How to install Ipod/mp3 etc. w/ pics

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-07, 04:07 PM
jameskhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up How to install Ipod/mp3 etc. w/ pics

This guide is for all of you out there that want a ipod/mp3 etc. installed
in your car with high quality sound through your original ML stereo.

After alot of research ive come the the conclusion that this is the ultimate solution for getting the best soundquality using a external player as for example an Ipod, Mp3 player etc.

What ive used is:
- Vaistech SLU Kit
- Harman Kardon Drive + Play

And after not finding a single tutorial/description for installing these things, nor even "getting to the radio" I decided to make one myself.

Please do comment!
Attached Files
File Type: doc
Instructions.doc (476.5 KB, 1353 views)
Old 03-04-07, 05:56 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Props to you for that excellent write-up.

You are one of the very few newbies who actually contributes to this forum instead of asking some very old and boring questions that have been answered many times before.
Old 03-04-07, 08:30 PM
Cruizing
Rookie

Very nice writeup. It is very helpful to have step by step instructions with pics. Good for us folks not in Cali where info can be shared at meets. Thanks for the info.
Old 03-05-07, 12:52 AM
jameskhan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by talwang
Props to you for that excellent write-up.

You are one of the very few newbies who actually contributes to this forum instead of asking some very old and boring questions that have been answered many times before.
Thanks man! I bought my car a few month ago and where I live (sweden) there has been snowing for each of those months:P Trying to prepare it for the comming spring/summer

Originally Posted by Cruizing
Very nice writeup. It is very helpful to have step by step instructions with pics. Good for us folks not in Cali where info can be shared at meets. Thanks for the info.
Yeah man, I only found bits and pieces here and there on each different thing (how to open the center console, how to install the H/K drive+play and how to install the slu kit) but no step-to-step guide which for me is critical, being a noob not wanting to "screw up my car". And the toughest for me is that there are like max 30cars in our country, mostly driven by older men having a lot of dough (a new car here cost like 106K) so there are 0 ppl to ask/getting info from.
Old 03-05-07, 07:08 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

this might be a dumb question, but if the Vaistech SLU Kit lets you control your ipod through stereo controls and displays the songs, why use the H/K drive+play too?
Old 03-05-07, 10:16 AM
davi1026
Driver School Candidate

Red face Awesome

That is an awesome write up. Hopefully I can work on this on the weekend thanks!!
Old 03-05-07, 10:56 AM
veilstylez
Rookie

THATS AWSOME!!!!! WOW THANKS FOR THE WRITE-UP how much is that Vaistech SLU kit?
Old 03-05-07, 11:47 AM
jameskhan
Driver School Candidate

The Vaistech SLU kit cost 270$. Its sure worth every dime
Old 03-05-07, 02:19 PM
AndrewNm
Driver School Candidate

James, thanks a lot for an excelent writeup! I was going to go to a Lexus dealer to get the work done, but with your directions this task seems pretty straight forward to do it on my own.

Are there any other alternatives to Vaistech SLU Kit? $270 seems a lot for a regular audio splitter.
Old 03-06-07, 06:13 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AndrewNm

Are there any other alternatives to Vaistech SLU Kit? $270 seems a lot for a regular audio splitter.
I'm not sure if this is the same kit he used, but according to their site this will let you control you ipod with your stereo controls and displays the song information on the stereo screen. If true, I wouldn't think you'd need the HK drive+play kit.

http://vaistech.com/sli.html
Old 03-07-07, 12:33 AM
jameskhan
Driver School Candidate

Andrew, yes the installation is pretty much straight forward. Just take your time and follow the instructions

Jason, I use the the SLU kit coz thats the only one working for my car model (2002). The newer car models can handle SLI etc. just take a look at their homepage for compitability
Old 03-07-07, 01:02 PM
AndrewNm
Driver School Candidate

same for me....for 2002 only slu will work. I will be installing it shortly. I'm still lookin for star-like wheel covers (non-chrome). Noone is answering my post....I wonder if the only option we have is $500 from a dealer? James, are you planning to get rid of the dish-like covers?
Old 05-26-09, 12:33 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jason702
I'm not sure if this is the same kit he used, but according to their site this will let you control you ipod with your stereo controls and displays the song information on the stereo screen. If true, I wouldn't think you'd need the HK drive+play kit.

http://vaistech.com/sli.html
Does anyone know if this allows Sat Radio integration too?
Old 05-26-09, 07:35 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Holy old-*** thread Batman!

If you want Satellite Radio (and you have an 05+ SC430), the Vais SLs or SL2s would give you seamless OEM integration.

If you've got an 02-04, you have to go with the SLU (which only gives you "dry" audio inputs) and then add a Sirius external receiver (something like the Starmate 5 or the InV2 - both of which should fit in the ashtray area (with modification) or in the center console). I installed a Starmate 3 (I think it's the "3") in my ashtray when I first got the car. It worked out very nice; it's easy to reach, easy to read the display, and you can close the ashtray cover and leave no trace of the "upgrade". However, the SLU provides no steering wheel controls; there's no way to get those working on the Vais units for the 02-04's.
Old 05-26-09, 07:49 AM
mhoepfin
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is a nice writeup. I was wondering about Ipod integration.

This is the instance though that I am glad there is a tape deck, as it's easy enough to pop in a cassette adapter and play the Ipod through that and then hide it when the top is left up.

Always hesitant about showing too many integrated electronics on a convertible.

Quick Reply: How to install Ipod/mp3 etc. w/ pics