SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

"GUESS WHAT?"

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-01, 11:19 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Thumbs up "GUESS WHAT?"

The Headline Banner screamed across my E-Mail Box with the astonishing following Message: "GUESS WHAT...Your New 2002 SC 430 Black Oynx / Saddle Leather w/ Burled Walnut Has been Preferenced, With An Anticipated Delivery Date Within The Next 2 - 3 Weeks!"

WOW! Thinking that the Long Line of Anticipation still had me waiting until the Fall of 2003, I was thrilled to learn that my Lexus Dream Car (sorry German Car Addict), was almost at hand.

Quickly,I rang up Jimmy the Parts Manager at Tom Woods Lexus here in Indy, and confirmed that he had already ordered the 5 Dunlop Winter Sport II Dedicated Winter Tires mounted on Lexus OEM Wheels, as well as the Car Cover and Front End Bra. As soon as the New Car would arrive, they would de-badge the "LEXUS" and "SC 430" Rear Deck Emblems, and "Gold Plate" the "Circle-L" Emblems on the Front Hood and Rear Deck Lid, as well as all 5 Wheel Cover Centers (using the OEM Center Covers for the Winter Wheels and their Spare, as well as the four Warm Weather Run Flats).

Having the Service Department install the Three-Trumpet Horns in the front end of the Engine Compartment, positioned over the front top edge of the Radiator Frame, and surrounding the entire front side of the Cooling Fins with a Bug-Screen Fabric Material, will complete the Pre-Delivery Process.

In the meantime, it's time to Pre-Order the Zaino Products, and the accompaning Leather Cleaners / Conditioners / Car Wash Products, Matte Black Rear License Frame, the Personalized License Plate that reads: "PRFCTN", and the '92 Bottle of Dom.

Whew! So many things to do.........so little time left to do them.

You can bet that this Turkey will have a Great Thanksgiving Holiday. In spite of the Winter-Like Weather here in Indy near the end of November, 25 seconds after the Engine fires up, the top will be down and the RPM's ready to Rumble!

If You Can Read My Read My Rear License Plate, You Must Have Bought A Audi TT, SL 500, M3 ("Could happen!"), or some Domestic Sled.

"LEXUS RULES!"

SOLO-1

Last edited by WJSOLOMON; 10-26-01 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-27-01, 06:06 AM
therocker
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! You seem well prepared. As much as I love my Sc430, I so miss the 1st 2 weeks of owning the car. It's like being a kid with a new toy! However, I do not miss the weeks prior to getting the car. The anticipation can be sheer torture!
Old 10-27-01, 09:44 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Smile "TWO WEEK HONEYMOON!"

Originally posted by therocker
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! You seem well prepared. As much as I love my Sc430, I so miss the 1st 2 weeks of owning the car. It's like being a kid with a new toy! However, I do not miss the weeks prior to getting the car. The anticipation can be sheer torture!
T. R. - Thanks for your kind words. You're exactly right............the first couple of nights, I may want to sleep in the garage, just o be able to wake up through the night and dreamily gaze over at this "Pearl" of the Lexus Car Line. The First two weeks will be the Second Best Honey Moon that I've ever had (hey - what would you do, my wife scans this stuff!)!

I want to get a few miles on it to reflect on the Ride Quality of these 18" Run Flats, compared to the "Teddy Roosevelt Ride" of my 2001 BMW 330 Ci Hardtop Convertible with the upgraded Sport Suspension, 17" Alloys, and Sport Michelon Low-Profile Performance Tires. Talk about a Stiff ride! These can't be nearly as rough over RR tracks, Paving Strips, and Minor (County) Road irregularities.

For the two Day trip from Indy down to the Sarasota area ,I'll switch to the dedicated set of OEM 18 Wheels and Dunlop Winter-SPort II Tires, currently the only one recommeded / approved by Lexus, although they hope to have a Run Flat Winter Tire available by early next Spring, to eliminate the big spare Winter Tire / Wheel that pretty much wipes out the available trunk space.

I'd seriously considered the softer, grippier Pirellis, but some drivers complained that they "Slid" around on the rims under hard turns, braking and acceleration. The Dunlops are apparenly approved by Lexus for High Speed Performance in Winter Driving (155 mph?), with more Inter-State High Way Roads in mind. What you trade off as a compromise on Snow, Slush, and Black Ice Driving that the stickier Pirrellis give you, you can cruise all day on cold dry Road Surfaces with the Dunlops, at all Legal Inter-State Highway Speeds, and then some.

Time will tell. "Hold All of my calls the first Two weeks of Thanksgiving Day Bliss!"

(Talk about the "Twelve Days Of Christmas" - this is it, and then some!)

Old 10-27-01, 11:28 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

WJS ...

Tell me more about those "Three-Trumpet Horns".
Old 10-27-01, 09:29 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Lightbulb "THREE-TRUMPET HORNS"

Ed - Starting with my '92 Miata, '95 BMW 325, and '01 BMW 330, I've installed these WOLO Three-Trumpet Horns on all of them, and always found them more fun to drive, and a lot easier to sell for more money!

I bought the first set through J. C. Whitney, but like the WOLO MANUFACTURING CORP. direct Web Site at:

http://www.wolomfg.com

The Web Site features a lot of diffferent Air Horns for you to consider, and let you actually hear a sample of the sounds that each model makes. The model that I've been using is #410, and features a choice of Two tones - an alternating Three trumpet "Wild Turkey", or a steady Three Trumpets for passing. The install easy and come with everything you need. Extra Loud, Heavy Duty Compressor, and attractive Red Plastic Trumpets for long life and no maintenance. I've even installed them on my new Yamaha LX 2000 Jet Boat in a Salt Water marine environment.

Check it out, and see what you think.

SOLO-1
Old 10-27-01, 09:54 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WJS,

Congrats buddy on getting the good news on your SC.. I've also considered debadging the Lexus and SC430 on the rear for the cleaner look it would give.. Like TR said the first 2 weeks will be so fun learning all the in's and out's of the car.. It took me a few days to figure out the stereo controls on the steering wheel but then again I could of made life easier by reading the manual.. LOL..

On the run flat issue I find it not so bad and am not sure why so many ppl complain.. I guess it all depends on what vehicles you had before but honestly I have no issues with the ride.. Its a sports car and if I wanted a floaty ride I would of bought a Caddy..

Anyways congrats on the good news and safe driving when you get her!!

Ken
Old 10-28-01, 07:10 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

WJS ...
Thanks for the information.

Ken ...
Be careful of that Set switch on the steering wheel. The first time I used it I was trying to decrease the volume and tapped the Set switch by mistake. It had been preset by someone to maximum volume which was kinda embarrassing as I had the top down when it happened.
Old 10-28-01, 09:53 AM
RodF
Pole Position

I set the "Set " button at zero volume. That way in a pinch (cell phone call, etc.) you can "turn off" the radio without opening the radio cover.
Old 10-28-01, 02:14 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Thanks Rod for the idea.. I just went out and set mine to Zero volume too..

Been applying Zaino all day and I am bushed.. Good thing this is only time consuming for the initial applications but after being a Meguiar's devote for years I have to admit Zaino is 10 times better.. A big 2 thumbs for Zaino!!
Old 10-28-01, 06:52 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Question "THE ZAINO EXPERIENCE"

Ken - I'm just in the process of placing an Order for Zaino, and would like to bother you and the other Zaino users with a few prelminary questions about this Product. With the BMW's I used all of the ZYMOL Products, and found that it worked very well with the German paints and finishes. But I've come to the easy conclusion after reading everyone's Posts these past 6 months, that for this car's Paint features, "ZAINO IS THE WAY TO GO!"

QUESTION #1: Am I correct in assuming that the SC has a "Clear Coat" Paint Finish, as opposed to a "Regular" Paint Finish, so I just need to Order Z-2, and not Z-3?

QUESTION #2: Can I use the Z-1, Z-2 Product for the Engine area as well, or would you think that the Z-14 "Plastic-Magic Cleaaner & Polish" would be just as good, and perhaps a little more practical, than the Labor-Intensive Car Finish Products? I guess that a fellow could always finish off the Z-14 with some Z-6 "Ulta Clean Gloss Enhancer" Spray. Any ideas?

QUESTION #3: As an unrelated Question to the Zaino Car Care Finish Products, I was wandering about Computor Chips to further enhance the car's performance. With BMW, DINAN provided a complete line of available After Market Performance Package enhancers that would not cause any Warranty problems for the car. Starting with Engine and Transmission Chips, they also included separate Options for Cold Air Intakes and Filters, Air Flowmeters, Throttle Bodies, Free-Flow Exhaust, as well as Suspension, Wheels & Tires for most all of the different BMW Models and ages. Is there such a Lexus Approved source of supply for further enhancing the Performance of the SC 430 Models, that anyone has experienced success with?

I sure would appreciate your interest, feedback, personal experience on these "New Car Owner" Questions and Concerns, so I can place the Order for the Zaino Products, for now.

Many Thanks in Advance.

SOLO-1

Old 10-28-01, 07:17 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

WJS,

Not too sure on the Black SC if it is clear coated or not but going by what I have read on Black GS's I don't think it has a clear coat finish.. Genearch bought Zaino for his new baby so I am sure he would be the best person to ask..

Z1 or Z2 would be good for the exposed metal in the engine compartment not that I would do this (Too much work for me) but it should work well.. Engine dressing would be more pratical for the hoses and such.. When I competed in IASCA I always dressed my engine before any competition..

As for "Lexus Approved" aftermarket as far as I know the only one is L-Tuned not that they are making any products for our SC as of yet but maybe in a year you might see suspension components from what my Lexus dealer tells me.. The next best source I guess would be L-Sportline.. I've emailed Dazz 2 weeks ago inquiring on the L-Sportline suspension they are making for the SC but I have yet to get a reply.. Also TEIN should make one too..

On the Intake front Weapon R is in the process of finalizing the SC430 intake so you should see pics of that on their website shortly.. Not sure if SRT will be making one for the SC or not..

If I hear anything on aftermarket products i'll be sure to post.. Hopefully in the next year we will see some aftermarket products from various sources.. I'd love to see a catback exhaust so I can get the SC to sound like the M Edition Z3 which I almost bought..
Old 10-28-01, 07:28 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by 2SAVVY
WJS,

Not too sure on the Black SC if it is clear coated or not but going by what I have read on Black GS's I don't think it has a clear coat finish.. Genearch bought Zaino for his new baby so I am sure he would be the best person to ask..

Z1 or Z2 would be good for the exposed metal in the engine compartment not that I would do this (Too much work for me) but it should work well.. Engine dressing would be more pratical for the hoses and such.. When I competed in IASCA I always dressed my engine before any competition..

As for "Lexus Approved" aftermarket as far as I know the only one is L-Tuned not that they are making any products for our SC as of yet but maybe in a year you might see suspension components from what my Lexus dealer tells me.. The next best source I guess would be L-Sportline.. I've emailed Dazz 2 weeks ago inquiring on the L-Sportline suspension they are making for the SC but I have yet to get a reply.. Also TEIN should make one too..

On the Intake front Weapon R is in the process of finalizing the SC430 intake so you should see pics of that on their website shortly.. Not sure if SRT will be making one for the SC or not..

If I hear anything on aftermarket products i'll be sure to post.. Hopefully in the next year we will see some aftermarket products from various sources.. I'd love to see a catback exhaust so I can get the SC to sound like the M Edition Z3 which I almost bought..
2SAVY - Thanks for the info. I'll give Genarch a shot, and see what he can tell me about the Clear Coat concerns. Sounds like a lot of us are ready to enhance our SC Models with Aftermarket Performance Options, as soon as they are available. Obviously for me, the M3 is the target opposition to compete with, in sound and performance. Oh yeah, I almost forgot to mention:

"LEXUS RULES!"

SOLO-1

Old 10-29-01, 03:36 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

One other note regarding the audio controls on the steering wheel. Remember that holding down the Mode switch for a second or so will turn the audio system off. This way, if you were listening to tape or CD, you can resume where you left off.

Using the Set switch to zero volume will allow the audio system to continue causing you to miss perhaps an entire aria. Those divas do NOT like to be ignored.
Old 10-29-01, 06:39 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Thanks 1NICESC430 - I didn't know about that mode switch feature. I'll try it out!