SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

fuel injector cleaning fluid? (maintance)

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-06, 06:12 PM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel injector cleaning fluid? (maintance)

my car has 50.000 miles. Do you recommend cleaning the fuel injector with those fluids that you mix with the gas for just maintance. If that is a good thing to do can you please tell me which brand should I use.

thanks
Old 12-22-06, 07:00 PM
csaxon
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Toyota recommends Techroline, a product developed and sold by Chevron.
The Chevron product TECHRON PLUS is the improved version of Techroline.
Old 12-22-06, 10:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Excellent stuff. I use it every 5k miles. Never had an injector issue with any of my cars once I started using it years ago.
Old 12-23-06, 12:26 AM
juguryan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some people don't like using it, saying that it does not help. And even it makes more problems, is it true?

How often should I use it?

Thanks
Old 12-23-06, 06:02 AM
Lexmex
Super Moderator

Received 162 Likes on 138 Posts

For years, until they got a cleaner Premium recently, I filled up on some bad gas.

What I have done is to take half a bottle of Techron and half a bottle of Restore Fuel injector cleaner on a half tank of Premium, and that cleans it out pretty well. For me, I did this once a month. However, in the U.S., maybe once every 6 months given the much better quality up there.

Best fuel injector cleaner that I ever found was the one from Amsoil, very potent and effective, but Amsoil does not sell there products down here.
Old 12-23-06, 09:50 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by juguryan
Some people don't like using it, saying that it does not help. And even it makes more problems, is it true?

How often should I use it?

Thanks
Speaking directly to manufactures, I was told that yes, in remote situations if your engine is very dirty and was not properly maintained then this may cause problems and clog your injectors worse. But this is very remote as you have a fuel filter back on the fuel pump. I would not hesitate putting a good quality FI cleaner in the system.
I once picked up an old Porsche years back with a combustion chamber and valves covered in carbon buildup.
After 4 bottles on Techron the buildup was 90% gone as viewed through the spark plug holes. When I had to R&R the head gasket on my Porsches (they all seemed to go out) the pistons and valves were always clean and never an issue with the injectors. The same with my old SC400
Old 12-23-06, 11:13 AM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
Speaking directly to manufactures, I was told that yes, in remote situations if your engine is very dirty and was not properly maintained then this may cause problems and clog your injectors worse. But this is very remote as you have a fuel filter back on the fuel pump. I would not hesitate putting a good quality FI cleaner in the system.
I once picked up an old Porsche years back with a combustion chamber and valves covered in carbon buildup.
After 4 bottles on Techron the buildup was 90% gone as viewed through the spark plug holes. When I had to R&R the head gasket on my Porsches (they all seemed to go out) the pistons and valves were always clean and never an issue with the injectors. The same with my old SC400
You know they say an engine that is worked hard is a clean one. I only use Mobile, Shell or Chevron for any of my cars and my mechanic always says that my cars run stronger than anyone else's.. Hmmm, I wonder why? I love the left pedal..
Old 12-23-06, 02:52 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 50 Likes on 39 Posts

've heard good things about the BG 44K. My mechanic recommends it too.
Old 12-23-06, 03:06 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I use Red Line every 2k miles.

Old 12-23-06, 04:26 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by hipendicul
You know they say an engine that is worked hard is a clean one. I only use Mobile, Shell or Chevron for any of my cars and my mechanic always says that my cars run stronger than anyone else's.. Hmmm, I wonder why? I love the left pedal..
You bring up a good point and one I overuse when questioned about my driving. "Just cleaning the engine officer."
Old 12-23-06, 07:23 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
You bring up a good point and one I overuse when questioned about my driving. "Just cleaning the engine officer."
Hah hah, sure I only got about 140K out of my Mr2 motor but man was it clean when it needed to be rebuilt. =) (note, I got 5 tickets in a little over a year trying to keep that engine clean)

But getting back on topic, I had to pull the fuel rail(with injectors attached) out of my old BMW and it had never seen a bottle of fuel injector cleaner and they were 100% clean. The point here is that unless you use crappy gas and don't drive hard, you don't need the stuff.

In this day and age where the engines are tuned to within an inch of not passing emmissions, trust me your friendly smog guy will tell you about trying some cleaner or maybe even a CE light and your dealer, but I wouldn't worry about it until your car atleast starts running rough at idle..
Old 12-26-06, 06:40 PM
doc s
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I use Red Line as well.