SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

updated 06 gauage cluster/speedo

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-06, 10:47 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default updated 06 gauage cluster/speedo

Has anyone updated there gauage cluster to the 06 ones? They light up much nicer than the 02-05 ones. I know that the 06s have the tiptronic and doesnt have the L,2.3.4 gears but can this update be done? Or atleast the needles be changed to the 06 white ones?

heres the diff
2002-2005
Attached Thumbnails updated 06 gauage cluster/speedo-1275244_30.jpg  
Old 10-27-06, 10:48 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

heres the 2006
Attached Thumbnails updated 06 gauage cluster/speedo-06.jpg  
Old 10-27-06, 10:53 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

I dont think mine light up like these....

these seem to light up like the new ES350 and IS's
Attached Images
File Type: bmp
06 speedo2.bmp (48.3 KB, 434 views)
Old 10-27-06, 11:07 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I really do not see much difference and prefer the red needles myself.
But to answer your question, this would be very involved as the shift indicator are not the same as they both use different trannies.
Lee
Old 10-27-06, 12:11 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Default Why all the fuss?

I've been reading in various threads about owners with the '02-'05 models enquiring about ways to update their SC 430s to look more like the '06, '07 models, be it with the rear light changes, new stock wheels, new front lamps, etc.

And now a thread on upgrading the stick shift and instrument panel??? That involves a transmission change, I might add.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the newer model? It's sure better than Frankensteining your SC to look like the newer models. I don't see anything wrong with the '02-'05 models, so why not just enjoy them as they are?

Just wondering out loud...
Old 10-27-06, 08:15 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by gokaden
I've been reading in various threads about owners with the '02-'05 models enquiring about ways to update their SC 430s to look more like the '06, '07 models, be it with the rear light changes, new stock wheels, new front lamps, etc.

And now a thread on upgrading the stick shift and instrument panel??? That involves a transmission change, I might add.

Wouldn't it be easier to just buy the newer model? It's sure better than Frankensteining your SC to look like the newer models. I don't see anything wrong with the '02-'05 models, so why not just enjoy them as they are?

except it's a lot more expensive. i for one didn't upgrade the taillights coz' i want to look like 06, that's stupid. i upgraded coz' it looks nicer. same with the guage, i would love to do it but too hard

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I really do not see much difference and prefer the red needles myself.
But to answer your question, this would be very involved as the shift indicator are not the same as they both use different trannies.
Lee
lee you have to see it in person. basically it's like the GS and LS, when the car is shut off, it's all black. when you put in the key, everything lights up. completely different from ours

but i hav eto say, i looked, it's hard
Old 10-28-06, 08:02 AM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by gokaden

I don't think any of the changes are that good except the 6 speed transmission and the LED tail lights.
Old 10-28-06, 09:59 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Max707
I don't think any of the changes are that good except the 6 speed transmission and the LED tail lights.
In my personal case, just the tranny. I used to dislike the gauges, but I like the old ones slightly better than the new ones now. All other changes, I like my 'old' car better. I'd prefer an all-LED taillight, but not the half-a$$ job Lexus did. I put amber LEDs on my BMW motorcycle a long time ago, so it's not like they're not available.
JC

Last edited by JCtx; 10-28-06 at 10:04 AM.
Old 10-29-06, 12:21 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

Originally Posted by rominl
except it's a lot more expensive. i for one didn't upgrade the taillights coz' i want to look like 06, that's stupid. i upgraded coz' it looks nicer. same with the guage, i would love to do it but too hard

lee you have to see it in person. basically it's like the GS and LS, when the car is shut off, it's all black. when you put in the key, everything lights up. completely different from ours

but i hav eto say, i looked, it's hard
....exactly

Im not trying to look like an 06 its just that the 06s have nicer/new parts. but yes the 06 cluster is different and its nice.
Old 10-29-06, 12:42 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Without a doubt the LED tails are one of the nicer upgrades I have done to the car. Even if they were not LEDs the difference is striking and has received many compliments-most recently from my neighbor.
Old 10-30-06, 03:31 PM
whokiid
Driver

kind of off topic, but what exactly are the differences between the 06 and the 02-05 models? i know the head/tail lights are new, the 6 speed tranny is new, and new wheels are available, but aside from that, are there any more minute differences?
Old 10-30-06, 05:10 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by whokiid
kind of off topic, but what exactly are the differences between the 06 and the 02-05 models? i know the head/tail lights are new, the 6 speed tranny is new, and new wheels are available, but aside from that, are there any more minute differences?
Nothing worth mentioning
Old 10-30-06, 06:51 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by whokiid
Also, starting in 05' bluetooth was available. Adaptive front lighting (headlights turn w/steering wheel) in 06' which helps out very much at night time especially in an unfamiliar area. If you drive a pre-06' vs. an 06'+ then you would notice a huge difference w/the transmission. In other words, much less lag in the 6-speed tranny. Oh yeah, knee airbags & single windshield wiper in 07'
Old 11-07-06, 12:16 AM
SunnyG
Driver School Candidate

is the pre-06 vs. '06+ transmission change really significant? i'm wondering how much change it translates to in the real world. maybe i'll test drive one the next time i take it in for service.
Old 11-07-06, 12:53 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by SunnyG
is the pre-06 vs. '06+ transmission change really significant? i'm wondering how much change it translates to in the real world. maybe i'll test drive one the next time i take it in for service.
imho, very significant. i drove the 03 and 04 ls430, as well as 05 and 06 sc430 (both went from 4.3 5 speed to 4.3 6 speed). the 6 speed is smoother, throttle response much faster, and the car is faster (a tad)

Quick Reply: updated 06 gauage cluster/speedo