SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-05, 06:27 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?

I need front pads at 48k miles. is this about right?
The dealer said 3mm left that was 1k miles ago.
Have a friend that can install. Went to buy on line
today and found 6 different sets at:

http://www2.lexpartsonline.com/parts...Set&category=N

Don't know what to get.
Advice please.

Thanks
Old 08-29-05, 08:26 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

48,000 miles on front brake pads I think is great. Just get the same EXACT ones you have, "Genuine Lexus Parts".

IMO, I believe those online may be "oem ", not "Genuine Lexus". Cheaper ones will usually produce more dust, more noise, less braking, less miles or even wear longer ... but abrasive on rotors.

Sensei
Old 08-29-05, 10:06 AM
RMR
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nasty Rattle D to R or R to D?

Wonder if you have the nasty brake noise (like a clanking sound) after the first stop from revrese to drive or drive to reverse.

I notice it appears to get worse as the pads wear, has anyone been able to quiet it down? It just sounds crappy. In my SC400, I expereinced the same thing, but never looked into any way of making it less annoying...just changed the pads, but they had boo-koo life left. Seems like an expensive way to remedy this issue.

Anybody figure a way yet? People give you a funny look when it happens.

NICE430
Old 08-29-05, 04:26 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

RMR.
No nasty brake noise.

Where can I get "Genuine Lexus" oem pads for a good price?
Old 08-29-05, 04:59 PM
bt430
Pole Position

At 48K you might want to look at the rotors as well.

bt
Old 08-29-05, 09:43 PM
Joe Peters
Driver

I think i found it.
http://www.lexus-parts.com/partlist....=52&ModelID=45
Is this Genuine Lexus?
Old 08-29-05, 10:04 PM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Yes, of course... as bt430 has suggested. When changing pads you should always re-surface the rotors or replace them if needed.

The "Lexus Genuine Parts" are available thru Lexus/Toyota dealerships... It's only a good price when you get the right parts. Carson Toyota seems to be reputable...

RMR- There 's usually "V" or "W"shaped wire springs on top of the pads. You'll notice a small hole on the edge of brake pads, this is where one end of the spring goes. The other side pushes against the inside of the caliper. This tension keeps the pads off the rotors and eliminates the symptoms you have. Other things to consider, missing end clips or shims can cause pads to rattles loosely. Lexus pads usually come with new shims, there should be 2 on the back of each pad...

Sensei
Old 08-30-05, 12:48 AM
koolaidman
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Choritsu-shi
Yes, of course... as bt430 has suggested. When changing pads you should always re-surface the rotors or replace them if needed.

The "Lexus Genuine Parts" are available thru Lexus/Toyota dealerships... It's only a good price when you get the right parts. Carson Toyota seems to be reputable...

RMR- There 's usually "V" or "W"shaped wire springs on top of the pads. You'll notice a small hole on the edge of brake pads, this is where one end of the spring goes. The other side pushes against the inside of the caliper. This tension keeps the pads off the rotors and eliminates the symptoms you have. Other things to consider, missing end clips or shims can cause pads to rattles loosely. Lexus pads usually come with new shims, there should be 2 on the back of each pad...

Sensei
they do?

my dealership they dont. 25 extra for shim kit
Old 08-30-05, 02:51 AM
Joe Peters
Driver

Thanks for the tip Sensei,
I found these at Carson's L-TunedParts web site
http://www.l-tunedparts.com/product/?id=508

Have any of ya'll used these?
Old 07-26-06, 09:31 AM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Default Clinking sound when turning during parking?

Hi everyone,

I just bought a used '03 SC 430 with 28K miles on it. The car looks and drives great, but it seems everytime I'm at slow speeds parking, when I turn the steering wheel, I hear this metallic clink sound from near the front axel.

The car doesn't seem to do it while I'm turning at higher speeds while driving, just mostly during parking. I'm planning to send the car into the Lexus dealer for a 30K service soon anyway to have this checked out, but I was wondering if any other SC 430 owners experience this out there?

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-26-06, 09:37 AM
tonydt1g3r
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would check to see if your boot is leaking grease on the axle. sounds like a CV joint problem. either that are its your springs?
Old 07-26-06, 03:06 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Tony, he said from the front. CV joints are present only on the rear on our car, and those rarely fail. Front axle CV joints are prone to fail on FWD and AWD cars, but with way more miles than he has.
My guess is crash damage. Did you get a carfax on your car? Or maybe P/O hit a deep pothole and never checked the car.
I'd attempt to get it checked under warranty, and see what happens. Just tell them not to perform any work out of warranty if not authorized by you first. Good luck man.
Old 07-26-06, 05:06 PM
Pearlpower
Lexus Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Welcome to CL and congrats on your very first post.

It could be a variety of things and since the car is not in front of me:

All Lexus's have an issue with strange noises from the front end, especially when parking due to the design of the braking system. Pads wear, hardware wear which creates a ,"loose" braking system and allows movement which translates to clicking sounds or clunking sounds. Very common when backing up and then going forward during parking. It could also be the brake shield-the large steel round shield behind the brake rotor but that would be more of a continual rubbing sound.

or

Could be the tire is rubbing on something while turning

or

Could be a rock ,nail, or screw is in the tire which will give a clicking sound while rotating.

Those are common causes of clicks on these cars. Many other possibilities exist as well.

Again, welcome aboard.
Lee
Old 07-28-06, 12:43 PM
whokiid
Driver

That's strange.

I get this problem as well, except it's not only when I'm parking but also when I make turns out on the street.
Old 07-28-06, 02:00 PM
gokaden
Driver School Candidate

Wow,

Thanks for all the informative answers. I guess this clinking sound isn't too common with the rest of the owners.

Good call to remind me to tell Lexus service to not do any out of warranty work.

The CARFAX record was clean for the vehicle, so I hope it's not due to prior collision damage.

Thanks again for all the great answers! I really enjoy the car!

Quick Reply: Brakes....Clunk/Grinding/clicking/ticking noise when slowing to a stop/turning?