SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-06, 09:05 AM
Hans Wang
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gokaden
Hi everyone,

I just bought a used '03 SC 430 with 28K miles on it. The car looks and drives great, but it seems everytime I'm at slow speeds parking, when I turn the steering wheel, I hear this metallic clink sound from near the front axel.

The car doesn't seem to do it while I'm turning at higher speeds while driving, just mostly during parking. I'm planning to send the car into the Lexus dealer for a 30K service soon anyway to have this checked out, but I was wondering if any other SC 430 owners experience this out there?

Thanks for any info.
I have got the similar thing when I reverse the car to pull out of parking lot and then drive forward, a clicking sound cab be heard. Lexus dealer said that was from the brake and that's the special feature of a Lexus (^-^).
Old 08-02-06, 06:54 PM
MarsB007
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to take my SC to the dealer no less than 5 times for the same clicking noise. it occurred whenever i was turning the wheel and going in circles (think tall parking garage).

After 5 tries, calling Lexus and threatening to sue for breach of warranty the problem was misteriously solved (corporate rep came down from Lexus to take a look at it). So far it's been a week and no problems, although the previous "fixes" always lasted for about a week..

I'll chime in later as to the "permanency" of this last fix...
Old 08-03-06, 06:26 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

"I had to take my SC to the dealer no less than 5 times for the same clicking noise. it occurred whenever i was turning the wheel and going in circles (think tall parking garage).

After 5 tries, calling Lexus and threatening to sue for breach of warranty the problem was misteriously solved (corporate rep came down from Lexus to take a look at it). So far it's been a week and no problems, although the previous "fixes" always lasted for about a week..

I'll chime in later as to the "permanency" of this last fix..."

Hi Mars,

Thanks for your input. How prevalent was the clicking sound on your car? Mine does it about every other time when I'm turning slowly during parking, and there are usually about 3 to 4 clicks before it stops.

I'll keep an eye out for the permance of the fix.

Thanks!
Old 08-03-06, 08:58 AM
Marc82
Driver School Candidate

Default .....

I had that problem before.... Its the dust around the brakes and the dealer cleaned it for me
Old 08-16-06, 03:29 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Default Update...

After 2 weeks, I've confirmed that the clunking sound during parking is present only when I actuate the brakes.

So, it hopefully is just brake dust, but I'm having the dealer check itout anyway under warranty.

Thanks for all the feedback!
Old 08-16-06, 05:47 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Dust in itself does not make noise. It can impede the brake hardware from working properly which and can result in some noise. Most likely the pads are low or the hardware is loose or worn. Simple 10 minute fix either way.
Old 08-16-06, 07:17 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

If it's the brakes, I bet they're the pads clicking when changing directions. This is perfectly normal, as there's a small gap between the pads and caliper cavity for them. This is very common on all Acuras, and the fix is a messy grease that it's only effective for a few hundred miles. The sound starts when the pads are about worn 1/4 of the way.
If they're your brakes, the clicking should only sound once per caliper when changing directions (4 clicks in rapid succession).
I live with the clicking on my Acura, and plan to live with it when it shows up on my SC. It's definitely quieter in the Lex than Acuras. Good luck.
Old 01-16-07, 05:56 PM
MarsB007
Driver

unfortunately, the noise reappeared...

It seems to happen when I am turning left, and keeping it like that (as in a parking garage going around in circles). The noise was isolated to be related to the left side of the car.

Brake pads had been replaced, so those were not a problem. Additionally, the tires were checked, as well as the rims... all checked out ok.

Lexus rep thought it might be something to do with the bearings from the axle, however, for them to see what was wrong necessitated taking that part apart, and thus ruining what I like to call evidence.

So far, Lexus has been less than helpful on the corporate side, and I have gone through 2 supervisors, and a legal department.

I was waiting for the holidays to be over, and have my firm come back to a semi-normal schedule before I filed a lawsuit. It's amazing how Lexus has declined over the years... I feel there is no longer a difference in the customer service from Lexus and that of MB/BMW... which cannot be said to be a good thing at all.

Here's the kicker... i have 8 months left on my lease. My deal was to turn the car back in, have them eat the cost, and I would have bought a GS450h more than likely. Now, not only will I end the lease when it's over, but i'll sue them, create about 10-15k in legal fees, and end up going with a different brand...

Either way, to help anyone on here out, the clicking noise happens every revolution of the wheel... sounds like a 10 speed bike, click, click, click. I did notice that the car does not do this if cold...

Ohh well... T-8 months
Old 01-16-07, 06:22 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Very odd. All Lexus cars may make a noise during initial braking especially while backing up and stopping. This is normal and does not pose any problems other than annoying. It is an easy fix though. Your description in that your cars goes click click click click like a card in bicycle spokes is strange. There are only a few things to look into. What I would check in order:
1) Anything stuck in the tires like a screw or nail-been there myself
2) Rotor rubbing on anything. This is common as well.
3) Then the bearings as nothing else up front would cause a ,"continuous" click.

Again, that is for a continuous click. If only a few clicks, then that is in the braking or suspension.
Old 03-31-07, 03:32 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

Default Brakes....Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop?

Hello all, I have new brake pads and rotors in the rear and new brake pads in the front of the car, my front rotors are are still in great shape so i did not replace them.

My question is, everytime I come to a complete stop, say from 8mph to
0mph, I can hear a very faint "Ticking", "clicking" noise, seems like its catching something when the brakes are depressed. The noise is sort of like its a dead spot on the rotor/brake pad contact area, and it only makes a noise on a particular section of the rotor/brake pad (within' the circular rotor).
Again, it only happens when the brakes are depressed and coming a stop from 5mph to 0mph. I can only hear it when the windows are closed and quiet inside the cabin.

Anyone know what it might be? shims? etc.....
I don't really know too much about brakes/rotors......
Old 03-31-07, 04:35 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by rclab1
Hello all, I have new brake pads and rotors in the rear and new brake pads in the front of the car, my front rotors are are still in great shape so i did not replace them.

My question is, everytime I come to a complete stop, say from 8mph to
0mph, I can hear a very faint "Ticking", "clicking" noise, seems like its catching something when the brakes are depressed. The noise is sort of like its a dead spot on the rotor/brake pad contact area, and it only makes a noise on a particular section of the rotor/brake pad (within' the circular rotor).
Again, it only happens when the brakes are depressed and coming a stop from 5mph to 0mph. I can only hear it when the windows are closed and quiet inside the cabin.

Anyone know what it might be? shims? etc.....
I don't really know too much about brakes/rotors......
It sounds like the wear indicators but if the pads are new that wouldn't make sense. Did you happen to put on slotted or cross-drilled rotors in the rear when you replaced them. These will make noise when the leading edge of the brake pad catches the slot.
Old 03-31-07, 05:36 PM
rclab1
Pole Position

I do not have slotted or cross drilled rotors, every thing replaced was OEM from factory. Do the Wear indicators make this sort of noise when the brake pads are almost "going" to wear out? I figure or suppose that the wear indicators would "squeak" thus need replacing?

I still do not know what is the cause?
Old 03-31-07, 05:47 PM
DetMich1
Lexus Test Driver

The wear indicator is simply a metal pin that projects out from the pad. When new the pad contacts the rotor preventing the pin from making contact. As the pad wears down the pin eventually reaches the rotor making a characteristic click or sometimes squeal. There is usually a couple of mm of pad left at this point warning you its time to change before you get metal on metal and tear up your rotors.
Old 04-03-07, 11:41 PM
StunnaSC
Pole Position

mines makes the same sounds but only at first, when i drive off i dont hear it no more
Old 04-21-07, 04:51 PM
sexysc
Driver School Candidate

Default clickin noise

hey guys, everytime i brake and come to a complete stop i hear like a clicking and ticking noise coming from the front end. now i only hear the noise when i am coming to complete stop, any ideas of what it could be

Quick Reply: Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?