SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Installing / Configuring new TPMS (tire pressure sensors)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-07, 08:29 AM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing / Configuring new TPMS (tire pressure sensors)?

Okay, currently I have snow tires on alloy rims with tire pressure sensors installed on my 05 Lexus SC430.

I have summer tires, chrome rims, and purchased 4 more tire pressure sensors that I will be putting on soon.

My question... Do I have to go to Lexus to have this done, or do the tire pressure sensors automatically configure themselves? I know all four of them have to be different colors, and I did that, I bought the set, so I'm all set there. But, is there something Lexus does to configure these sensors, or do they just work?

If the answer is yes, they configure themselves, I guess my next question (to play devil's adovcate) is, how? Goofy example, but, say I pull up real close to another Lexus with TPMS in it, we both turn off our cars and turn it back on, how does each lexus know what TPMS to use if they're wireless and they were never configured?

I can obviously get everything mounted for cheaper somewhere other than Lexus, but I don't want to cause myself more hassle if it's not going to work.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Mark
Old 04-06-07, 09:19 AM
brianley
Driver School Candidate

You have to go to Lexus (or have the programming computer) to get the 2nd set of sensors registered with your vehicle. There is a button in the glovebox to switch between 2 sets of TPMS - each time you swap your summer / winter tires, you'll have to move this selector to tell the car to look for the alternate sensors.
Old 04-06-07, 01:57 PM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

Wow, I never noticed that little button. They definitely do have to program something for the sensors to work with the car though? Because I called them, they want 210 to mount the tires and swap the winters for the summers on my car, which isn't THAT bad, but I called another place and they want 80 bucks. They also claim that lexus doesn't have to do anything tot he TPMS, "they just work." I'm not quite sure that's the case though. Would I end up putting myself through more crap if I go somewhere else? Just take it to lexus?

Last edited by MJMerlina; 04-19-07 at 06:08 AM.
Old 04-06-07, 09:01 PM
brianley
Driver School Candidate

If you were to use the same rims and TPMS and swap the tires, then yes, "they don't have to do anything" to get the sensors to work. But with the 2nd set of sensors, the only way your car is going to know about them is if they register them with it - and the only way to do that is with the plugin computer.

And, unless the tire mounting place knows what they are doing, it is very easy to break a TPMS - the independent garage I used via TireRack did just that the first time they replaced my tires. Which then resulted in a trip to the dealership anyway to get the new one registered with the car.

Unfortunately there are a few service items you need to go to the dealer for - registering a new set or sensors is one of them unless you have access to the computer. And with the supposed battery life of the sensors of like 4 years (read that in one of the threads) those of us with 02-03 models may be visiting the dealer before too long as well.

Alternatively you can just disable them as many others have...
Old 04-13-07, 10:46 AM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

Turns out my father has a very good friend that owns a shop that can do this. I spoke with them, they have the computer to register sensors, but he says he was unaware of the toggle switch to go between the main and secondary set of sensors.

Does anyone know the actual process for installing the 2nd set? Do you toggle the switch first and then just register the 4 new ones? To me that makes the most sense, but I told them I'd find out any information I could. I'm not sure if calling Lexus would help. I don't know that they'd actually tell me the procedure.
Old 04-15-07, 01:13 PM
MJMerlina
Driver School Candidate

any ideas? :/
Old 10-07-07, 05:50 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did this ever get answered? I'm in the early stages of changing wheels/tires and looking at buying new TPMS sensors for the new set. If the car doesn't automatically recognize the new sensor, and I have to go to Lexus, that will add another wrinkle (and expense) to my "project".
Old 10-08-07, 10:48 AM
paul_k
Rookie

Here is the European Lexus TSB for TPWS registration and initialisation.

Guess its similar in the US?

Does seem like a Lexus dealer job only.

Paul
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tyre warning system.pdf (76.3 KB, 988 views)
Old 10-08-07, 11:59 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Hey Paul,
Thanks for this. I was afraid it wasn't going to be as easy as slapping the new monitors on the new wheels/tires and installing. Nothing is that simple anymore! Just an additional step in the process. Thanks again!
Old 10-08-07, 02:26 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My local "Discount Tire" has been very good to me over the years. They did break one of my TPMS sensors once. They replaced it, but could not register it. They have a TPMS tool... but it won't work on Lexus vehicles. They paid for my trip to the dealer to have them registered. I watched my tech do it on the ODB2 tablet PC. My dealer also replaced them one at the time (under warranty) as the batteries died. All 4 have now been replaced.

Answer is... You must go to the dealer, if you don't have the ODB2 Tool and software.
Old 10-09-07, 05:43 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

More good info 1TYTESC. Thanks.
Old 10-10-07, 11:59 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Are the sensors car specific? For instance, if you purchased stock Lexus IS350 wheels for your SC430, would you have to swap out the TPMS sensors from the IS with those which are specific to the SC430? Thanks.
Old 10-10-07, 02:59 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

part numbers are different. you also need them registered to your car in order to use them.