SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

I-Tune Burned CD with ML system

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-06, 05:07 AM
Samanator
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I-Tune Burned CD with ML system

I have just had the car for 2 months now and Saturday was the first big drive since purchasing to go to the Taste of Lexus in Miami. I burned a few new CDs from I-tunes in Audio format and noticed they break up during play back and after time will not play at all. Put the same set in my wifes IS250 for the trip to Homestead for the Nascar race yesterday and they played perfect. Is my system screwed up or is this common? I searched and did not see this topic yet on the forum.

As a note I have not tried a commercial CD to see if it works. I'll try it tonight.

Last edited by Samanator; 11-20-06 at 06:51 AM.
Old 11-20-06, 01:32 PM
jtc
Driver School Candidate

I burn CDs from I-Tunes and they seem to work fine. I just use the default settings in I-Tunes.
Old 11-20-06, 09:03 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Our stereos are the old kind buddy. The CD has to be of the regular protocol; don't remember the technical name. Manual says forget about CD-Rs, CD-R/Ws, MP3, and any such thing. The only way to hear downloaded music is paying for each song, so it's stored in the 'regular' protocol. The new stereos, like the ones on new ISs, etc., play all the new formats.
My car plays CD-Rs, but only when copied from other CDs, or downloaded with the right protocol.... and they must be closed.
I'm not too much into music, but those tiny things (iPods) with room for 500+ songs is the way to go. My oldest daughter shouldn't be too far from one of those; will let her teach me the nuances of such new technology.
Old 11-22-06, 07:21 AM
Samanator
Rookie

Prior to moving to Export Law this year, I owned manufacturing for a large software company. So anything I do is to the industry standard including never using CD-R media over 650Mb (700Mb and above media is out of spec by the industy standard). The standard you are referencing is called Red Book. Since I have access to a $100K CD/DVD replication system I have some pretty high quality replications which are verified agiainst all red book standards.

I've tried an Ipod in the car with a RF adapter and returned the adaptor to the store after one 3 hour road trip. Unless the Ipod is controled by the head unit it is a clunky and dangerous (worst than trying to dialing a cell phone while driving) to operate.

In general any player built after 1999 should support CDR burned audio. Now if they were recorded as MP3 or MP4 as opposed to Audio then maybe they will not work. My guess is that the laser is weak or out of focus just slightly in the player (I was also an industry consultant for COMPAQ computer for CD and DVD-Rom drive industry through 2000 so I do know a little about these drives) Given that others have had no problems I think it is time for a service call. Thank you for the information.
Old 11-29-06, 02:19 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

my sc430 has been playing ONLY cdr since day one, never a single problem. i think it's probably isolated incident. as long as the cd is audio format it should be fine. in some cases the player is more sensitive to the cdr used. sometimes the color of the cdrs makes a difference too