SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Would you buy a SC if it wasn't a droptop?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-07, 11:21 PM
ASPLS430
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Would you buy a SC if it wasn't a droptop?

I showed my SC to a friend today since I just got it last weekend. He said it was nice, a little small inside, surprised a guy my size would even fit. He drove it, found the handling pretty good for a Lexus although the ride with the runflats sucked. He also liked the luxury element and value. He's got a SL500, which to me, is actually even more cramped and small inside, but then he's a much smaller guy. Then he asked me if I would've bought this car if it wasn't a hardtop convertible. The older SCs weren't and still a lot of people bought them, but I dont think I would've if wasn't. I had a CLK softop before and the noise was huge with the top up. I wanted a hardtop convertible. Sure wouldnt fit inside a SLK and the SL is out of my budget. If the SC wasnt a convertible, I dont think I would have gotten one. There are just way too many choices of 2 door coupes out there. What do you guys think?
Old 03-21-07, 11:28 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hmmm, good question. A hardtop would be lighter for sure=better performance. But....hmmmm....it does look very good with the top up though those rear seats would be even more difficult to use though they really can only be used by kids in the present form.

I would say probably. That interior just sticks to me.
Old 03-21-07, 11:39 PM
jameskhan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with both of you, its a tricky question. But in the end I don't think I would have bought one. I think that it look beautiful while top up or down which makes it the perfect combination of charm and look. I've never seen this combination of any other car out there, with reasonable price, luxury standard and alot of space for the driver plus one passenger. This is what makes this car so magical and whole.

But, bottom line, as ASPLS430 put it, if it wouldn't be convertable it would be hard not to take a second look at all the other 2doors coupe cars especially because the sc430 is more like a cruiser for me and not a sports car.
Old 03-22-07, 06:46 AM
brianley
Driver School Candidate

No, the convertible aspect was a major reason why I bought the car.
Old 03-22-07, 07:34 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The whole aspect of the 2SC is the hardtop.

If I didn't want a hardtop, I'd go for the 1SC or an IS350.
Old 03-22-07, 08:35 AM
abbeyrd
Pole Position

Would not have purchased if not a convertible.

2006 white/ecru
Old 03-22-07, 03:40 PM
Dan_K
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Agreed. Would be driving around in something else. The best thing I like about this car is the people I have met especially at the NASCAL event.
Old 03-22-07, 11:22 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

I would still have bought it if it cost less as a regular non-convertible coupe. I actually like the looks of it more with the top up, although I do enjoy top down cruising.
I would not have bought it if it were a ragtop convertible though.
Old 03-23-07, 12:30 AM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Robarapta
I would still have bought it if it cost less as a regular non-convertible coupe. I actually like the looks of it more with the top up, although I do enjoy top down cruising.
I would not have bought it if it were a ragtop convertible though.
Mos def not if it were a ragtop. I would have gone the CLK route as I'm a big fan of those esp the W208(1st gen). The hardtop drop feature was the biggest thing that sold me on the SC430. If it were purely a coupe I would have possibly considered the sexy G35. Even though they are more common, I love the exterior design. But guess what guys...... the SC430 is a hardtop convertible and I couldn't ask for more.

alright maybe the SL
Old 03-23-07, 11:32 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that's a tought one. If there was no drop top, I probably wouldn't get it.

I would be only looking for a convertible, regardless if it was a hard top or soft top.

If there weren't any hardtops around, it'd be the latest 3-series fully loaded soft-top.
Old 03-23-07, 01:04 PM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

No, I would not have bought the SC if it were not a hardtop convertible. It's a comfortable and luxurious car, but the whole thing about the SC is that it's a convertible. So, here in the Midwest I can be comfortable in the winter in a quiet, secure coupe, and enjoy a convertible in the summer.

Styling is important to me, too. I like the looks of the SC with the top up and love the looks of the SC with the top down. If the SC were strictly a hardtop, I'd have demanded more, in terms of styling, before I would have considered it.
Old 03-23-07, 04:39 PM
etzel
Driver School Candidate

g37 coupe is starting look like an sc430.
Attached Thumbnails Would you buy a SC if it wasn't a droptop?-08_infiniti_g37_f34_500.jpg  
Old 03-23-07, 06:12 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

No, the only reason I bought one (twice) was because it was a convertible. I would have just stuck with a sedan otherwise because I can't think of another coupe I'd want.

BTW, my '99 SC300 was better-balanced and rode better than my SC430. Not unhappy with the SC430, but the trick top is the major advantage for me.
Old 03-23-07, 06:58 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by etzel
g37 coupe is starting look like an sc430.
Only in this picture. Full pics are posted on FreshAlloy, and it still looks very much like a G35 Coupe. They just took a beautiful design and refined it even more.
Old 03-23-07, 07:13 PM
LexLaw
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by dseag2
Only in this picture. Full pics are posted on FreshAlloy, and it still looks very much like a G35 Coupe. They just took a beautiful design and refined it even more.
Good point, but you have to admit, that pic realy does make a strong case for a resemblance. Never noticed that until seeing that shot.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a SC if it wasn't a droptop?