SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What Do You Think of the SC430's Styling?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-06, 08:47 AM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Do You Think of the SC430's Styling?

Another thread in this forum contains a bit of a heated exchange over the SC's styling. I own an SC430, so obviously I don't find it repulsive, but I sometimes debate myself over the styling. It seems to be somewhat polarizing: I've had people tell me that it's a gorgeous car, but I'm also aware of the fact that many people find the styling odd.

The SC430's uniqueness, in itself, is not a bad thing--it occurs to me that it's the boldest design among those cars that have been in the Lexus lineup over the past several years. I think it can be fairly said that, as a rule, Lexus has not been overly imaginative in its exterior designs, but the SC stands out as a truly distinctive design.

Personally, I think the SC's true beauty is seen only when the top is down (the attached photo is my SC, a couple months back when driving sans roof was a joy.

With the top up, there are some angles from which I find it to be attractive, and others from which I find the proportions a tad awkward. What do you think?
Attached Thumbnails What Do You Think of the SC430's Styling?-sc430-front-left.jpg  

Last edited by MBoom; 12-19-06 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 09:14 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, imho the sc430 is a bit extreme car. on some other forums, some people see my car and they say it's amazing, but someone says it's so ugly that no matter what you do it's still ugly. i have learned how to not listen to any of those, heck it's just my car not theirs

to me, i think the front of the car is very nice. if anything my complain WAS (a bit was) the taillights. the 02-05 style was a bit weird, can't really can't how. but the 06 taillights change it totally imho, and that's why we got it.

oh and of course the stock wheels are among the worst i have seen to be honest
Old 12-19-06, 09:33 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it grew on me pretty quick, especially when seen in person. It has a retro-futuristic styling, that's how I would call it.
I still find it looks a little odd at certain angles, the butt is a little large & rounded. OTOH I think it looks gorgeous from other angles, especially with top UP from the side, particularly with a dark color/black car, it has a rare sculpture like quality which I love.

It's definitely is a distinct looking car & a daring design by Lexus standard, which is good AFAIC. Never care what other people think as long as I like it. There are cars whose looks I don't like but others do, so . . .

Last edited by Gojirra99; 12-19-06 at 09:37 AM.
Old 12-19-06, 10:14 AM
etzel
Driver School Candidate

not perfect but in time i think the design will be more widely appreciated, particularly with the stance and offsets the designers probably intended.
Old 12-19-06, 10:18 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the SC430 styling is classy, refinement, elegant and unique (top up or top down).

Recently, while in public, I had several people just walk up to the car wondering what brand it was from the front end. Then, proceed to come around to the back end and to their amazement they realized that they "L" stood for something.

I always enjoy viewing this car from an angle w/ top up/down because it takes on another shape and form. Top up and it seems like a spaceship from outer space. I wish it had side cannons and other James Bond weapons built into the car.

Top down, it's different from the side view and takes away the rounder look if viewed from the back end.

Whatever angle this car is perceived from, it has gained my respect and admiration of the quality and workmanship that was conceived by the designers knowing that they did a great job in luring pottential customers to catch that unique design and eventually buying the masterpiece.

All in all, I was never disappointed w/ this unique car and would never regret that I bought it.
Old 12-19-06, 04:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I hope you all don't mind a non-430 owner butting in.
The SC430 is one of the most stylish cars on the planet. No other car looks like it. Closest is the Solara but the 430 has a beauty the Solara can't match.
Sometimes it looks odd but sometimes it looks beautiful. It definitely needs bigger wheels and tires. The smaller stuff makes it look like a mushroom. Both head and tail lights are very unattractive to me. The retractible roof is sweet. That roofline is sexy. The car is too small but still carries a hefty weight. Interior is tight but beautiful. One of the best in the business. It is definitely the most stylish Lexus and lowered with whels, I would be proud to own...I would just not look at it from some angles.
Old 12-19-06, 05:23 PM
aquanuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LexArazzo
I didn't like it the first time I saw it, but it grew on me pretty quick, especially when seen in person. It has a retro-futuristic styling, that's how I would call it.
I agree does have a futuristic styling, there was a sci-fi film recently with Ewan McGregor where they had alot of cars modified to look set in the future and then there was a standard SC430. I thought that was quite funny how they thought the car looked right when the film was set 20 or so years into the future.

But yep the standard wheels are terrible.
Old 12-19-06, 06:48 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

I bought my SC430 because I know when modded it will look 100x more bold and stylish in a GOOD way which won't look like ANYTHING on the road. Put it this way most people see the front of my car and say "wow what kind of car is that !"

With the top down especially with a light interior people look at it and gawk. Our interior is HANDS DOWN the best interior among convertibles PERIOD !
Old 12-19-06, 09:11 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
With the top down especially with a light interior people look at it and gawk. Our interior is HANDS DOWN the best interior among convertibles PERIOD !
Yes Sir!! It's not even funny.
Old 12-19-06, 09:57 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default In comparison to other SC ("Sports Coupes")

The SC is well balanced, especially with a design that incorporates a hardtop that can hide in the trunk, as well as a V8 under the hood. It's clean, unique, and sexy, with a prominent presence on the road. Although the car should have been designed as a two-seater (designing useless rear seats are laughable), it does work all together.

However, my biggest concern with the SC is that it is designed too softly and (I know you've all heard it before) feminine. The car does not have a gene of sports/race design (hey, you can't make a silk slipper look like a running shoe, no matter now hard you try...). The body of the car is round and bloated: which is not a bad thing in design, but definately a bad thing as a sports coupe (which is what the SC stands for).

A true sports coupe should be styled with descriptive terms such as "chistled," "ripped," and "angular." The SC definately lacks such distinctive characteristics...
Old 12-19-06, 11:00 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few months ago I parked my SC outside the San Francisco Main Library in a sunny afternoon and when I came out from the library I saw two Asian couples (tourists I guess) stopped to admire the car. They each took turn to pose in front of the car and took pictures. I did not want to spoil their fun and just stayed in the background until they were done. Guys, there were a Mercedes E500 and a BMW 5 series right next to my SC but none of them got the attention I think the SC wins by its classy and sexy styling and also because there are much less SC on the roads and that makes it more unique. To me it is just a very elegant and beautiful car, and just the right size. Lexus does not need to make it any bigger.
Old 12-20-06, 03:42 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

In my opinion the best feature of the SC430 is its looks. There's no other car on the road today that looks like the SC430. It's an original. The car is smooth-looking and curvacious - like a beautiful woman. I remember the first time I washed my SC430 and saw how the water ran off the car - it just flowed away from every curve. My disappointment with the car was that it was not a performer. The throttle response was rather numb and it bounced over even the slightest uneven road surface. However, I cannot say that I did not enjoy my ownership experience with the SC430. Besides all of the compliments I received on account of the car, the only times my `04 saw the dealership was when it needed routine service.
Old 12-20-06, 03:51 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by D-MAN63
Our interior is HANDS DOWN the best interior among convertibles PERIOD !
Having previously owned two SC430s and now a BMW 645Ci Convertible I have to disagree with you on that call. The interior of the SC430 is quite attractive. However, the 6-Series' seats - front and rear, seating comfort, interior design, and the feel of the steering wheel all trump those of the SC430. [And did I mention that the 6-Series' steering wheel is heated? GREAT for driving with the top down on chilly days!.]
Old 12-20-06, 05:30 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by margaux01
Lexus does not need to make it any bigger.
They don't have to make it bigger outside...just take out the unusable rear seats...then make it a little sleeker and you'll have the best car on the planet.
Old 12-20-06, 07:40 AM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
The body of the car is round and bloated: which is not a bad thing in design, but definately a bad thing as a sports coupe (which is what the SC stands for).

A true sports coupe should be styled with descriptive terms such as "chistled," "ripped," and "angular." The SC definately lacks such distinctive characteristics...
I guess this shows that any assessment of styling is, ultimately, completely subjective. In my view, the best styled sports coupes (or, more generally, sports cars) eschew faddishness. When I think of the most beautiful cars, those that come to mind-- like the Jaguar XK-E, the early-sixties Ferrari 275GTB, the Aston Martin DB9, or the Porsche 911 (of any vintage)--generally adopt a more flowing, organic approach to styling. The beauty of these cars transcends the era in which they're produced, enduring as classics long after the ephemeral winds of trendiness have passed.

"Chiseled" and "angular" are not often done well, and such cars speak of a need to shout their presence, rather than to be present. Nope, for me it's smooth and swoopy. Need I say more than "Aztek"?

Quick Reply: What Do You Think of the SC430's Styling?