SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Performance Torque Converter installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-07, 12:02 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Thumbs up Performance Torque Converter installed

OK, I am coming down to the final few mods left for my car. A performance torque converter has been on my list for a while but which one to choose from has been my dilemma as I did not want the Check Engine Light that so many 430 owners have been plagued with. As a result this time around I went with the Lextreme high stall converter. My GS400 had the PI TC.
I am not going to go into the difference between the two as a search will review many posts and debate on the subject.

Installation was pretty much straight forward. Completing the job on floor stands always presents a challenge as the transmission must be balanced and removed on a floor jack. I do not recommend this to a novice with little experience as the trans is very heavy and will seriously injure or kill someone. I made a little bracket out of wood that mounts up and secures the unit.

Normal labor is around 5 hours using a lift. A bit longer using the floor jack method plus I had to remove and reweld the passenger header that had cracked (see header thread). This added an hour and a half to the process. Since I was in no hurry I just did this entire process over 3 days taking my time. I would say around 6-7 hours for the torque converter process plus the header issue.

Anyhow, I took it for a spin this evening and so far am impressed though hard numbers will be the final proof to compare to my prior Gtech runs.

Drivability is still the same as stock but giving it the hammer produces an abundant amount of wheel spin straight to redline before it shifts nicely into 2nd. This is with the LSD 3.76 installed and brand new warmed up 275's in the rear.

Price-around $275.00 with core exchange. In other words, the next person that purchases a 430 TC will most likely receive my old one rebuilt.

I will post some more feedback later along with some numbers.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 05-30-07 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-19-07, 08:19 AM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice Lee. I can't wait to see some numbers and your long term review on the TC. Thanks for the write up and great job on the install. So that's what you were working on huh?
Old 01-19-07, 08:53 AM
rsa supra
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool. I'm sure it's a totally different car now. What is the stall and what is stock? I convertor is good for 1 sec. in the 1/4 in a Supra. I'd imagine it shouldn't be too far off that in the SC, at least a half a second.

Last edited by rsa supra; 01-19-07 at 08:56 AM.
Old 01-19-07, 09:07 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i am assuming no check engine light thats awsome
Old 01-19-07, 09:24 AM
PRSUIT460
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Very cool! I have a nice PI TC in my Trans Am and I am thinking about doing one in my GS400 since they are pretty sluggish when you stab it from a stop.
Old 01-19-07, 09:29 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

I would have preferred the PI as it is lighter and reducing the rotational mass is always a good thing, but wanted to try something different to prevent any CEL. Now the kicker is, not all 430's experience the light and who knows, maybe mine is one of them and the PI would have been ok in my car. I would hate to not experience the light issue and someone else here installs the same converter and gets a light. But this way we have something to start with.

I need to get back under it today to remove a tad amount of fluid that I am over and also recheck all of the bolts for tightness and an overall inspection. Major work like this; always something missed. Always best to side with caution.
Old 01-19-07, 09:53 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Congrats on the mod!!! Great mod on these cars.

The whole character of the car changes so dramatically with this.
Old 01-19-07, 10:43 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

wow that's some awesome work, lee, congrats on the setup! now seriously not that many people can catch up with your car here among us don't leave us alone during the meet

btw, please definitely keep us posted on the cel
Old 01-19-07, 06:46 PM
BoostAddct
Lead Lap

Congrats on the mod! I have been leaning towards the Lextreme unit for awhile and just wanted to see some real world results from some others before ordering mine. Keep us posted.
Old 01-19-07, 09:43 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Default Update

So far so good. No leaks which is always a good thing. Remember to replace the rear main seal and input shaft seal as doing so later will result in the same labor cost. No abnormal vibration so I put the driveshaft together properly it seems.
I rechecked everything underneath, wires, connections, nuts, bolts, shields, exhaust, etc.. and all appear sound plus I drained a tad bit of fluid to even it out.

100 miles so far and no CEL.

Still trying to get a good feeling about the mod. During cruising there is no change but from the line the acceleration is brisk bringing the needle to redline in quick time and the shift into 2nd seems noticeably quicker and firmer vs. before. The day was warmer out so I was able to get some real neck jerking launches from the stop. The best thing about the mod is the harder launch from a dead stop gets the engine gets right into the mid range where the headers take over and screams to redline. This is the way the car should have come from the factory as there are no drivability issues involved for the country club folks. The car is snappier as well and removes much of the lag that plagues all 430’s. In fact ,shifting seems snappier all the way around which is odd as I did not expect this at all since the unit weighs a tad more than stock with the additional welds internally.

Don’t ask about mileage as I do not keep track of that.
Old 01-20-07, 07:36 AM
Hameed
EV ftw!!!

Received 298 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
So far so good. No leaks which is always a good thing. Remember to replace the rear main seal and input shaft seal as doing so later will result in the same labor cost. No abnormal vibration so I put the driveshaft together properly it seems.
I rechecked everything underneath, wires, connections, nuts, bolts, shields, exhaust, etc.. and all appear sound plus I drained a tad bit of fluid to even it out.

100 miles so far and no CEL.

Still trying to get a good feeling about the mod. During cruising there is no change but from the line the acceleration is brisk bringing the needle to redline in quick time and the shift into 2nd seems noticeably quicker and firmer vs. before. The day was warmer out so I was able to get some real neck jerking launches from the stop. The best thing about the mod is the harder launch from a dead stop gets the engine gets right into the mid range where the headers take over and screams to redline. This is the way the car should have come from the factory as there are no drivability issues involved for the country club folks. The car is snappier as well and removes much of the lag that plagues all 430’s. In fact ,shifting seems snappier all the way around which is odd as I did not expect this at all since the unit weighs a tad more than stock with the additional welds internally.

Don’t ask about mileage as I do not keep track of that.
The TQ and the 3.76 LSD you have work very well together in combination resulting in smoother and snappier shifts.

On my GS400, I first installed the Supra TT 3.76 LSD and the shifts from 2 - 3 were not very smooth and seemed to take longer when the car was cold.

However after I installed the TQ, the shifts evened out and smoother and no more jerky.

Great combo of mods!
Old 01-20-07, 08:29 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

every time I think I am getting close to finishing the car and not needing anymore work, you go and add some good mod and I am thinking man I need to do that too.

BTW I think the garage looks nice only a guy can apreciate another guys garage LOL
Old 01-20-07, 12:21 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Sorry Tony, just keep getting the itch. But, I am almost complete with my bolt ons, just 2 things remain.

It is difficult to place in order which mod I recommend as the first step since the 3.76LSD, headers, and TC all have advantages and all of them work in concert very well. The SC430 is a great touring car but these mods really turn it into a boulevard bruiser. Before, the car would sort of lug from the line until midrange where it would take off;now it jumps into the midrange and screams from there nailing 2nd gear firmly with very little slip. Very nice and the car remains very docile for cruising purposes.

150+ miles-no CEL. I checked for pending codes today and still nothing.

I still feel that my GS4 was still a bit snappier with the 3.76LSD/TC combo but that was with the PI TC which is lighter and no headers on the GS. But then I did not have that combo long as I installed a S/C in it shortly afterwards which was really horrible down low.

Final note: Trans cooler is vital for this install. I put in my custom unit from my GS400 a while back.
Link:
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=cooler

PIC:

Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 01-24-07 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-20-07, 03:35 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Pearlpower, this is what I have been waiting for.

I know you probably said this before in other threads, but please forgive me for my lazyness has taken over me in searching. What makes your TQ different from PI in which the CEL won't come on?

Thanks. I don't remember reading that you were going with this brand of TQ.
Old 01-20-07, 05:17 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Pearlpower

But then I did not have that combo long as I installed a S/C in it shortly afterwards which was really horrible down low.
What do you mean by "horrible down low"? Did you lose low end torque? Is horrible the new "bad" that can either mean good or bad (or good?) ?

Quick Reply: Performance Torque Converter installed