SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

strange gravel noise

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-07, 03:00 PM
kleef
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default strange gravel noise

Just had my '03 SC in for the 30K service, and since I've gotten it back, whenever i start up and the engine is still cold, there is a sound that occurs that is similar to the sound you might hear if you travel over freshly laid asphalt..... that sound of little gravel getting spit up from the tires. This sound continues for a few minutes and then disappates, but happens again the next time I start up. This morning I opened the door while moving slowly down the street to hear it more clearly, and the sound seemed to be coming from the rear. I got out and looked and didnt' see anything back there, or on the tires!

Does anyone have a clue what this might be? Perhaps it is a coincidence that it started after I picked up my car from the Lexus service.. who knows!
Old 02-07-07, 08:36 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey, my brother from another mother. you have the same year and color as I have.

I recently had my 30k maint. and didn't encounter any engine or exterior "gravel-like" noise from my car.

Now, after reading carefully your description, I do have non-runflat Michelin Pilot A/S tires which do have the wider tread and I tend to pick up small gravel, rocks and seeds from the road. Sometimes, these tiny little gravel rocks stick in between my tread which makes a minor sound every time it hits the pavement.

This could be the sympton you're having. Are you still on the Dunlop runflats or non-runflats?

thanks...teeman3
Old 02-07-07, 08:48 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

With the car off and cool, go back and kick the exhaust tips to see if the noise is loose debris in the exhaust system.
Old 02-07-07, 11:12 PM
kleef
Rookie

I have exchanged my runflats for the Michelin Pilot Sports, but this sound is much more pronounced than the small rocks that might stick in the tread. In fact, it starts us quite noticeably while backing out of my garage. It seems a little too coincidental that it started the day I picked up my car from the dealer after the 30K service!

Originally Posted by teeman3
Hey, my brother from another mother. you have the same year and color as I have.

I recently had my 30k maint. and didn't encounter any engine or exterior "gravel-like" noise from my car.

Now, after reading carefully your description, I do have non-runflat Michelin Pilot A/S tires which do have the wider tread and I tend to pick up small gravel, rocks and seeds from the road. Sometimes, these tiny little gravel rocks stick in between my tread which makes a minor sound every time it hits the pavement.

This could be the sympton you're having. Are you still on the Dunlop runflats or non-runflats?

thanks...teeman3
Old 02-07-07, 11:14 PM
kleef
Rookie

Thanks, will check it out tomorrow before I leave for work! I just returned from a friend's house for dinner and the car cooled down, and the sound was as loud as ever! But after a minute or two it was gone. Quite perplexing and also annoying.

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
With the car off and cool, go back and kick the exhaust tips to see if the noise is loose debris in the exhaust system.
Old 02-08-07, 06:24 PM
mmaloy
Driver

Internals of the rear muffler has possible internal rust. You know that creeking noise you always hear on cars from the under carriage once you shut 'em off? That's the exhaust system contracting /cooling. If there has been residual moisture left in the muffler, when you start back up later, it re-expands and you'll hear the same "clicking/crackling" noises from the rear end.....JMO.
Old 02-10-07, 11:55 AM
mwitt
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My guess would be a "heat shield" on the exhaust system that has rusted or come loose. When it heats up and expands, it tightens up and becomes quiet.
Old 02-12-07, 12:36 PM
kleef
Rookie

I am still perplexed.... Today was more noticeable than usual. But really, it sounds like light gravel being kicked through something, not really like heat expansion crackling noises. Almost like something gravelly got into one of the fluid systems or something.... possible? I am going to bring it back to Lexus this week to check.
Old 02-18-07, 07:38 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

Do you have any updates? I am experiencing the exact same noise problem from my left rear wheel. I just purchased a 2002 SC with 31k miles and I did not notice the noise when I test drove the car. However, it just had the 30k service done and the back brakes were adjusted. The noise only occurs once per tire rotation like something is rubbing against the tire. If I go slow it is very noticeable. Once the car has been driven for awhile the noise is much less noticeable. I thought it might be a flat spot on the tire or a busted belt, etc. I plan to have my car checked later this week and will let you know if they discover the cause. Please do the same. Thanks.
Old 02-21-07, 12:40 PM
kleef
Rookie

update: I am bringing my baby into the dealership tonight to investigate..... The service rep has conjectured that it might be due to the power steering fluid... we'll see.
Old 02-21-07, 07:57 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

I am taking my SC in Friday morning and will update. Service rep said it might be due to new brakes or could be a ball bearing issue. Who knows? Let me know what you find out.
Old 02-22-07, 11:30 AM
kleef
Rookie

Hopefully I'll find out today. A guy at work thought it might be the brake pads (or was that discs) being corroded and rubbing off at the start of the driving day and then building up again overnight. All these theories!
Old 02-27-07, 08:31 AM
jw02
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dawk1
Do you have any updates? I am experiencing the exact same noise problem from my left rear wheel. I just purchased a 2002 SC with 31k miles and I did not notice the noise when I test drove the car. However, it just had the 30k service done and the back brakes were adjusted. The noise only occurs once per tire rotation like something is rubbing against the tire. If I go slow it is very noticeable. Once the car has been driven for awhile the noise is much less noticeable. I thought it might be a flat spot on the tire or a busted belt, etc. I plan to have my car checked later this week and will let you know if they discover the cause. Please do the same. Thanks.
Mine is going in today for the same noise. It is very noticeable when it first comes out in the morning and then goes away. Probably won't be able to duplicate at the dealer.
Old 02-27-07, 09:47 AM
kleef
Rookie

I took my car in last Thursday and they still have it (for other reasons including rattle in wood inlays due to stereo....3rd time in for that)

On Friday, they called to say the problem is that the front tires are wearing and the "whirring" noise I am hearing is due to that. But I gently reminded the service advisor that the not is not a whirring, but a very distinct crackling gravel-type noise. He said they'd go out on test ride the next day to check it out. Still haven't heard back.
Old 02-27-07, 11:13 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

i always think that noise is caused by tires.
if lexus tech can find a cure, i am more than happy to know about it.

Quick Reply: strange gravel noise