SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 vs. 2003 SC430

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-01, 03:25 PM
deanz
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 vs. 2003 SC430

Does anyone have an opinion about whether to wait for the first 2003 models vs. buying a 2002 model right now?

I'm wondering about this because of the apparent harsh ride of the run-flat tires as well as some roof rattling that has plagued other members in this forum. I would hope that these problems could be worked out by Lexus in the 2003 models (possibly better tire vendor and improved production of roof). And they may have different/better options on the 2003 (highly speculative). Yet... I'm unsure if it's worth the wait.

My dealer just called me and said that my wait is over if I want a Silver w/ Ecru (had my mind set on a Silver w/ Saddle - another issue).

This is my first post, so I'm a "newbie," but I've been monitoring this forum and everyone seems very helpful. I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on my situation

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Dean
Old 10-29-01, 05:20 PM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Default Buy it now

The car is amazing. Buy it now. They are making about 12000 for U.S. I believe...the number of true problems is likely very very small.

I had a few rattles - some have already gone away by themselves. Unlikely that the ride with runflats will get better - nature of the beast.

And finally, no real reason that Lexus will do any serious re-engineering - since there really is no evidence that there is a widespread problem.

I'd go for it. It is truly a phenomenal vehicle.

Plus they'll probably raise the price.
Old 10-30-01, 05:28 AM
therocker
Rookie

Sure the run flats suck. If it really ends up bothering you, change the tires. I doubt Lexus will change the way the run flats ride next year, anyway. If you have the oppurtunity , without question, get it now! I don't have any rattles. As for your interior color, I too originaly wanted saddle to go with my silver exterior, but now I think my ecru interior is way nicer, imo.

Last edited by therocker; 10-30-01 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-30-01, 09:01 AM
BlackSC430'nMA
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs up Get it !!

I just got mine last week, even the commute to work hasn't bothered me since I got it. The car is really sweet.

Run flats usually have a harsh reaction over older RR tracks, otherwise not that bad.

I probally won't use it much during the New England winters but I couldn't resist the temptation when the dealer called to say one was available.

No Regrets !!!
Old 10-30-01, 09:08 AM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

My opinion is to definately WAIT for the 2003.
The roof problem and others are more prevalent than you think- remember, this forum is only a minute sampling of the sc owners out there- also- most of the posts are from new owners still infatuated with the experience. Been there, done that.

unfortunately, this is a 1st year production and Lexus will be making changes to remedy inherent problems.
Take it from one of the many who have had more than their fair share of aggrivation- if you can, wait.
Old 10-30-01, 10:17 AM
silversc430
Driver School Candidate

Thumbs down

Gene, you have had the car - what, 3 weeks now. That hardly makes you a veteran SC owner. I would reccomend that you WAIT!!!
Well good luck.
Old 10-30-01, 04:29 PM
therocker
Rookie

I've owned this car for 3 and a half months and have driven 4,000 miles and I see no reason to wait. This car is not so easy to get, so get it while you can at this lower price. It is also kinda cool owning this car right now. Right now the car is THE hot car, next year it won't be as hot, not that you should get the car because others like to look at it. I can't imagine Lexus revamping the car because a few people complain. I do feel for the people experiencing problems with their cars, however. I say get it now and enjoy it. You will absolutely love it, despite the runflats.
Old 10-30-01, 05:22 PM
RodF
Pole Position

Originally posted by therocker
I've owned this car for 3 and a half months and have driven 4,000 miles and I see no reason to wait. This car is not so easy to get, so get it while you can at this lower price. It is also kinda cool owning this car right now. Right now the car is THE hot car, next year it won't be as hot, not that you should get the car because others like to look at it. I can't imagine Lexus revamping the car because a few people complain. I do feel for the people experiencing problems with their cars, however. I say get it now and enjoy it. You will absolutely love it, despite the runflats.
I've owned this car for 6 months now. If I had to do it all over again as of right now, I would still get the 2002 model, rather than wait for the 2003. They did it right with this car.
Old 10-30-01, 06:00 PM
sc4304me
Driver School Candidate

First I say get the car.

Second I will say that I can not wait to get rid of the run
flats, hoping that they will make the car a bit less noisy.

I have 12k miles, got mine back in March when they
first came out. This car has more rattles and squeeks
than my 98 Corvette.

I have been to the dealer several times for the following:

Dash Rattle (when below 57 degrees, they can not reproduce)

Whistle when you go over 80 from the windows

Misc rattles from the dash

When the bass is heavy the leather and the wood cause
a vibration

Lexus has not fixed the above, instead they tried to buy
me off with fixing a scratch in the wood dash (caused by
a car wash).

I am curious if others have had the same type of problems.

Yes, I am not happy with the problems that I have had with
the car, but it is a first year car and this is to be expected. I
would have expected more from Lexus.

So the bottom line is that if you like the car then get it. If I
had to do it all over again I would. The car is AWESOME!!!
Old 10-31-01, 04:17 AM
therocker
Rookie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sc4304me
[B]When the bass is heavy the leather and the wood cause
a vibration

That is something that I have never heard mentioned before, but which I too have experienced. The inside side of my door vibrates when music is played, making the wood feel thin and cheap even though it is not.
Old 10-31-01, 01:24 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

sc4304me

I have only 1500 miles on my 430 and have not experienced whistles (except from people looking at the car ) or rattles. However, where wood meets metal meets plastic meets whatever, there has to be some noises seeing as they all expand and contract at different temperatures. I occasionally hear these faint rubbing or squeaking sounds, but they tend to go away when everything gets warmed up. I have not experienced a "there's-something-loose-somewhere" rattle.

The more I drive the car, the more I love it. It's truly a delight, especially for a guy such as myself who has never had such a luxurious car with such power before. I will admit that it has taken some getting used to, though. I was treating it like a first-time father handling his newborn, but now I'm finally starting to yank the thing around a bit and giving it some hell.

Sad to say, it'll soon be tucked away for the winter, not to be driven again until the spring of 2002. It's gonna be a long long winter.
Old 10-31-01, 07:29 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

6 weeks into ownership and I have noticed on cool days like today (Low 50's) the interior has a few squeeks just until the climate control warms up.. Minor problem to say the least and the same thing occurs in the GS from time to time too..

No roof rattles at all and i've been driving with the roof up for the past 2 weeks.. My guess is the first set of cars off the line would have more issues than the most recent ones so if you have the opportunity to get the SC in the near future then I truly recommend it besides like most have pointed out the MSRP is almost guaranteed to increase for 2003..

For you Canadian guys/gals who are looking at the SC if you wait till 2003 you will be able to get the Navigation control like how our friends in the US have on their cars..

To the guys who have had rattle problems with their SC when did it first start on your car.. Was it immediately or after months of ownership..