SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

transmission oil change maintance?

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-06, 05:53 PM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default transmission oil change maintance?

Hi! I would like to know how often transmission oil needs to be changed and what kind of oil is the best. My car has 45.000 miles and it has never been changed, is that fine? Thanks
Old 10-25-06, 06:21 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd NEVER leave the tranny oil that long. I'll 'drain and replace' it every 15K miles, since you can only drain about 1/2 the volume at best.

In your case, you'll probably have to flush it, but I don't like doing that. Or change the oil 3 times in succession (50 to 100 miles apart). I liked my Navigator because I could drain the converter, but Jap companies don't put a drain bolt. I'd rather do a 3X drain than a flush, even if more expensive, but that's just my opinion. Have heard horror stories about flushes, even in relatively new trannies like yours, so I'm a big-time skeptic on those.

Pour a few drops of oil on a white kitchen towel. Hopefully oil is still red; if brown, you'll need a rebuild a lot sooner than normal. Plus you'd have to replace it like NOW. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 10-25-06, 07:05 PM
Tammy
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What year vehicle is yours?

Does it have a transmission dip stick?

If so, the ATF fluid type should be indicated on the dip stick.
Old 10-25-06, 07:20 PM
lexuslover
MultiTasking Mom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

my dealer does it at every 30k major service. i'm at 55k so i have had it done once. the next one will be in another few months. i haven't had any issues with them doing it at these intervals.

Edit: oops, sorry, i thought this was the RX forum - i don't know if the procedure is the same for the SC, but i think it probably is.

Last edited by lexuslover; 10-25-06 at 07:21 PM. Reason: wrong forum!
Old 10-25-06, 09:09 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I knew a guy that was a transmission industry expert, he told me that transmission fluid never wears out. It's in a sealed system and any wear metal is caught in the magnet. He said that the only thing that will ruin transmission fluid is heat that is higher then what the fluid was designed to handle. Normally in a passenger car that is driven "normally" you would never need to change the fluid. Trucks that are worked hard are different or cars that are raced or abused. Your Lexus maintance manual never indicates that the transmission ever needs to be serviced. So I would say that you could put a couple of hundred thousand miles on your Lexus and never have to service the transmission as long as you don't abuse it. Now after telling you what the average consumer can get away with, I have to say that I have any car that I've owned transmission serviced every 30K miles and have never had a problem, but per this transmission expert I would not of had a problem if I never had them serviced???
Old 10-25-06, 11:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow, never been done? poor car..... it should be done at 30k intervals at the most. i do it every 15k. i always use toyota type iv tranny fluid, carefully, put in the wrong one and you will be in deep trouble
Old 10-26-06, 07:44 PM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks for the info.

Well the car is 2002. I habe bought it used and the previouse owner told me that he did not maintane the car at the dealership and he had never changed the transmision oil. So I guess I have to do it now. But I just whanted to know where will be the best place to change it and what type of oil I should use. Thanks
Old 10-26-06, 07:52 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by juguryan
Thanks for the info.

Well the car is 2002. I habe bought it used and the previouse owner told me that he did not maintane the car at the dealership and he had never changed the transmision oil. So I guess I have to do it now. But I just whanted to know where will be the best place to change it and what type of oil I should use. Thanks
I would have the Lexus dealer service it. They don't charge that much for a transmission service and you will know that your getting the correct fluid and service. I think my dealer charges $75 for a transmission service.
Old 10-26-06, 08:25 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

I'd also do it at the dealer this time around. They know these cars, and can tell you if something doesn't look good. By the way, request to talk to the mechanic doing the work so you can pick his brains.

And just like Max commented, fluid can still be okay, but tranny fluid DOES burn (fluid turns brown), and at that point, you might as well have water in there, because it's not going to lubricate crap. Prolonged idling in hot weather is brutal to fluid (bumber-to-bumper traffic, border crossing lines, etc), and even some of that would require the 'severe' maintenance schedule, which is every 15K miles. Pray that the previous owner never subjected your car to any of that.
The good news is a RWD tranny is much more robust than a FWD, and holds more fluid as well. Good luck, and keep us posted.
Old 10-27-06, 01:17 AM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

Thanks.

I will do it at the dealer for sure know and will let you know how much they charge me.
Old 10-27-06, 02:52 PM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

I just got a quote from the dealer for changeing the transmision oil and it was $375. Regular oil change places qutoing it at $75. What shoul I do know?
Thanks
Old 10-27-06, 03:38 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

I just got a quote from the dealer for changeing the transmision oil and it was $375. Regular oil change places qutoing it at $75. What shoul I do know?
Thanks
My dealer was $75, wow any other Lexus dealers in your area? What are they doing for $375? Hell the whole 30K mile service at my Lexus dealer is around $700 and they change every fluid and filter in the car along with a lot of other stuff.
Old 10-27-06, 08:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks
ask them for 375 is that FULL tranny flush or they just drain the pan and add fluid. that's very different
Old 10-27-06, 08:30 PM
DonJuan45i
Lead Lap

would toyota do it???
Old 10-28-06, 12:00 AM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

I was told it is the tranny flush that cost $375. Isn't that what needs to be done?

Quick Reply: transmission oil change maintance?