SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Oil change advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 03:37 PM
JohnD
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil change advice

Bought my 2007 SC in Dec. of last year and it's been pretty cold here in the northeast. Needless to say, I haven't had the desire to crawl under the car to assess what I need to do to change the oil filter and oil. As I prefer to do it myself when possible, I was wondering if you could help me prepare for this when the weather warms. I apprecitate any tips that you guys might have and I have a few questions as well. Where exactly is the drain plug and filter located? I have read that a cover has to be removed, does that pose a problem in anyway? How do you lift your car and how high to do this change? If you use ramps, which ones do you use for clearance on the front? Is the filter and plug accessed easily? I know many of you have performed this maintenance and I greatly apprecitate any input that you may have. Thanks again.

JohnD
Old 03-07-07, 10:35 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Default No replies on oil change?

Posted a request for oil change info on 2/18 and there was 106 views and 0 replies. Just wondering if I worded it incorrectly or is something else wrong. I thought a lot of you changed your own oil and could offer some helpful hints before I get under the car and started removing things. Please advise if I did something wrong or is it just a boring subject? Thanks for any info.

JohnD
Old 03-07-07, 10:49 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i used to change my oil on the toyota. but now, w/ the SC430 on synthetic, i take it to my tuning shop for all oil changes, tune-ups and maintenance.

i'm sure there are a few here that prefer changing their own oil.
Old 03-07-07, 11:04 AM
JohnD
Rookie

Originally Posted by teeman3
i used to change my oil on the toyota. but now, w/ the SC430 on synthetic, i take it to my tuning shop for all oil changes, tune-ups and maintenance.

i'm sure there are a few here that prefer changing their own oil.

Thanks for the reply teeman..... Was kinda getting a complex... LOL

JohnD
Old 03-07-07, 11:07 AM
mkorsu
Zombie Slayer

It may have been because oil changes are such a common topic that they have been discussed hundreds, perhaps thousands of times.

A simple search would have brought any of those previous threads right to the fore-front.
Old 03-07-07, 11:13 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,305 Likes on 1,406 Posts

John

I've merged your two threads together. I do suggest you try the search feature of our forum where you can often get instant answers to questions you have without having to post.

For example, I searched for 'drain plug' on the SC430 forum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ght=drain+plug

Or looking for 'change' in the thread title in the sc430 forum
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...ghlight=change

Older thread with the same response as yours

Last edited by DaveGS4; 03-07-07 at 11:17 AM.
Old 03-07-07, 11:20 AM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Hey john,
When I did my oil change it took me around 30 minutes.
1) remove the oil cap from the top side of the engine
2) raise the car up from the drivers side with jack stands or any other secure method *
3) lay directly beneath in the middle of the car, and as you look up about 2.5 feet in from the front bumper you will see a rectangular metal casing with a drain plug towards the passenger side of the vehicle.
*( now the reason why I say raise the car from the drivers side is so that the oil is pushed towards the drain plug which is located on the passenger side of the car)
4) This casing is the oil pan, carefully remove the plug and make sure you have a big enough pan to soak up the oil, since you have removed the oil cap from the top side of the engine the oil will pour out fairly quickly.
5) As the oil drains now you can focus your attention on the filter. Now if you are still laying underneath the car like in step 3 the oil filter would be located between the oil pan and the front bumper towards the drivers side front wheel.
6) remove the bolts along the drivers side of the panel and you will see a little plastic shield piece in front of the front wheel/tire, remove the bolts on this part since it will make your job a little bit easier.
7) Once these screw/bolts are taken off you can proceed to pull down the cover and you will see the oil filter sitting in the middle of the opening.
8) Remove the oil filter by turning it counter clockwise.
9) As you remove the filter, make sure the old rubber seal has stayed seated in the old filter and has not stuck to the engine block.
10) Grab the new oil filter and some oil and lube up the new black rubber seal to ensure a better seal.
11) Screw on the oil filter by turning it clockwise, once its hand tightened with the oil filter tool tighten it 1 ½ more turns to make sure its on tight.
12) Replace the plastic panel and re-install all the screws/bolts.
13) replace the oil drain plug, after you tighten it by hand with a wrench tighten it another 1 to 1.5 turns.
14) ADD OIL, I buy 5* bottles of oil and it is enough for our 430’s. Lastly I use synthetic oil but you may use what ever you have been using or like to use.
*( DOH!! I forgot to mention I usually use an oil additive and so that’s why I use 5 quarts, pearpower is right, you will need 6 quarts if you are not planning to use any additives.)

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 03-07-07 at 11:58 PM.
Old 03-07-07, 10:55 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tommy, many thanks for taking the time to give such clearly written step-by-step instructions. Even such uninitiated like me could understand. Doing it myself though is another matter. I guess I'll need someone to keep an eye for me in case I inadvertently screw up something else
Hey, really appreciated !
Old 03-07-07, 11:36 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

5.5 qts with filter change.
Old 03-08-07, 07:50 PM
Max707
Lexus Champion

Received 42 Likes on 40 Posts

I would suggest that you have the 5K mile services done at the local Lexus dealership. It adds to the value of the car since this becomes a perm. record and follows the car in the future. The service is cheap and part of the pleasure of owning a Lexus is the great service experience. Enjoy it!!!
Old 03-08-07, 11:43 PM
Yeah!
Lexus Test Driver

JohnD,

You might want to check w/your Lexus dealership if the 1st oil change is on them. Some dealerships do this.