SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

20" wheels on an sc430

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-06, 08:14 PM
betection
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 20" wheels on an sc430

hey guys, good to see all of you here, about 5 months ago, I bought a pearl white 2002 sc430 and have driven it everyday since...i love it.

i was thinking of putting some 20" wheels (deep dish) on it but everywhere i seem to go to look at some wheels, the salesperson reccommends i go 19" not 20", so i thought i would ask you guys the xperts.

Will a 20" wheel, screw up the ride and comfort? What do you guys suggest?

thanks
sara
Old 11-07-06, 12:42 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

with 20s, if you stay with the same profile tires as 19s, they are the same, and the ride will be the same, no difference at all. if you get even lower profile tires then that's rubber band, too scary for me

with 20s you might have some rubbing issues at the top of the wheel well.

personally i have 20s and i love the way it looks
Old 11-07-06, 01:40 PM
Stefwilli
Wheel Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by betection
hey guys, good to see all of you here, about 5 months ago, I bought a pearl white 2002 sc430 and have driven it everyday since...i love it.

i was thinking of putting some 20" wheels (deep dish) on it but everywhere i seem to go to look at some wheels, the salesperson reccommends i go 19" not 20", so i thought i would ask you guys the xperts.

Will a 20" wheel, screw up the ride and comfort? What do you guys suggest?

thanks
sara
Hello Sara, most wheel vendors suggest those wheel sizes because of a lack of understanding about your lexus vehicle. This is the reason why you may see your same vehicle with aftermarket wheels and it looks like training wheels. The SC is one of the only lexus models that run different fitment specs than the other models.

The funny thing is I have some wheel style ideas rolling around in my head for the past week on your car. Shoot me an email stefan@d2autosport.com with styles, finish, and budget you had in mind. I'm sure I can help out, and the ride qaulity will be the same as 19s
Old 11-07-06, 01:51 PM
GSXOTIC
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i think 20" is just fine. but the question is, are you going to lower it??? if not the car will look like a 4x4 and in that case i would rather stay with stock look.
Old 11-07-06, 04:54 PM
betection
Rookie

hey rominl those are crazy picts, very very nice good job, so since you got 20's let me know what size wheel, rubber and etc you used, did you lower your car?

did you have any issues?
thanks
Old 11-07-06, 06:00 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ighlight=wheel
Old 11-08-06, 01:16 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hey rominl those are crazy picts, very very nice good job, so since you got 20's let me know what size wheel, rubber and etc you used, did you lower your car?

did you have any issues?
thanks
you mean pics in my gallery??

i have 20x9 and 20x10.5 with 255/35 and 285/30. of course lowered on tein cs. i agree with mark, bottom line is i will never put aftermarket wheels on my car unless the car is lowered, otherwise it just looks silly imho, 19s or 20s.

i have been driving on them for over a yr, not a single problem
Old 11-08-06, 04:27 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Sara,

First of all, great color choice (I have white as well).

Secondly, 20's won't screw up the ride & comfort. Surprisingly, 20" non-runflat tires are smoother then oem 18" run-flat tires. I can't stress that enough. The major issue to be concern with are the offsets front/rear.

Like Mark said, if you get 20's then consider lowering it as well. I suggest Tein CS coilovers (new version). They're very comfy & it's only on the 12th softest setting as per recommended by Tein (16 settings total & #16 being the softest).

We're here to help out as best as we can so feel free to ask. Good luck & post back what wheels you get.

Mark & Henry, just curious...how many finger(s) can you stick in each front & rear fenderwell? I have mine set at a little over a finger in the front & a tight one-finger in the rear.

Last edited by Yeah!; 11-08-06 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-10-06, 01:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

front, 1 finger (at most, maybe a bit less), rear zero (tire barely tucks)

once we move, i am going to lower the front a bit more (need fender mods on that)

and btw, for the record, even with 19s, you should lower the car to make it look nice
Old 11-10-06, 03:44 PM
betection
Rookie

hey Yeah!
do you have pict of your lex?
Old 11-10-06, 03:48 PM
betection
Rookie

thanks rominl

so if put on 20x9 with 255/35, will the ride be similar to my stock 18" wheels?
i dont want to comprimise the ride, and yes sir I will be lowering it!
Old 11-10-06, 10:14 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

thanks rominl

so if put on 20x9 with 255/35, will the ride be similar to my stock 18" wheels?
i dont want to comprimise the ride, and yes sir I will be lowering it!
It is not possible to go to a 20" wheel/tire, lower the car and have the same ride. It will be firmer but if you use the right suspension components then the ride will still be comfortable.
Old 11-11-06, 12:07 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
front, 1 finger (at most, maybe a bit less), rear zero (tire barely tucks)

once we move, i am going to lower the front a bit more (need fender mods on that)

and btw, for the record, even with 19s, you should lower the car to make it look nice
Thx for the info Henry. Aren't you worried about camber in the rear w/zero fingergap? LOL, yeah if you have 19's you should lower it as well.

hey Yeah!
do you have pict of your lex?
I finally took pics yesterday afternoon. I'll post a new thread later today or tomorrow as well as some comments about iForged.

Originally Posted by D2-AUTOSPORT
It is not possible to go to a 20" wheel/tire, lower the car and have the same ride. It will be firmer but if you use the right suspension components then the ride will still be comfortable.
Well that depends...Have you ever drove an sc430 w/run-flat tires? Good gosh lemme tell you something, the oem 18" run-flat tires are so harsh to the point that if I didn't get 20's, I mos def would have replaced them w/non-runflat tires on the oem wheels. IMHO, they're that bad but that's just me & yes I have had bigger then stock wheels w/coilovers on different cars in the past. Every time I go over a bump or crack, etc. in the road w/those run-flat tires, I could feel my bones jolt & jarring. As stated earlier, I have Tein CS coilovers set on setting #12 as per recommended by Tein (16 being the softest) & the ride's 95% factory shocks/springs smooth with barely having a firmer ride. I'm sure if I leave it at setting #16 then it would be close (if not exactly) factory smooth/ride. Basically, what I'm saying is that it's 95% factory smooth/ride w/20" non-runflat tires minus the jarring aches/pain of the 18" oem-runflat tires. I'm sure other members can attest to this as well.

Now if you're talking about comparing oem 18" wheels rolling on non-runflat tires then yeah I'm sure those would be a smoother ride (less harsh) then 20" non-runflat tires.

So when's your sc430 coming?!?

Last edited by Yeah!; 11-11-06 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-11-06, 01:51 PM
D2-AUTOSPORT
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Well that depends...Have you ever drove an sc430 w/run-flat tires?

You know what you 100% right I was comparing conventional tires and 20" wheels, however runflats ride worse than no tire! lol
Old 11-11-06, 07:56 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!

I finally took pics yesterday afternoon. I'll post a new thread later today or tomorrow as well as some comments about iForged.
so we finally get to see your ride, huh?
what is the hold-up? ha

Quick Reply: 20" wheels on an sc430