SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-07, 07:29 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its called pad shift, if your car is under warranty have the dealer clean and lube the pads, I do this and use a high temp disc brake grease toyota has. of course it will wear out and come back but it does take awhile if applied correctly
Old 09-21-07, 10:50 PM
SC430Sam
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Are cleaning and lubing the pads part of warranty? What makes this a timely process?
Old 09-21-07, 11:03 PM
ja928
Driver School Candidate

I have a 2002 SC430 and have that clicking noise when applying the brakes in the morning. After the car is warm up the noise disappear. Since the car is still under warranty, I am bringing it in to have to it check out. Will post result later.
Old 09-21-07, 11:32 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by moose66
I haven't noticed a clicking noise. But I will check when I get in the car tomorrow. You may have already said this, but I will ask again . . . . . what year is your SC? Could you be hearing the brake pads engaging (calipers against the rotors) when you step on the brakes to shift from park to drive?
Thanks. Mine's an 04. The thing is, I never take my foot off the brake. Its always engaged when I duplicate this.
Old 09-21-07, 11:33 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shawnjohn9
its called pad shift, if your car is under warranty have the dealer clean and lube the pads, I do this and use a high temp disc brake grease toyota has. of course it will wear out and come back but it does take awhile if applied correctly
Thank you. So the noise is normal then? It doesn't bother me if I know its normal. I just never had any car I own emit that noise and was skeptical when they said it was normal.
Old 09-21-07, 11:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

This has been discussed numerous times on this website. All Lexus vehicles with 2 pc calipers make this noise. It is generally acceptable though not normal if that makes any sense. It can be alleviated or reduced. A search reveals:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...rake+pad+noise

I just installed the OEM brakes back onto my car and ensured the clips are all tight on the caliper and also against the pad. Absolutely no clicks or noise in any direction. Some mechanics are willing to to this, others do not think it is a big deal.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-22-07 at 12:20 AM.
Old 09-22-07, 09:06 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Originally Posted by SC430Sam
Are cleaning and lubing the pads part of warranty? What makes this a timely process?
Yes lexus pays for clean and lube part of 5 yr 50k miles
Old 09-22-07, 09:08 PM
sjpobox
Driver

Originally Posted by Tensi
Thank you. So the noise is normal then? It doesn't bother me if I know its normal. I just never had any car I own emit that noise and was skeptical when they said it was normal.
yeah its normal but the lube will quiet it down for the mean time. I havent heard the pads shift on the newer models since they now use the high temp disc grease from the factory.
Old 09-22-07, 10:16 PM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Really? Then I've learned something new today.

I always thought the new brake shim kit is for pad shift noise, the brake grease is for squeak noise and the warranty coverage is for 4 years or 50,000 miles, whichever occurs first.
Old 09-22-07, 10:30 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Pad shift occurs because the pads move back and forth in the caliper as they ride on the clips. Loose clips =pad shift=click. Grease allows the pads to slide on the clips more easily to prevent abnormal wear-nothing to do with noise though it may dampen it if the clips are loose. Shims are for squeak squeak. Loose or wore caliper retaining bolt can also cause click click on higher mileage cars. This is also greased under the boots. The same for all 2 pc calipers for just about every car made. To add, any loose caliper component can also create a squeal.
To prevent click, tighten up the clips to prevent excess pad looseness and grease with a quality brake lube grease.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 09-22-07 at 10:44 PM.
Old 09-22-07, 10:38 PM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I see I see.
I was reading and learning the wrong info on the Nissan forums.
Old 09-23-07, 12:26 AM
ja928
Driver School Candidate

Brought car into lexus to check on clicking noise when applying brake. According to lexus mechanic clicking noise when braking forward after car has been in reverse or when car was going forward and put into reverse when braking is NORMAL.
Old 09-23-07, 12:41 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by ja928
Brought car into lexus to check on clicking noise when applying brake. According to lexus mechanic clicking noise when braking forward after car has been in reverse or when car was going forward and put into reverse when braking is NORMAL.
And most dealers will tell you the same thing. Three choices, live with it, fit it yourself, or find another mechanic that is willing to fix it.
Old 10-11-07, 08:30 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Default 2 'does yours' questions please.

Dealer swears all is normal and I wanted to get the responses of people here and how their SC is please.

1. Does your car emit a 'clink' noise when gear shifter is changed from reverse and drive?

2. On the initial start up of the day do you sometimes get a 'clunking' noise when making turning? It is significant and easily heard from outside. Sounds like the caliper shifting or almost dropping into place.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-07, 08:46 PM
DivX007
Driver

1. YES, mine make clicking sound every time. I took it to the dealer too. they said it is normal.

2. NO. not happen to me.

Quick Reply: Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?