SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What Do You Think of the SC430's Styling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-06, 09:02 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
Having previously owned two SC430s and now a BMW 645Ci Convertible I have to disagree with you on that call. The interior of the SC430 is quite attractive. However, the 6-Series' seats - front and rear, seating comfort, interior design, and the feel of the steering wheel all trump those of the SC430. [And did I mention that the 6-Series' steering wheel is heated? GREAT for driving with the top down on chilly days!.]
I would have to disagree with you that that. Just because you may like the seating position, others may not. I have driven a 6 series twice. The seating position is uncomfortable at best and the interior layout is typical stark boring Mitsubishi BMW-my biggest complaint on current BMWs. I would say the interior belongs in a 35k car-certainly not 65k+. About the ugliest out there right now. What is with that GM steering wheel design and the 2nd cowl covering the nav screen needs to be cut off. Now the seating could just be my body frame-210lbs, 6' tall, but I find I fit nicely in the SC vs the 6 series. My old 968 cab being my favorite and GS400/540 being next in line. Now the 6 series does offer more interior room, but if I wanted that much room I would settle for a real 4 door and not settle for a 60k+ car with a soft top. Just my subjective opinion of course. It may fit you perfectly-just not myself. I really like the styling on the 6 series Coupe-the nicest out there to me- but the convertible I would rate below all cars in that category in terms of aesthetics. Takes on a Sebring look whereas the SC430 is very unique in it’s styling though not perfect-something about the rounded rear end that gets to me. But nowhere as ugly as the 6 convertible.
My only real complaint on the interior is the cup holder design and rear seats. No 2 door convertible should have rear seats minus the cheapie cars. My 968 cab had very nice lockable storage bins in lieu of back seats. Very handy.

Now back the original question, fact is not everyone likes the styling of the SC430 for a variety of reasons and I myself do not care much for stock SC430's. With the wheels tucked in the car it is just plain horrible IMO. Now with some nice wheels the car takes on a completely new perspective and is transformed. Either way the car will still garner more attention than anything Lexus has on the road whether that is a good or bad thing is dependant on the owner.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-20-06 at 09:07 AM.
Old 12-20-06, 11:33 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
I would have to disagree with you that that. Just because you may like the seating position, others may not. I have driven a 6 series twice. The seating position is uncomfortable at best and the interior layout is typical stark boring Mitsubishi BMW-my biggest complaint on current BMWs. I would say the interior belongs in a 35k car-certainly not 65k+. About the ugliest out there right now. What is with that GM steering wheel design and the 2nd cowl covering the nav screen needs to be cut off. Now the seating could just be my body frame-210lbs, 6' tall, but I find I fit nicely in the SC vs the 6 series. My old 968 cab being my favorite and GS400/540 being next in line. Now the 6 series does offer more interior room, but if I wanted that much room I would settle for a real 4 door and not settle for a 60k+ car with a soft top. Just my subjective opinion of course. It may fit you perfectly-just not myself. I really like the styling on the 6 series Coupe-the nicest out there to me- but the convertible I would rate below all cars in that category in terms of aesthetics. Takes on a Sebring look whereas the SC430 is very unique in it’s styling though not perfect-something about the rounded rear end that gets to me. But nowhere as ugly as the 6 convertible.
My only real complaint on the interior is the cup holder design and rear seats. No 2 door convertible should have rear seats minus the cheapie cars. My 968 cab had very nice lockable storage bins in lieu of back seats. Very handy.

Now back the original question, fact is not everyone likes the styling of the SC430 for a variety of reasons and I myself do not care much for stock SC430's. With the wheels tucked in the car it is just plain horrible IMO. Now with some nice wheels the car takes on a completely new perspective and is transformed. Either way the car will still garner more attention than anything Lexus has on the road whether that is a good or bad thing is dependant on the owner.
I agree that it's a question of preference, which is what I was trying (albeit, unsuccessfully) to convey before. However, when it comes to comparing these cars, I think its possible to be objective without showing a particular bias either for or against either manufacturer. Lets face it, we're not comparing an F1 car with a go cart. If that were the case, the point would be why bother because of the vast differences between the vehicles. Frankly, using adjectives like "boring", "ugliest", and "Sebring-like" to describe the 6-Series in comparison to the SC430 is more than unfair, it's just plain disingenuous. What would be boring, in my opinion, is a car forum where the individuals writing to the forum only want to behave as if theirs is the only car worthy of any serious thought or discussion.
Old 12-20-06, 03:03 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stating the obvious, styling is definitely subjective....but I think most people agree on some things. Most agree the current 645, we probably looked at it funny when it initially surfaced. I think most of us now think it is a sweet looking car. Me personally, I think it's the best coupe out at present.
Old 12-20-06, 03:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LeslieRC
I agree that it's a question of preference, which is what I was trying (albeit, unsuccessfully) to convey before. However, when it comes to comparing these cars, I think its possible to be objective without showing a particular bias either for or against either manufacturer. Lets face it, we're not comparing an F1 car with a go cart. If that were the case, the point would be why bother because of the vast differences between the vehicles. Frankly, using adjectives like "boring", "ugliest", and "Sebring-like" to describe the 6-Series in comparison to the SC430 is more than unfair, it's just plain disingenuous. What would be boring, in my opinion, is a car forum where the individuals writing to the forum only want to behave as if theirs is the only car worthy of any serious thought or discussion.
My post was not intended to offend, just stating my obvious subjective opinion. I am not going to call a car nice if I consider otherwise-not saying I do not like the 6 as I really do like the exterior and drivetrain of the 6 Coupe. You came on as you have recently have done (do a search on how many times you have mentioned you have a 645ci) bringing up the fact that you now have a 6 series and stated your opinion was different then anothers. I did the same. There will always be some bias to some degree as much as we would like to state or think otherwise. Some of my wording have seem harsh but that is how I really feel about the car.
As noted several times here I am not a huge fan of the SC430 styling either. As there is no such thing as the perfect car for everyone-this will just have to do for now.
Now if they placed the SC430 interior in the 6 series and made it a hard top-that would be a nice car indeed regardless of the name plate on the trim. But again this entire post went the wrong way with discussion of other cars as that is not what the OP intended so perhaps we should honor his question and keep things to the subject matter at hand which is what we think of the styling of the SC430, not what people think of the 6 series and on that I have already posted.
Now a question that should come up is whether we would have bought a SC430 Coupe weighing in about 250lbs less?

Last edited by Pearlpower; 12-20-06 at 03:36 PM.
Old 12-20-06, 04:19 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I still don't understand how and why these threads get started. Is the rest of CL like this?

Lets start two stickies.. 1) "What cars are better than the SC430 and why" and 2) "When is the new SC coming out because I want to trade up my 91 ES250 for one"
Old 12-20-06, 06:59 PM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
You came on as you have recently have done (do a search on how many times you have mentioned you have a 645ci)
I haven't kept a count, as you obviously have. What I know is that I've been a member of this forum for over three years and have never deliberately insulted, offended, or put-down anyone regarding their car. What I also know is that three of the six Lexus cars I've owned have been SCs, and that two of those were SC430s. In addition to that, what I know is that I have always tried to give fair and even-handed assessments, rather than useless pontificating about why one car may be lesser or better than another. So, if you care to count anything I've posted, please count that.
Old 12-20-06, 07:39 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hipendicul
I still don't understand how and why these threads get started. Is the rest of CL like this?

Lets start two stickies.. 1) "What cars are better than the SC430 and why" and 2) "When is the new SC coming out because I want to trade up my 91 ES250 for one"
Amen to that.
Old 12-20-06, 09:19 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

ok everyone, i am going to put this thread to rest. not coz' anyone violate any rules, but rather i don't want it to go in the wrong direction. personally i have no problem with threads like this, and i am not going to prevent threads like this from happening. i am open to all opinions. agree with not, i think everyone can say what they want.

leslieRC, i think you have taken lee's comments the wrong way, calm down, i really don't think he was trying to attack you or anything. to me, both of you guys are just stating your opinions and impressions about the cars. it just so happened that you guys disagree with each other, that's all.

to be honest, if i may just add a little bit here, personally i don't like the 6 series seatings and interior. me and my wife we couldn't get ourself comfortable in the car and we like our sc430 a lot more. but then again, that's just my point of view.

on topics like these, they can NEVER be objective. it's always about what YOU think and what HE thinks and what SHE thinks. there are no rules or "spec" on what's good or better out there, otherwise we would only see ONE kind of seat out there. for example wheels, they have to be round (for reasons), that's why all wheels on cars are round, you don't see a square wheels. however styling and such, those are all about personal tastes, and that's why we see so many varieties out there. so it's a matter of what you want, what's out there, and what you feel.

again, i am putting this thread to rest not coz' of anyone violating rules, but i just don't want it to go in the wrong direction.