SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-07, 08:57 PM
ghmundt
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No to both questions on my 2006.
Old 10-11-07, 09:19 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 220 Likes on 148 Posts

No, I haven't experienced either.
Old 10-11-07, 10:27 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

1. the clicking sound, you sure it's not the brake pad shifting?
Old 10-11-07, 10:31 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Search for clunk
Old 10-11-07, 11:04 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rominl
1. the clicking sound, you sure it's not the brake pad shifting?
According to the dealer, that is precisely what it is. Is that normal? It happens all the time, consistently.. so it makes me believe that it is normal. BUT I have yet to hear another car, Lexus in particular, every emit the same noise.
Old 10-11-07, 11:05 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Thanks everyone... look forward to more replies.
Old 10-11-07, 11:10 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Several threads on this subject merged for easier research and locating during searches.

Issues: Brake clunk or front end clunk while slowing, stopping, going forward after backing up,etc..

Many items can cause a clunk ,tick, noise up front. This includes wheels, suspension, brakes, engine mounts, etc...
The most common problem is related to the brake design on almost all Lexus vehicles with 2 piece calipers.

Why does it occur?-FRONT END NOISE

1) Brake pad shift is the common issue. The brake pad sits in the caliper via two clips per pad. 4 per caliper. 8 for the front end. These clips exert a certain amount of force on the pad to keep it in place and also to assist the pad in returning back off the rotor once the brake pedal is released as they are angled. As these clips wear the pad can become loose in the caliper and shift(move too much) while turning or changing from front/reverse motion. There is very little chance of the pads coming out because they are loose.
Solution: The clips can be bent to tighten them up against the brake pad. Not too much as the pad must still move freely back off the rotor. I recommend some good quality brake grease on the clips where the pad rides. Do not apply too much grease or get the grease on the pad surface or rotor. Only where the clip and pad touch. This will fix 99% of the brake clunks out there.

2) Worn brake hardware.
The calipers are 2 pc units which means two pieces are attached to each other which slide upon one another to facilitate the braking. They are attached by 2 caliper pins for each caliper. So 4 total pins per front end. None for the rear which is a 1 pc design.
Higher mileage cars or cars driven hard can wear the brake caliper pin which connects both calipers together. It is just a long bolt that attaches both calipers but can wear and have play over time and even when new at times. The solution is to remove each pin one at a time (14mm head) and grease the pin and reinstall. Same for the other pin.

3) Loose calipers
If the caliper mounting bolts or any bolt is loose or missing then this will certainly cause noise along with a certain safety hazard. Ensure all bolts are tight.

Why does this occur-REAR END BRAKE NOISE
1) Pad shift as described above. There is one clip for both pads per caliper. Bending the clip upon the pad a tad will assist in pad shift but do not bend too much. This clip can easily be installed incorrectly which can also cause noise as well as a safety issue as it can pop out easily if not installed properly. This clip is held in by 2 small pins which are secured to the caliper via 2 very small clips. Make sure all of the hardware is present.

2) Rear parking brake mechanisms. Inside the rear rotor lies the hardware for the parking brake which pushes brake shoes against a small drum locating inside the rotor. Going backwards may cause the brake shoe to clunk initially especially if the shoes are pushed out and riding on the drum. Other than ensure the shoes are in good order, the hardware is in good order, there is little you can do about this other than to adjust the shoes in a bit which will also allow further pedal travel on the parking brake pedal.

If the clicking sounds as if a poker card is stuck in the spokes of your old ten speed and the brakes were recently completed in the rear then the parking brake shoe retaining pin has been bent allowing the shoe to hit the drum on the inside. This occurs very easily when removing the rear rotor for a brake job. The internal shoe can get stuck on the drum and while the rotor/drum unit is pulled off the little pin in the middle holding the parking brake shoe in place gets bent out. The solution is to remove the pin and bend it back into shape.

Utilizing the above I have yet to experience another click in a very long time in any of my 4 Lexus vehicles.

Question: Why doesn't my Lexus mechanic know about this or fix it? Answer: Some do, some don't and some know the cause but are not willing to bend clips which are at no risk of breaking to begin with. It really is a easy fix.

Hope that helps
Lee

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-12-07 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-11-07, 11:41 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Thank you very much for the concise reply. I apologize for being repetitive, I am just very frustrated about all these sounds. My car only has 3,000 miles and it is really taking away from some of the enjoyment of it. I will definitely take your advice and do the clip bending along with some grease. Appreciate the forum help greatly. Thanks again!
Old 10-11-07, 11:54 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Your welcome, I changed my post above for easier reading and less assumption on my part of others mechanical skills. It should be easier to follow.

Last edited by Pearlpower; 10-12-07 at 12:05 AM.
Old 10-15-07, 06:08 AM
JOANNEDZAN
Driver School Candidate

Default Brake Pedal Sticks

Has Anyone Had Their Brake Pedal Stick And Does Not Release Until I Step On The Gas Pedal??? Dealer Has No Idea.
Old 10-15-07, 09:54 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JOANNEDZAN
Has Anyone Had Their Brake Pedal Stick And Does Not Release Until I Step On The Gas Pedal??? Dealer Has No Idea.
Sticks where? To the floor? If that is the case, hmmm, strange one as the gas pedal is electronic-throttle by wire. The two systems do not cross over as far as I know.
The only thing I could think of would be a sticking caliper associated with bad/worn brake caliper hardware. Forward motion releasing or moving the components enough to revert back but that is a little over the top.
Let me ask you, do the brakes themselves stick or just the pedal?
Old 10-17-07, 12:55 AM
Zelds GS30
Driver School Candidate

Where can I find the parking brake shoe retaining pin and retaining clips? Mines where by mechanic when changing the rear brake rotors, just as you described. 1994 GS300
Attached Thumbnails Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?-parking-hardware.jpg  
Old 10-17-07, 10:55 AM
whokiid
Driver

yikes that picture doesnt look too encouraging...
Old 10-17-07, 01:07 PM
Zelds GS30
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by whokiid
yikes that picture doesnt look too encouraging...
Yep I had a horrible squealing noise that would not go away and this is why. When I pulled the rear rotor off this is what I found. Everything was bent to hell. I am in need of some rear brake hardware to fix this. As of right now I have no parking brakes.
Old 10-17-07, 03:57 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Wow, thanks for sharing the picture with everyone. The bent pin is exactly what I was described above, too common and could also be dangerous in case the hardware causes the rotor to lockup.

Quick Reply: Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?