SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-07, 11:50 PM
bfigard
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

dealer sez this is due to brake pads that are on the small end of their manufacturing tolerance. the pads that come in a bit small tend to move around in the caliper a bit, causing that noise.

I asked them why this was happening after they did my brakes, and they said it was nothing to bother about.

but dammit I paid a premium for the dealer's brake job, shouldn't I demand they make this noise go away?!
Old 04-22-07, 01:01 AM
sexysc
Driver School Candidate

it sounds horrible lol anything else that might cause this?
Old 04-24-07, 12:37 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue with my '03 SC. Everytime I drive slowly and brake, or brake slowly while turning, there's a loud clicking sound from my front wheels.

I asked the dealership to look at it, but they too told me that it's natural to the brakes and there was nothing to fix. I thought that was odd for a $65K Lexus to have...but the brakes work fine so far, and there's no clicking when I brake from higher speeds.
Old 08-02-07, 08:25 AM
bfigard
Rookie

Default front brakes clicking noise

Frickin dealership service! Had them put new front brake pads on and they installed the little retainer clips backwards. If you've ever wondered why you get a loud click when going from FWD to R or vice versa, there is your answer.

Man it's unsettling because it sounds like a gear cracking due to missing tooth.

Why do they get away with a great reputation when they know the least but charge the most? Because of the leather couches, cookies and Oprah in the lobby that's why!
Old 08-02-07, 08:34 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Not sure how they could have installed them backwards but that sound you refer to is very common even if installed properly. Best remedy is to bend (but not too much) the clip to tighten up pads to prevent that clicking sound-of course once everything is where it should be.
Old 08-02-07, 09:01 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

man i can't believe that kind of mistake coming from a DEALERSHIP, sigh...

maybe should tell us what dealership that is, another warning sign
Old 08-02-07, 09:33 AM
bfigard
Rookie

clips can be put in backwards according to Todd at TM Eng

dealership was South Bay Lexus on PCH in Torrance

and this was not the first time they managed to convince me they are lousy.
Old 08-02-07, 12:58 PM
KevsSC
Intermediate

I have gotten used to that Clicking sound. I kinda like it I hope its not hurting the car in anyway.
Old 08-02-07, 01:21 PM
Rare1
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You know my wife's IS has a similar clicking on the front brakes. So this occurs when the clips that hold the pads are in backwards? our dealership said it was a axle boot once, then they said the brake clips needed lubing. i finally gave up and kept an eye on them to see if they hurt the car in any way haven't seen any problems. But I guess I better go fix them. thanks
Old 08-02-07, 04:12 PM
markch
Rookie

Originally Posted by Rare1
You know my wife's IS has a similar clicking on the front brakes. So this occurs when the clips that hold the pads are in backwards? our dealership said it was a axle boot once, then they said the brake clips needed lubing. i finally gave up and kept an eye on them to see if they hurt the car in any way haven't seen any problems. But I guess I better go fix them. thanks
Ummm...maybe its just me, but I would be a little worried if someone suggested lubricating my brakes or clips. Seems counterintuitive to lubricate something that is designed to work by friction. Just my simple mind at work.
Old 08-02-07, 05:05 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the noise you are hearing is pad shift, when the pads shift from front to back, im not convinced you can put the retaining clips in backwards <they only fit one way>. toyota has a great disc brake grease that i use to cure this problem. cleaning and lubing will cure most brake nosies.
Old 08-02-07, 06:03 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 87 Likes on 86 Posts

Correct. The click you hear, if it happens the FIRST time you touch the brake AFTER changing the car's direction forward-reverse or vice versa, and then not again until after the next direction change, is more or less normal on many Toyota-designed vehicles....and some non-Toyotas as well. I have a Subaru Outback with the very same thing....after owning a Celica and an IS300 with it. It is annoying but perfectly OK.
Old 08-02-07, 07:05 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This is the most common complaint across the board for Lexus and Toyota products along with a few others. There is no danger and all of them will do eventually from time to time. As stated above there is play in pads and this causes them to click from time to time while the pads shift.
Bending the clip to increase the friction will reduce or eliminate this but one must be careful as the pads are designed to return back away from the rotor when the brake pedal is released. If the clips are too tight the pad will not return properly causing overheating/glazing and/or premature brake pad/rotor wear.
I put a tad of brake grease on the clips where the pad moves back and forth. This grease serves two purposes : 1) Allow the pad to return more easily and 2) Serves as a cushion to prevent the clicking sound. This grease is made for brake components and is available at your local auto parts store.
The problem is any reoccurring click should be checked out as we're are talking about brakes here and we want to ensure the clicking is not a loose caliper, missing pad pin,etc....

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-11-07 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-21-07, 06:29 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Click click..

When shifting from park to drive, or drive to neutral.. any combo really, I get a clicking noise. Dealer says its normal and coming from the pads. I made a thread here and some said it was normal.

I am curious, does anyone NOT have the click?
Old 09-21-07, 06:55 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't noticed a clicking noise. But I will check when I get in the car tomorrow. You may have already said this, but I will ask again . . . . . what year is your SC? Could you be hearing the brake pads engaging (calipers against the rotors) when you step on the brakes to shift from park to drive?

Quick Reply: Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?