SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

08 Sc430

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-06 | 08:20 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

Default 08 Sc430

Is Lexus really coming up with a complete body style for the 08 SC430? I really like the current model, both interior and exterior, but if 08 is a complete redesign, then perhaps it's worth the wait.

Also, what do you think about the SLK350 or even the SLK55 AMG? I know this is Club Lexus but just want to get some input. I test drive all three (SK280, SK350 and SLK55 AMG), and the SK350 seems to fit my needs better although AMG is FAST....I really don't need all that power. The interior of SC430 is much more luxurious and better looking. My other alternative is to wait for the IS500, which I've heard from the other board that it may be a convertible as well. But who knows if that will even happen. Well, I'm not in a hurry....just shopping around for my future car and leading towards a convertible as my next stop. I have to say, driving my dad's SC430 is fun and the deciding factor towards getting a convertible.

Btw, if any of you been to a MB dealership, do you find the salespeople snotty? I get better treatment at Lexus dealer or perhaps I'm driving in with a Lexus...so they assume I'm a loyal customer.
Old 11-04-06 | 08:39 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

Originally Posted by Cali_Girl
Is Lexus really coming up with a complete body style for the 08 SC430? I really like the current model, both interior and exterior, but if 08 is a complete redesign, then perhaps it's worth the wait.
have not heard that even mentioned, i would doubt it
Old 11-04-06 | 08:44 AM
Cali_Girl
Pole Position

I've heard it somewhere....maybe this forum and some car magazine.
Old 11-04-06 | 09:32 AM
jjbodean
Lexus Test Driver
CL Folding 25,000

new product i have heard is the new is in the spring, ls600hl in the spring, new lx vehicle in the fall, nothing on a new sc
Old 11-04-06 | 10:06 AM
Neo
The One

Although is is a lot of speculations at this point, the number I keep running across is 09 (which will mean released in 08). This is still 1.5 - 2 years away. Not sure what your wiating time frame is.
Old 11-04-06 | 10:56 AM
Shawn808
Driver

This is what I have read online:

"Lastly, the report indicates a successor to the Lexus SC 430 will arrive in 2008, using the IS/GS platform and a 4.6-liter V8. It will apparently feature "proportions and stance similar to those of a BMW 6 series."

I got it from this site: http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/08/...ew-sc-in-2008/

Although IMO I dont know the future of the SC430 esp. if the IS convertible and LF-A supercar come out. Toyota only has so much cash for R&D and most of it seems spent on the IS droptop and LF-A.

And sources say the LF-A will be comming out:

http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/t...lf-a-spy-shots

Making the LF-A the flagship lexus sports car. Plus SC430 sales are not really high for lexus as the IS platform is. Lets just hope they keep making the SC and it doesnt get lost in the middle of the lexus lineup.
Old 11-04-06 | 11:28 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

yeah, personally i don't think we will see the new SC next yr as 08 model, i havea heard some cars coming out but the SC is not on the list

for mb, i don't know, never like the slk. way too small, way too expensive (overpriced). i hate the nose of the new one, just like the slr which looks aweful. to me the comparable mb would be the clk instead

for is500, it's a totally different car, so you want to make sure what kind of cars you want first
Old 11-04-06 | 12:00 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

>>Plus SC430 sales are not really high for lexus as the IS platform is.<<

Why would any company sell more of thier expensive coupes than one of their lowest priced 4 doors in their lineup? Thats like saying I wonder why the Supra didn't outsell the Corolla? Or why would Nissan come out with a new Z when it doesn't sell as good as the Altima?

The SC isn't a high volume car and I'm probably sure Toyota doesn't want to spend a whole lot of cash on remaking a car that is really only there to make the brand look more sporty and trust me, Lexus needs it. I would bet on the 09 or later remake. The last SC lasted over 10 years and it was waaaaayyy over due, where I think the current SC is just in the starting process of needing one.
Old 11-04-06 | 12:40 PM
Shawn808
Driver

hi hipendicul
Whoa dont take my quote out of context dude. The next sentence was "Lets just hope they keep making the SC and it doesnt get lost in the middle of the lexus lineup." (Note: lost in the middle of the lexus lineup)

What I was saying is that its just economics. Since they seem to be making the LF-A and a IS convertible they have to justify the cost of keeping the SC in the line up. It costs money to make the SC and since its a low production car compared to the IS they have to justify the cost of making the car and keep selling them. (The IS is thier bread and butter) Also with the IS convertible and LF-A I am sure the SC sales numbers wont go up since there is more choice now.

Up till now there was no car to compete with the SC for a sporty 2 door car from lexus. But if they make the IS convertible and LF-A then money has to come from somewhere. Plus this puts the SC in a "gap" that it wasnt in before. Between a highend sports car and a cheaper sports car. Up till now the SC has been Lexus's flagship "sports" car. If you had the money and wanted a sporty 2 door lexus the SC was your only choice.

True lexus's bread and butter is the IS and they do sell more. (I know this hehe ) but when they produce the IS convertible AND LF-A the SC will be in a gap between those two cars. And as I said "Plus SC430 sales are not really high for lexus as the IS platform is." That means that lexus does not get that much money per SC sold.(The SC is not their cash cow) So they are producing a car that has low sales volume. So what I was saying was "Lets just hope they keep making the SC and it doesnt get lost in the middle of the lexus lineup."

Does that make sense now? I never said the SC -should- sell more then the IS? If anything I said that "SC430 sales are not really high for lexus as the IS platform is" and I think thats a fact.

I dont know where you get that I think the SC should be selling more from?
Old 11-04-06 | 01:33 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

I haven't contributed on the board for a while but I have to chime in. Gentlemen, relax. I don't think anyone means any disrespect on this thread. I know that the earliest the new SC will come out is late 2008, if not 2009 as at least an '09 model, just like Neo stated. I also know for sure that there are several supercars in testing and the one in Gemany is just the suspension car. The real ones are being tested elsewhere, can't reveal where though . As others have stated, the SC will be on the IS platform and using the 4.6. As for the other stuff, we'll have to wait and see. Oh, but do we really want the first year model. Trust me when I say no.

P.S. A quick hello to Henry and Ken. Dudes, we have to talk.
Old 11-04-06 | 01:40 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

A masked test mule hardtop convertible version of the LF-A has also been spotted testing before, so another possibility is that the next SC will be based on that
Old 11-04-06 | 01:57 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Shawn808
What I was saying is that its just economics. Since they seem to be making the LF-A and a IS convertible they have to justify the cost of keeping the SC in the line up. It costs money to make the SC and since its a low production car compared to the IS they have to justify the cost of making the car and keep selling them. (The IS is thier bread and butter) Also with the IS convertible and LF-A I am sure the SC sales numbers wont go up since there is more choice now.

Up till now there was no car to compete with the SC for a sporty 2 door car from lexus. But if they make the IS convertible and LF-A then money has to come from somewhere. Plus this puts the SC in a "gap" that it wasnt in before. Between a highend sports car and a cheaper sports car. Up till now the SC has been Lexus's flagship "sports" car. If you had the money and wanted a sporty 2 door lexus the SC was your only choice. :
First of all, Toyota has way more money to spend on R & D or anything else than Mercedes & BMW combined, so I don't think money is an issue with them, The question is HOW they want to spend them, to produce a wide variety of car models(like Mercedes), or to use their resources with maximum efficency to get the best financial results but with less models.
Even with the LF-A supercar & an IS350 convertible supposedly coming out, a new SC would still serve it's purpose in the Lexus line-up if it remain a luxury cruiser convertible as the current car is now, The Lexus line-up would still be narrower than Mercedes in coupe/convertibles, with the C-coupe, SLK, CLK, CLS, SL, CL with their numerous variants plus the SLR supercar. The SL, & particularly the CL are not big sellers, yet they keep producing them, & even rumoured to be thinking of adding a 4 door S-Class convertible . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-04-06 at 02:00 PM.
Old 11-04-06 | 02:10 PM
Shawn808
Driver

>>Plus SC430 sales are not really high for lexus as the IS platform is.<<

Why would any company sell more of thier expensive coupes than one of their lowest priced 4 doors in their lineup? Thats like saying I wonder why the Supra didn't outsell the Corolla? Or why would Nissan come out with a new Z when it doesn't sell as good as the Altima?
Thanks lex that makes sense also. However do you think what hipendicul said about my comment is true? I think its taken out of context.
Old 11-04-06 | 11:48 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Shawn808
Thanks lex that makes sense also. However do you think what hipendicul said about my comment is true? I think its taken out of context.
I don't know if there is any other way to take it. You basicly said that the IS platform sells more than the SC. And I agreed. But I was just making a point that when is this ever not true? I'm trying to start an argument.

Besides, the SC is based on the GS platform which is based largely on the Supra (We all share brakes and suspension) and seeing that the IS is also based on the GS platform, then your statement makes no sence. The SC is on the IS platform. But regardless, Toyota is the GM of Japan and if the car isn't making money or serving some purpose in racing, then its cut. Period. So I'm guessing here but by all the new SC's I see rolling around, I think the SC is doing just fine for such a small niche market..

I'm sorry that it looks like I'm taking it out on you. I'm not. I'm just kind of tired of seeing all the threads about why they need to replace the SC and why they think its going to happen in 08/09 or when ever. The bottom line is know one knows forsure, probably not even Toyota as the model could be shot down by the management.

This thread needs to be a sticky, the topic is getting old..

P.s. Hey Dan.. Whats up? I still haven't heard anything more about our little JDM project.. I'll keep you informed..

Last edited by hipendicul; 11-05-06 at 12:05 AM.
Old 11-05-06 | 12:38 AM
Shawn808
Driver

Hi hipendicul
I understand now you didnt want to start an argument but you are implying above what I suggested was that Lexus would or should sell more SCs then IS's, which totally isnt true. I am not trying to make an argument as to WHY the SC is made, but just suggesting what MIGHT happen to it. I know why the SC was made and I know its a limited low production car. So when you wrote "Thats like saying I wonder why the Supra didn't outsell the Corolla? Or why would Nissan come out with a new Z when it doesn't sell as good as the Altima?" That made no sense to me, I would never say that because I am a car guy, and it looked to me like you were picking apart my posting when I was just trying to help.

Ok lets not make this into an argument.

Quick Reply: 08 Sc430