SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What are the closest brand to OEM Brake Pads.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 02:29 PM
Jabberwock

Received 205 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Buggeroff6
I am pretty sure it was an error for NTB shop to have put "semi-ceramic" pads on in the first place. Only when I brought in a video with sound of the noise in my driveway/street (slight downhill really brought out the flatulent/cruise ship horn sounds) did they 'upgrade' to full, which appears to be totally stock quiet now.
It did irk me that one of their younger sales team told me I'd have to pay with oh so generous "pro-rated" price off!! I am not hearing from the list that this was a 'wrong' pad, just probably in spec for a Yaris (which as I understand was made in the same factory as the SC at one point..or do I have an Echo?!).
Bonus: the outer control arms they also replaced may have a snapping sound when I start driving and make a turn. I only hear it when I first start driving (e.g a parking lot turn)...at one point, it sounded like I'd crushed a can driving over it but there wasn't anything in the road behind! Any comments on the physics and dysfunction possibly at play, and how to argue its junk if not mounted improperly? Could it quiet via loosening up over time?
Methinks NTB never lost its NTW technical limitations beyond tire changing...I am a doofus to have gone there, but most other "reasonably priced" shops seemed either too aggressive or do nothings (e.g Town Faire Tire wouldn't even deal with brakes/control arms-told me to "have that other work done then bring it to us for tires and alignment". Sure!!
I'd never let any of the "tire/battery/muffler" shops touch my car - I avoid them like the plague.