SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

StopTech 4 Wheel BBK Info

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-07 | 02:00 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Default StopTech 4 Wheel BBK Info

I've been accumulating info to decide which BBK to go with, and I was reviewing the StopTech 4 Wheel kit on their website (www.stoptech.com).

I thought they had made a mistake listing their ST-40 4-piston caliper for both front and rear, so I emailed them. I was also concerned that if they used the same caliper for both F & R that there would be a brake bias problem. I was wrong. I got this good message back which explains the kit in more detail, fyi:

"The brake balance will not be thrown off by using our ST-40 caliper front and rear. Although our rear kit is an ST-40 caliper, it is not the same as the front caliper. We use the ST-40 in numerous applications, but internally we have dozens of way we can arrange piston sizing to accommodate for proper brake balance and bias. All of our kits are tested before being released to the public. So in essence, you are getting front and rear ST-40 calipers, but INTERNALLY they are not the same from front to rear.

We design all of our kits in conjunction with the OEM Master Cylinder and the stock ABS system. We test everything, to assure you that your balance and bias will be proper for street and performance driving under all conditions."

They are definitely on my list.
Old 03-14-07 | 02:08 PM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

that didnt sound like a good answer to me. it was a little too vague.
Old 03-14-07 | 02:58 PM
bt430
Pole Position

I've got them on the front and it's a huge difference from stock. When they first came out they had a 4 wheel kit but then discontinued it. Sounds like they are making it again.

BT
Old 03-14-07 | 03:24 PM
talwang

If I want bbk setup for my car, StopTech will be my first choice.
Old 03-14-07 | 03:30 PM
TXFM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tonydt1g3r
that didnt sound like a good answer to me. it was a little too vague.
Tony - Hmmmm... I guess I took it to mean that they use the same ST-40 caliper housing size for both F&R, but downsize each of the 4 pistons for the rear caliper. Does this make sense? I guess I could ask the difference in piston sizes (?).
Thanks
Old 03-14-07 | 04:00 PM
talwang

so front 4 pistons and rear 2 pistons make more sense to you guys.
I only care if they have proper balance and bias.
Old 03-14-07 | 04:25 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Guys, you really only need the front. Reason being is that the rear are barely used when braking, if used at all. My understanding is that the rears are used primarily as parking brakes. As a friend told me, "... when the car is moving, (the rear brakes) are along for the ride, nothing else." Lee, any validity to what my friend told me? I took it as true because, well he know a lot about working on cars.

If you notice, Henry and I both have the Stoptechs and we both only have the front calipers. The rears are nothing but painted stock calipers.

I used Stoptechs on several cars before this and for the price, it's the best. The only cars I have been able to feel the rears braking and thus had to modulate the brake bias were on a 993, Mazda FC, and a specially made race car.

Last edited by Dan_K; 03-14-07 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-14-07 | 05:06 PM
bt430
Pole Position

You could see if they will do a ST60 6 piston up front and ST40 4 piston on the rear. Lee is all over that with his Rorura setup.

BT
Old 03-14-07 | 05:32 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Personally, I cannot justify on a rear setup. The only reason why I would get the rear is because it looks dinky small/ugly compared to the front BBK. To clarify, this does not mean the rears do not do anything because they do account for some of the braking. But on a daily basis, the stock rears have enough stopping power. Maybe if you're going in reverse really really fast and you need that instant stop, then maybe you'll want a rear setup too
Old 03-14-07 | 06:01 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic
CL Folding 25,000

Well to add, the stock rears in my best estimation provide around 15-20% of the overall braking on this vehicle. However for a rear wheel drive car I feel that is a bit too low. FWD cars generally run in that area, not RWD. The rear brakes on this car just are simply a tad small even for stock with a huge bias towards the front. Again, my opinion based a a few years with Porsches and such with front /rear Brembos.
With my current setup, the balance in high speed fast lane change braking is very good. I tested it up to 80 so far with a very fast lane change and hard braking and left feeling safe and comforted.
When I had just the TT front calipers on, matters worsened as those brakes are dramatically better than stock and the rears are just not up to the challenge.
Now when I put on the Rotora rear brake kit, oh boy, the bias went straight to the rear. Once I installed the front 6 piston setup things are balanced out nicely.
StopTech makes nice stuff and they really push, and I mean push the fact that their systems are balanced for the car, but I have always questioned what their brakes really offer that others do not. More clamping force will upset the balance as most (if not all BBK ) will undoubtedly have. It is a larger caliper and holds more reserve fluid to act upon the pads once the pedal is pushed ,unless the channels internally are very small to avoid a higher clamping force. Or did they reduce their caliper clamping force to such a degree that it stops the same as a stock system would yet allow less fade in the long run in spirited driving/braking. This would hold true if owners stated that the StopTech brakes they had braked the same as stock yet did not fade which is not the case. The reviews I have seen on them is that the brakes have much more bite and the car stops quicker similar to what other BBK owners state..

Another way to put it is, how can their brakes be balanced yet offer better than standard braking performance with just a front setup, because what happens when someone puts on a rear setup? Something has to give. So I suppose with all of this the real question is, in what setup is their system balanced for the car? Front only, front and rear only? I have seen them advertise both and cannot find much logic as the front calipers are the same part number if going 4 wheel setup or only 2.
Perhaps Henry can chime in on his experience on any hard braking and bias/balance.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-15-07 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-14-07 | 07:37 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup
CL Folding 10,000

i am surprised that stoptech still has rear 4 pot setup? i believe they stopped that long time ago. oh well
Old 03-14-07 | 07:52 PM
bt430
Pole Position

Having had to really stomp on the brakes just today it felt like the bias was so front heavy the car wanted flip. I think I need to look at something on the rear that will balance this out.

BT
Old 03-15-07 | 11:21 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

nice answer lee. Thats why i said their answer was vague, it didnt really answer anything.
Old 03-17-07 | 11:45 AM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Car will only stop as good as the tire's

Tread,Tread Type,UTG code of tire ( softness)

My Nsx Tires Are 120 Utg Code , I Get About 3k On The Rears, 6k On The Fronts

Front Is Toe Is 4 Degree's,rear 6 Degree's Toe

Right Side Of Car Is Always Pushing Left , Left Side Is Always Pushing Right , Car Always Stays Center On The Road And Doesnt Drift...

Last edited by GEE-BEE; 03-17-07 at 11:47 AM. Reason: spelling