SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 08:17 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, thats really scary to think that a rotor could lock up cause that pin. And to think dealers don't care... not surprising.
Old 10-18-07, 12:21 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Tensi
You know, thats really scary to think that a rotor could lock up cause that pin. And to think dealers don't care... not surprising.
I had an old Dodge Colt many years back where the hardware caused the shoe to jam into the drum. By the time I got off the freeway (at slow speed) and pulled up to the gas station the entire wheel was smoking and the drum was red hot (I was not always smart). Luckily, next door was the fire department which heard the commotion and came over to put it out. Hosed it down for almost 10 minutes. It took me 4 hours to repair the damage in the parking lot. Ahh the good old days of being 19.
Old 10-20-07, 12:43 PM
Zelds GS30
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone know where I can get some parking brake replacement hardware for 1994 GS300 ??
Old 10-21-07, 09:49 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Hi. Does anyone know what this black metal thing behind the rotor is? I am curious cause I lightly tapped it.. and that is what I believe is emitting the noise I am hearing in the morning.

Old 10-21-07, 10:12 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Tensi
Hi. Does anyone know what this black metal thing behind the rotor is? I am curious cause I lightly tapped it.. and that is what I believe is emitting the noise I am hearing in the morning.

That is your brake dust shield. They can cause a lot of squeal if they are touching the rotor. They can easily be bent back though make sure if you push the top the bottom does not bend towards the rotor.
Old 10-21-07, 11:40 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Ahh. got it. Thanks alot! Its weird, I was getting a "clunk" first thing in the morning and of course the dealer couldn't replicate it... while cleaning the wheels I accidentally gave it a push, and replicated the noise. Will definitely check them out tomorrow. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-08, 11:54 AM
az-dave
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The Dealerships charge a LOT of monye, and usually find a "different" "problem" alltogether...then you drive off, and what you took it in there for...is still happeneing.

Thats why Ive done all my own work, and after 10 yrs old my car is still running - good...I just dont trust them at all.

LOL
Old 02-23-08, 05:26 PM
da-bizket
Pole Position

Default Does BBK eliminate all these noises???

Unfortunately, I get all the noises. A loud tick when I first get in the car in the morning, a clunk when after I use the brakes at slow speeds.

Can anyone tell if the BBK (Big Brake Kit) eliminates all these annoying noises?
Old 02-23-08, 06:51 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by da-bizket
Unfortunately, I get all the noises. A loud tick when I first get in the car in the morning, a clunk when after I use the brakes at slow speeds.

Can anyone tell if the BBK (Big Brake Kit) eliminates all these annoying noises?
It would address those noises-yes. Supra front brakes will make a difference in that and performance for sure; something I highly recommended as a first upgrade.
Old 02-24-08, 11:50 AM
da-bizket
Pole Position

Default What do you mean by Supra front brakes?

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
It would address those noises-yes. Supra front brakes will make a difference in that and performance for sure; something I highly recommended as a first upgrade.
Pearlpower,

What do you mean by Supra front brakes?
Old 02-24-08, 11:57 AM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

The best brake value available for this car. They are the front calipers and rotors from a 93-97 Supra Twin Turbo. They are large and require serious high disk wheels to clear but the braking they provide over stock is dramatic. I paid less than $300 the last time around for the entire setup. Most sell them for around $450.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=supra+brakes

Last edited by Pearlpower; 02-24-08 at 12:20 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 12:12 PM
da-bizket
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Pearlpower
They are the front calipers and rotors from a 93-97 Supra Twin Turbo. They are large and require serious high disk wheels to clear but the braking they provide over stock is dramatic.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...t=supra+brakes
Pearlpower,

Do you think the supra calipers will clear my rims? I have about 1 1/4" clearance with my current wheels (20 x 9 +28) in the front. Only 1/2" with the rears (20 x 11 +33).

Also, Where did you get them? (used, junk yard) and how did you get the Lexus logo painted on the supra calipers?

Thanks,
Mark (da-bizket)

Last edited by da-bizket; 02-24-08 at 12:23 PM.
Old 02-24-08, 12:23 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Mark,
I went and measured my wheels vs stock brakes.
I have 1 1/2" clearance from the stock brakes to the wheels spoke.

Figure I had around .25" of clearance when I had my Supra brakes i would say things would be very tight.

Perhaps someone has a template for the Supra TT brakes in the GS forum as this is a very common question.
Lee
Old 03-25-08, 09:34 PM
melissac
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dont have the clicking sound but i do have the squealing when I try to slow down or stop. I have the genuine lexus oem brakes but it still does it so now whats the problem. Someone Help!!
Old 06-17-09, 06:37 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

This thread hasn't been posted to in a while, so hopefully there isn't a newer one I should be using. Recently got my '02 SC430 with 66K miles. My wife noticed some light squealing with the brakes during the test drive. The used car dealer confirmed that one set of brakes needed to be replaced, but the other looked like they had been replaced recently (I forget which - front or back). This was not a Lexus dealer, and I imagine they used the cheapest parts they could get, so first off, please let me know if I should be concerned about whatever parts they bought, as well as anything special about the SC430 that they may not have known when installing them.

Since taking possession of the car, I've noticed a single clunk sound when braking fairly hard and turning sharply right into my driveway. This doesn't really bother me, and I've assumed that it had to do with the brakes or the car downshifting to first.

Stranger is a sound I've noticed a few times when driving with the top down and cornering (in all cases I was turning left). In the most extreme example, I don't remember if I was applying the brake at all during the turn, but I very well may have (I'll pay attention to this going forward). The sound I heard was like a fluttering, and sounded as though I ran over a piece of plastic or the sound of a plastic fan blade coming loose in the engine. I looked in my rear view mirror and saw nothing in the road, so I came to a stop. My first thought was that the plastic spoiler/lip (whatever that's called) under the nose of the car had broken or come loose and was dragging on the pavement, so I looked and reached under there, but it seemed to be solidly connected. I drove off and don't think I noticed the sound again during that particularly drive, but I'm pretty sure I've experienced it, or something similar, again at least two other times.

Quick Reply: Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?