SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Stock wheels and the SC430

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 06:40 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Stock wheels and the SC430

Hey, after seeing a couple of posts about how the SC isn't a great looking car and that Lexus needs to do something about it, I started thinking..

I think the SC is a great looking car but why? I think I have pretty normal Sports car tastes, why would i want a car that I once called a convertable bubble? Well mostly cause my friend kept on and on about how good the new SC looked with wheels and a drop. I laughed and laughed. We finally dropped the argument as we were both getting mad. Then I bought one. He was right, I saw a few kick a$$ ones by my pad. White, with a kit and deep wheels and some sick one by longo (never seen one lower). Just plain bad a$$. (that first one might have been Henry or Mark..)

So now my question to you aftermarket wheel guys. Did you buy the car with the intention to get aftermarket wheels and drop it or were you happy with the stock styling, with the stock wheels and replaced them just cause?

I want to know if I'm the only one that would not own this car if it weren't for aftermarket wheel companies and being able to drop the car.

This picture says it all if you ask me. (Not cause my car is in front)
Attached Thumbnails Stock wheels and the SC430-dsc01142lr.jpg  
Old 01-16-07, 08:53 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I’m with you, all my friends gave me a hard time before I bought mine. Now after driving the car I love it, all the negatives I had in my head were blown away with my 1st week in the car... In my opinion in stock shape it still seems to me as a feminine car, but once you mod it a little bit it comes to life. just taking the emblem off the front grille has made me love the front so much more now. but over all I believe a set of nice/ semi aggressive wheels is all you need to make this car come to life (cosmetically).
Old 01-17-07, 12:35 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

I don't think I ever bought a car without thinking of altering it. My car, until recently, was based off of what Henry and Mark did. And of course, I had to take it one step further, although these will be gone within the next week or two.
Attached Thumbnails Stock wheels and the SC430-img_0034-2.jpg  
Old 01-17-07, 09:00 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm pretty young in my car ownership life, I'm 23 and this is the 4th car I've owned. My first was an ES I had for a year when I was 15 (no mods), than I got my SC400 when I was 16 (intake, exhaust, rims, drop, system), than I bought a Range Rover last year (no mods), and I picked up my SC430 6 months ago. So, I haven't had too much time to mod my rides or anything, but I bought the SC430 with no intention of modding it whatsoever. I've liked it since I first saw it when I was 17, and yea that includes the pie wheels. The new 5 spokes look nice, but not very original if you ask me. Yea, I think some of the modded rides look really good, but I think in its stock form, it's still one of the best designed cars I've ever seen, especially since the only styles I like better cost about 3 times as much... Ferrari's! And then, when you complement the exterior with the amazing design of the interior, well then I'm sold. No crazy mods for me, I'm entertaining the thought of getting new rims, just cause I got some curb rash on my current stock set. My 2 cents...

Did I mention how "cool" of a car it is???
Attached Thumbnails Stock wheels and the SC430-cimg2206.jpg  
Old 01-17-07, 09:35 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

so that's what freezing rain looks like when it dips very low and starts to form icicles. Looks like the South got hit pretty hard these last few days w/ that winter storm. We suffered as well here in the West w/ freezing temps which damaged most of our citrus fruits.

sorry to get off topic.

I altered my car because temptation was hard to resist.....
Old 01-17-07, 03:57 PM
hipendicul
Pole Position

I'm almost with Dan. All my cars were bought with the intention of wheels, drop and probably exhaust. The only exception was my 99 Mcoupe. I loved the looks stock and thought i was past the maturity level of slamming my car with wheels but in the end, I put on two sets of wheels and lowered the car alot. The Mcoupe was a love it or hate it car, where it seems that most people take to the SC, even in stock form.

The SC is my first convertable, first auto transmission, and the only car that I've wanted that has more than two seats.

I just wanted to see what other SC owners thought when they bought the car. I know the pie plates as a min, would've been left in the garage and I'd be running a whole lot of spacers in the rear..
Old 01-23-07, 11:18 AM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I got on the waiting list in Dec'01 when I just saw a picture of the new SC430. I was never crazy about the wheels and changed them to 18" Antera's in Sep'02. Now have iFORGED 19".
I hadn't planned lowering, but did it last year primarily to get adjustable shocks.
Old 01-23-07, 09:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

yup, same here. we bought the car under the condition that we WOULD mod it. the stock height + stock wheels is just not that appealing at all to me. but once modded, this is one damn nice car
Old 01-25-07, 02:32 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes yours is, Henry!