SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Germancaraddict--why german cars suck

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-01, 03:54 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Germancaraddict--why german cars suck

I read through the thread citing the technological advances of the SL sportscar convertible w/the SC430 converitble.

TOTALL BS.

A 65K car compared w/a 95K car???

W/the difference in price, I could customize the SC430 that it would BLOW AWAY the SL in all the aspects you cite as "inferior"

IN addition..EVEN WITH the modifications..the SC430's maintenance needs would NEVER approach the neediness of the
high main german car.

I've owned the Mercedes Sclass....for 4 years. It's the most expensive, totally overblown car that I've ever seen. Gas guzzler, uncomfortable seats...totally unintuitive interface and technology.

I've test driven the CL many many times over...a WASTE of money too. I've test driven the M5 many times over. Same deal.
I've own the Bimmer 3 series also for about 5 years. EVERYTHING in the car went bad after (and conveniently..like they almost planned it this way)AFTER the 4 yr 75K warranty...so any breakdowns came out of MY pocket.

I owned a bimmer 8 series for 5 days. I LOVE that cars shape but..I couldn't justify keeping it. I knew the head bmw mechanic at the time for BMW of San Francisco. I told him, I had bought and 8 series bimmer and he was like "WHY?...do you like giving us 500 dollars of your paycheck everymonth?".

This is the bimmer HEAD mechanic telling me this.

THe higher end cars I mentioned look great..don't get me wrong, but totally cheap materials for almost 100K...and u KEEP paying for maintenance after that.

I've heard about the SL. I really like the interior. The exterior is sportier than ANY Mercedes before it..but not daring either(daring is coming with the VISION SLR).
I too have read the article calling this car the "most technologically advanced sports car in the world".
You KNOW...w/a german car w/that much technology...how come german engineers don't include LONGEVITY, DURABILITY in their specs? Or MAYBE they do this on purpose ALA Microsoft..so you have to keep PAYING UP for upkeep or to stay current?

The SC430 is the better value. No question. IF it's boring in the eyes of germancaraddict..to each his own. I'm sure it will be REALLY exciting to drive your SL500 to the mercedes shop 3-5 times a month and paying that much more over your 85K sticker.

ALso the most "technologically advanced" car..is also going to have the most ADVANCED priced upkeep of any car before it.
Guaranteed.

I'd take an SC430 w/supercharger, better rims, amp added to the levinson w/subwoofer, L-tuned suspenion and some other extras..ANYDAY of that overblown, overpriced YET pretty to look at and LEASE if you have your own business, SL.

The SC430 I speak of would BLOW AWAY that CL..all over the place. and STILL cost less.

German cars suck. I've own several....and they are only good to lease in MY OPINION(unless u got a mechanic friend u can bug every week).

The SC430 has won me over. I even like it over my SC400.
Good purchase u guys.

And GermanCarAddict.....go back to the Benz forum..and give up on trying to start a fire here.

Anthracite SC
Old 10-22-01, 07:14 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

Default without a doubt

You posted it twice so I guess I will respond to both of them.

I totally agree with you. The new SL may be a little better in some ways than the SC430. But are those improvements worth the extra $30k you'd spend and the amazing quality and craftsmanship that comes with a Lexus?
Old 10-22-01, 07:35 PM
Anthracite SC
Lexus Test Driver

Default Yes..totally true

The german cars are so short term. They look, perform and drive very well..but they aren't meant to keep around. That SL is no different. It's a LEASE car. It will be good to you as long as you keep payin for it to operate that good. It doesn't reward u, u have to keep rewarding IT.

The Lexus cars keep rewaording you.

If I had to do it all over again, I would've gotten the SC430 and LS430 instead of the SClass.

Thanks for the post
Old 10-22-01, 08:06 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

You are definitely right when you said the SL was a lease car. Just think about owning it in 6 or 7 years when all that electronic ***** like electrohydraulic braking doesn't work anymore. That will definitely clean out the wallet.

I guess you can get both the SC and LS for the price of an S600 or an SC and half an LS for the price of a S500. That is another great thing about Lexus-- value. $60 g's definitely isn't cheap for a new car but if you look at it in context with competing cars it is a steal. Your $60k car is on par, if not better than, similar cars that cost almost $100k.
Old 10-22-01, 08:12 PM
rhart00
Pole Position

The new BMW 745i is going to be even more advanced than the SL Benz but the same thing applies to the Beemer. That car is going to be amazing but I would rather still rather have the LS430 and save about $30 g's and that my car isn't going to fall apart as soon as the warranty runs out.