SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Wood maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-06, 02:49 PM
JohnD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wood maintenance

I'm a new member to this site and want to thank all for the quality information that has been posted. Although I'm a new member, I have been visiting the site for awhile and this info has helped me make my final decision on purchasing a SC 430. Picked up my 2007 SC last Saturday and so far am thrilled with this car.
I have a question I hope you members can help me out with. What is the best method you have found to both clean and protect the beautiful wood accents in this car? Thanks in advance for your response.

JohnD
Old 12-06-06, 03:48 PM
SC430GA
Rookie

Congratulations on your new ride and welcome to the club!
The easiest way I found to clean the wood from the dust or overspray after leather cleaning is just spraying some Windex on the napkin and go over, works just fine.
Old 12-06-06, 03:59 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Congrats on your decision in selecting such a unique automotive experience.

I avoid all chemicals on the wood unless needed. Very diluted detergent in case it is really bad. Mostly it gets dusted off followed by a nice wipe with a very soft cloth.

Keep in mind that it is real wood with Lacquer so a nice wood furniture product is nice to have around. But….be careful as you do not want a layer of anything on the lacquer and have it soak in the sun with the top down as it may create a permanent haze and ruin the finish of the wood. I have seen some luxury cars out there with very apparent haze covering the wood. Not pretty and pricey to replace.
Old 12-06-06, 05:16 PM
tfischer

Received 211 Likes on 158 Posts

Don't get Windex anywhere near the car, especially on the inside.

As for the wood, the detailers over at Autopia seem to all agree, much to my surprise, that the best treatment for interior wood such as is in our cars, is -- are you ready -- Pledge. These are the pros that buy the best microfiber towels and very expensive leather conditioners, etc, and they have found nothing better for the wood than Pledge. I bought a can for myself, and it (1) causes no harm (2) seems to shine the wood up nicely (3) is probably protecting it, as far as I can tell and (4) sure goes a long way when that's all you use it for.
Old 12-06-06, 06:38 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Yup, I use Pledge all the time
Old 12-06-06, 07:43 PM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Would that be a specific title under pledge? (ie wood cleaner)
Old 12-06-06, 07:46 PM
tfischer

I use just regular Lemon Pledge, as seen on TV.
Old 12-06-06, 08:16 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

Me too I use Pledge. Smells good also.
Old 12-06-06, 11:45 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

i just use damped cloth, that's all it takes. if you maintain your car well enough you shouldn't need anything more

and imho, wood is probably the last thing i'd worry about. the leather and the vinyl are a lot more pain
Old 12-08-06, 12:22 AM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by JohnD
I'm a new member to this site and want to thank all for the quality information that has been posted. Although I'm a new member, I have been visiting the site for awhile and this info has helped me make my final decision on purchasing a SC 430. Picked up my 2007 SC last Saturday and so far am thrilled with this car.
I have a question I hope you members can help me out with. What is the best method you have found to both clean and protect the beautiful wood accents in this car? Thanks in advance for your response.

JohnD
Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as us if not more.

Originally Posted by rominl
i just use damped cloth, that's all it takes. if you maintain your car well enough you shouldn't need anything more

and imho, wood is probably the last thing i'd worry about. the leather and the vinyl are a lot more pain
What part of the car is vinyl? Just the area around the audio & temp controls right? Never really thought about that til now.
Old 12-08-06, 01:09 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Yeah!
Congrats on your new purchase. I'm sure you will enjoy it as much as us if not more.

What part of the car is vinyl? Just the area around the audio & temp controls right? Never really thought about that til now.
oh sorry if i confused people. all those are leather actually, basically everywhere you see "leather" they are leather i believe.

when i said vinyl i meant the dash area, those "plastic" type stuff. i don't know what exactly they are called
Old 12-08-06, 05:42 AM
tfischer

A damp cloth will not protect the dash from the harsh effects caused by UV and other rays of the sun, especially in a convertible. The best thing for the dash and the black vinyl pieces on the doors and behind the rear seat is Aerospace 303.

Makes it look good and protects it from deterioration. Highly recommended.
Old 12-08-06, 02:41 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rominl
oh sorry if i confused people. all those are leather actually, basically everywhere you see "leather" they are leather i believe.

when i said vinyl i meant the dash area, those "plastic" type stuff. i don't know what exactly they are called
OIC, thx for the clarification.
Old 12-14-06, 07:18 PM
mmgpsych
Driver School Candidate

If you really, really, really, really want your wood accents to look amazing (and smell amazing as well) I recommend Formby's Almond Lustre. There's nothing quite as good, and the scent will have you drooling.
Old 12-14-06, 07:20 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mmgpsych
If you really, really, really, really want your wood accents to look amazing (and smell amazing as well) I recommend Formby's Almond Lustre. There's nothing quite as good, and the scent will have you drooling.
Hmm, have not heard of that, I just may have to check it out.
Thanks for the tip

Quick Reply: Wood maintenance