SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Advice On Downpipe, Straightpipe etc..

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-07, 05:28 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice On Downpipe, Straightpipe etc..

Hey guys,

This question is definately a rookie question on here so bear with me. Currently I have the Blitz catback exhaust for my SC.. I am planning to go to Midas(or if you guys know somewhere better in NY) to do a custom job from the catback all the way to the front... I really don't know what you guys recommend, like how big should the pipes be. What is the difference between downpipe and straightpipe or X-Pipe?

My goal is to obviously increase HP(which is miminal, I understand) and to also change the tone of my car.. I want to make it deeper and more muscular sound with changing out the rest of my exhaust system. Will changing out the rest of the stock pipings give me what I want?

I don't mind being louder but NOT where it sound like I have no exhaust on at all and it just stupidly loud..

Thanks guys for helping.

btw, yes I did a search and still a little confused.
Old 04-17-07, 05:57 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well from what I know I would use 2.5 stainless steal pipes from your headers to the cat back. In the most of the Lexus V8's this gives you just enough flow with out too much back pressure.

Now as far as the x pipe or straight pipe go, from what I've heard on out cars it is more efficient to use the X pipes since we have a "V" engine configuration. As the ignition/detonation cycles vary from bank to bank the x pipe allows the "flow" in the exhaust to stay consistent and so equaling better efficiency. ( imagine one bank expels a puff of exhaust then the next bank and so on, the x pipe allows an equilibrium to be made and the air stays consistently flowing.)
From what I remember straight pipes will give you more of a muscle car sound but I think they mentioned that for our modern cars its not as efficient.

Edit: for some more reading material I would look up post by a fellow CL member names Hameed, He has a similar X pipe setup on his v8, or check out http://planetsoarer.com/indexfull.html they have full write-ups on what types of exhausts work better on our v8's.

Last edited by Lexiss_sc430; 04-17-07 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-17-07, 06:33 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks man with your helpful info.. Yeah, I am a total newbie when it comes to modding your exhaust system .. Would Midas be a sufficient place to go? I read people went there and seemed ok..

Thanks again !
Old 04-17-07, 06:48 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I personally think any shop is capable of doing the job... as long as they have a welder..

The thing I would be apprehensive about is the person who is doing it... I know time is money in this day and age so I would either suggest for you to ask around and find a reputable shop in nyc. Or if you don’t get any good recommendation go to the shop where you plan to do the install randomly and observe the guy as he working on another customers car… see if he’s patient, careful, how his welds were…. How straight his pipes where and how evenly their ran.

I personally would go to someone who you know or have been referred to and are confident with. Its not a big deal but you want to have it done right!
Old 04-17-07, 09:07 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Lexiss_sc430
I personally think any shop is capable of doing the job... as long as they have a welder..

The thing I would be apprehensive about is the person who is doing it... I know time is money in this day and age so I would either suggest for you to ask around and find a reputable shop in nyc. Or if you don’t get any good recommendation go to the shop where you plan to do the install randomly and observe the guy as he working on another customers car… see if he’s patient, careful, how his welds were…. How straight his pipes where and how evenly their ran.

I personally would go to someone who you know or have been referred to and are confident with. Its not a big deal but you want to have it done right!
Thanks for the advice.. I needed good info like this.. Have you or do you have plans on doing such mods? Whats your opinion on changing out the stock converters for something like Magnaflow high cat converters? Not quite sure what it does to the sound when you change to an aftermarket one?

Again, thanks for the tip !!
Old 04-17-07, 09:43 PM
Lexiss_sc430
Lexus Champion

I actually do plan on doing this mod. The route I am going to take will have me replacing the headers also, since they truly is the key to unlocking the ponies. I plan on running 2.5 inch piping from the headers back and I think (still researching) I will go with the x pipe configuration. Then to the back where I am still debating what to do about the lil pinch in the original piping under the rear axel. I am debating weather or not to just run a regular pipe thru and say the hell with it to the clearance issues. Lastly to the back were I will have to think of what type of muffler I will use.

Personally I have used magnaflow mufflers on a few of my cars and I really like the sound it provides, the only reason I went with magnaflow originally was while researching between flowmasters and magnaflows I realized that the flow masters mufflers were meant for the muscle car/ american V8 which give off a different tone/drone then a Japanese car. I chose the magnaflows due to their construction, quality, fit and finish. Over all having installed magnaflows on my old sc, my friends gs and ls I love the sound it gives to the lexus V8’s.
So in retrospect I personally see no difference in the brand name exhausts… now they probably have more R & D invested in them, resulting in a few more ponies or a sharper tone but in my opinion that’s about it. As long as I’m able to source a magnaflow muffler that fits our application well enough I will most probably go with that. Now since our cars have a Porsche/mid engine type rear muffler configuration we might have to do some custom work to make the magnaflows fit. If I see that none of the generic magnaflow mufflers satisfy my expectations I might just end up buying a custom brand name rear section. We will just have to wait and see what happens I guess.

Hope this helps!!
Old 04-21-07, 05:37 PM
Rising_Sun
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

PM Gsoup. He has a guy that welds custom Magnaflow exhausts in NY. His work and prices are much better than Midas.
Old 04-25-07, 03:24 PM
D-MAN63
Lexus Champion

Thanks for the advice Rising Sun and thanks for everyone who responded, been a great help!