SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

New Member Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-07, 09:42 AM
ConcreteR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member Question

Long time lurker, new member. Wife has a 2006 SC 430 with about 6000 miles. Shortly after delivery the front windshield cracked due to a defect. Window replaced under warranty and took three tries to get all interior and exterior trim installed correctly. During this process the convertible top weatherstripping was damaged. During 5000 mile service the strip was ordered and just yesterday replaced. Again all the interior front pillar trim and exterior widow trim was not correctly installed. Exterior trim on driver side came loose at about 70 miles per hour and all interior pillar trim can be pulled off with your hand and little effort. Long story back in the shop with many apologies from the dealer and again have to order all the clips, etc. Car probably not done till early next week. My question (Finally) have any of you had to replace the front windshield and if so was it this much trouble?
Thanks
Old 03-16-07, 09:51 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to your first post.
Did the dealer actually replace the windshield? Or did they contract the service out where an installer showed up at the dealer? Had mine replaced a year ago (large rock the size of Montana). I watched these guys intensely throughout the process. There is much to remove to get to the windshield on this car and I actually removed a few pieces myself that I was afraid they would screw up.
No issues after the install. Pretty happy though they did manage to place a few small dents into a few trim pieces with their screwdriver. It is an involved process, but not difficult. Sounds as if the installer has no clue or is not detailed oriented. Big difference in replacing a windshield on this car vs. a 95 Ford which just drop right in with some urethane.
I would speak to the next person in the chain of command and explain the issues with them.
Let us know how it turns out the next time around.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 03-16-07 at 09:54 AM.
Old 03-16-07, 01:00 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

welcome to CL

my front windshield cracked as well and it was covered under warranty (it's not from rock). afterwards i also noticed that one of the front a-pillar was not installed right and it was loose. got that replaced and everything has been perfect since.

maybe just your dealership didn't do it right?
Old 03-16-07, 03:04 PM
ConcreteR
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the comments. When the windshield was first replaced it was an outside sub of the dealers. After two trips the dealer finally fixed the trim with one of their mechanics. This time for the weatherstripping they used their own guy. According to the service manager this morning that guy has been fired. Now they have (I hope) the guy who was able to get it right the last time. This is my wife's second SC 430 and absolutely no problems with the first one. All other service has always been excellent.