower's update for the rearview camera.
Old 10-26-06 | 01:52 PM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Very cool.
Old 10-26-06 | 03:34 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Talwang how low did you drop the car?
Old 10-26-06 | 04:34 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by KevsSC
Talwang how low did you drop the car?
I just use the standard setting from Tein.

Probably an inch or so all around.

Last edited by talwang; 10-26-06 at 05:46 PM.
Old 10-27-06 | 11:44 PM
herragge
Pole Position

Originally Posted by talwang
haha.. don't think too many people are interested in that Tein EDFC.
FYI, the old Tein CS has a little height clearence issuse on the rear motors.
herragge is the only member here who has CS + EDFC.

The new Tein CST doesn't seem to have that same issue since the motors will sit deep inside the rear upper mounts.

Yup, 100 coats will do that shine.
I forgot to mention I have 6 coats of NXT on that sc as well.
I suggest you should Zaino it with zfx to make your life a lot easier.
Great job Talwang!

Glad I'm not the only member who has this now! Yes, the older Tein CS model does interfere slightly with the rear trim and the motors touch it however it doesn't interfere with the motors movement. Good info that the newer updated version allows the motors to sit in deeper, that will come in handy.

I haven't actually seen pics of you car, but WHOA! VERY sharp! Looks immaculate and very clean, love the wheels and front lip. I know you probably researched pretty hard to find the perfect match on your body styling and it paid off! Looks great!

I also mounted my EDFC in the same place; very clean and looks factory. And yeah it isn't a quick install, quite involved actually!

More PICS talwang!!!

Steve
Old 10-28-06 | 09:53 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by herragge
Great job Talwang!

Glad I'm not the only member who has this now! Yes, the older Tein CS model does interfere slightly with the rear trim and the motors touch it however it doesn't interfere with the motors movement. Good info that the newer updated version allows the motors to sit in deeper, that will come in handy.

I haven't actually seen pics of you car, but WHOA! VERY sharp! Looks immaculate and very clean, love the wheels and front lip. I know you probably researched pretty hard to find the perfect match on your body styling and it paid off! Looks great!

I also mounted my EDFC in the same place; very clean and looks factory. And yeah it isn't a quick install, quite involved actually!

More PICS talwang!!!

Steve
Hi Steve

My car stands no chance to compete with your AutoCouture sc which is still one of the legend here. Actually, you are the one who gives me the idea where I should mount my EDFC.
I had to remove my Tom's STB in order to install that EDFC, but I don't regret it at all. At least my Tom's roof spoiler can still get to stay tight on my car. haha..

Unlike most of the newbies here, old members are much more decent and tend to do more intense homework in their SC. I strongly believe that is why all the nicest SCs here on this forum only come from old members like you,gsxotic,rominl..etc.

I am still doing my homework for side skirts to match my front and rear lip kit.
Here is another pic taken by someone at a local car meet here in Houston.
People are probably more interested in that silver Nissan Skyline in front of my sc.

Old 10-28-06 | 04:59 PM
Hunglo
Driver

Originally Posted by talwang
I finally had the EDFC installed.
FYI, my setup is Tein CST coilovers + new version EDFC.

Met a couple of cool CL members (hunglo & ???) at a local car meet here in Houston and they did it for me free of charge.
I couldn't find any mechanic who has some experience in installing that EDFC in Lexus especially a SC430.

Man..it was major pain in *** to do it on this car. I had to call Todd @TM Engineering for help.
Basically, we had to remove a lot of interior trim (trunk, rear seat...).
Believe it or not, the temp control unit and the radio had to be removed as well.
I had thought it was only a two hour job, but it took us almost the whole afternoon instead.

I am not good at words, but my advice to you is you should find someone who really knows what he is doing.
Even an experienced person like hunglo, who is quite careful and knows how to do a clean install, still broke something when he first dealed with my SC430.
For Houstonian, you now should know hunglo is the right guy you should ask for the installation.

Also, I found that rear motors fit nicely under SC430 rear side panels in trunk without any height clearance issue probably because of the newly desiged upper mount (see pics).

The only issue is I have no idea how to attach that rubber cover on the rear motors once they are screwed onto that piston shaft because my hand is not small enough to work around the rear motors which sit within the newly designed upper mount.

My sc with 100 coats of Zaino right before the EDFC installation.

Front

Rear

EDFC control unit in the car

lol, srry about the back tabs from the face, no one was suppose to know about it but it shouldnt be loose, the edfc was easy to install, it was just taking apart the sc430 radio that was hard, never done one before, eh that part of the story never needs mentioning again, but i have done sc300, sc400, ls400, gs300, and gs400, it was fun working on your car, good exp. points bet you never expected a big oaf like me to specialize in lexus only did ya? lol its cool, i peep you soon at pz, if your going, i think we roll by around 10 or so, lates

hung
Old 10-28-06 | 05:55 PM
talwang

Man.. I thought you said you wouldn't go.

I'll pass this one because I have other plan tonight in Clear Lake plus today's pz car meet is for HARAJUKU HALLOWEEN PARTY. I don't even have a costume to dress up.
May I suggest the best costume for you ? How about ? hahaha

I'll buy you guys dinner right before the next pz meet.
I am aware that you at least specialize in Honda and Acura as well.
You will be the right guy for those Houston members who buy Tein products, but don't know whom to trust for nice clean install.
Old 10-30-06 | 04:21 PM
Hunglo
Driver

we did go, but now everything is being parted out of the lex, up for grabs, oodles of lex parts now,
the meet was alright not that crowded, but we got there lil after 11, but congrats on the hoes increasing in numbers
check ya later man

Quick Reply: Tein EDFC