SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

strange gravel noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-07, 08:45 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got my car back but the noise still exists. The tech told me the moise was due to my rear tires being old (the car is an '02 with only 31k miles so they may have a flat spot) and the two front tires are newer. I plan to purchase some new tires and wheels anyway so we'll see. Let me know what your tech tells you.
Old 02-28-07, 02:50 PM
jw02
Driver School Candidate

Mine is still in the shop, can't wait for their explanation, but was given a brand new ES 350 to drive and what a difference in the quality of the interior. Makes me like the SC more than ever.
Old 03-01-07, 01:19 PM
kleef
Rookie

Mine is still in the shop too, although we've been playing phone tag, and they called to say it's "done." Although, the only thing mentioned was the rattle in the door panel, which is not the main reason I brought in the car.... So I am just a bit suspicious at this point. I, too, am driving a new ES350 and you are right, there is a big difference. I am so missing my SC! But I have to admit, the ES350 is tighter in the "creak, groan, and rattle" dept compared with mine. But I still would not trade!
Old 03-02-07, 10:50 AM
kleef
Rookie

Picked up the car yesterday.... took for a test drive with the shop foreman. Naturally the sound did not reproduce. However, this morning when it was cold (and cold outside), same sound as before. Not sure how I am going to proceed now; the Lexus dealer maintains that they test drove 3 different mornings and nobody heard the sound. Today, it was quite obvious!
Old 03-02-07, 07:36 PM
markch
Rookie

Originally Posted by kleef
Picked up the car yesterday.... took for a test drive with the shop foreman. Naturally the sound did not reproduce. However, this morning when it was cold (and cold outside), same sound as before. Not sure how I am going to proceed now; the Lexus dealer maintains that they test drove 3 different mornings and nobody heard the sound. Today, it was quite obvious!
When I had my Supra Turbo I had a problem with clicking sound in my differential. Each time I did a slow turn I had noise come from below the car. The mechanic and shop foreman claimed they did not hear it. This went on for almost a month and more test drives than I can remember. It was most obvious when I did a slow turn inside a parking structure. They finally admitted to hearing the noise when I had a semi-polite hissy-fit. As it turns out, the mechanic put the wrong gear oil in the differential and ruined the gears.

The point of this story is to be persistent. I would suggest you park your car overnight at the dealership so it is cold and un-driven when you go for the test drive with them. Make sure you have an appointment and their undivided attention. Hope it all works out...don't give up or give in but always stay calm...this works to your advantage.
Old 03-02-07, 07:55 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm, not much back there to make noise while you car is at a standstill.
There is the charcoal canister system back there but this is fully operating when the car is warmed up.
The fuel pump really cannot be heard as it is in the gas tank.
The only thing really left and what I think it is are the heat shields that go over the driveshaft or exhaust system in the rear. The sound you describe is very common with exhaust sytems.
Are you able to start the car cold while jacked up and someone under it?
Old 03-03-07, 05:42 AM
jw02
Driver School Candidate

Got the car back Friday and problem was fixed by them replacing the 2 left side tires that apparently had sidewall damage. The noise is gone but better than that the ride is so much better its hard to discribe. We just had the car for about a week so replacement was taken care of by the Lexus. I have got a set of runflats that I run when I take my Corvette on road trips and don't really like them either, but the main complaint on them is slowly creating more road noise as they get older. They don't seem to have near as great an effect on handling as they do on the SC.
Old 03-05-07, 10:42 AM
kleef
Rookie

This morning when I left for work, I did not hear the noise. Also, it was about 61 deg outside. I am starting to make a correlation that in order to hear this noise, it has to be cold outside (in the lower 50's or below), and the car has to be cold. I'll let the service rep know this. Somebody earlier mentioned something about that creaking/crackling noise you hear after you shut the engine off (exhaust system?).... the noise is similar to that but with the added sound of gravel-getting-spit-around-the-wheelwells type of sound, and is much more pronounced in turns. The noise goes away after about a minute or so....

I have not started the motor with the car jacked up. Also, the noise is only really noticeable while the car is in motion, not while revving at a standstill.
Old 03-05-07, 10:57 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kleef
This morning when I left for work, I did not hear the noise. Also, it was about 61 deg outside. I am starting to make a correlation that in order to hear this noise, it has to be cold outside (in the lower 50's or below), and the car has to be cold. I'll let the service rep know this. Somebody earlier mentioned something about that creaking/crackling noise you hear after you shut the engine off (exhaust system?).... the noise is similar to that but with the added sound of gravel-getting-spit-around-the-wheelwells type of sound, and is much more pronounced in turns. The noise goes away after about a minute or so....

I have not started the motor with the car jacked up. Also, the noise is only really noticeable while the car is in motion, not while revving at a standstill.
In my experience, anytime noise goes away once the car is heated up it is due to the properties of expanded metal. I am leaning towards exhaust shields.
Old 03-05-07, 02:16 PM
kleef
Rookie

Thanks for the input... I'll bring this up with the service rep. It is more than a little frustrating to bring the car in and not be able to duplicate the problem.
Old 03-21-07, 07:55 PM
FunGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
any sol'ns yet? i have the same prob. I just got new tires on my dubz to. So sidewall is out of the question
Old 03-29-07, 08:32 AM
kleef
Rookie

Update: When I picked up the car earlier this month, we went for a test drive, "cold." The noise was not present. However, next morning, there it was again. Now I have determined that it happens when the car is cold, AND when it is also cold outside (lower than around 60 deg F). Today is was 50 deg and I heard it loud and clear for the 1st minute or so, and also occasionally when accelerating or making a turn. It's a combination of a gravel-type noise, along with what sounds like small stones sliding somewhere in the car near the front right wheel area. I wonder if this could be related to when they rotated and balanced the tires at the 30K servicing. I want to bring the car back in, but with the weather warming up there aren't as many chances for a cold morning now.
Old 04-23-07, 12:14 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

The dealer informed me it was my 2 rear tires making the noise and I guess they were right. I just installed 4 new wheels/tires (20x8.5, 245/30/20 Falken 452's) and the noise is gone.