SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

front speakers damaged, are alpinesps 69c3 ok instead?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-07, 06:34 PM
adi
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default front speakers damaged, are alpinesps 69c3 ok instead?

Hi, I recently bought a used 02 model and the car is great(even with the runflats, can't wait to change them though). The 2 large speakers (6x9 in.) in the bottom of the doors are damaged. Today I will try to put silicone but it's a long shot because are separated in many places. My question is : in case is not going to work I purchased 2 alpine sps 69c3 speakers. Do you think is a good idea ? I don't want to ruin this nice system inserting something inapropriate. Thank you for your opinions.
Old 05-19-07, 03:56 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

Default Damaged speaker?

How did you handle replacing the bad speakers? I have a 2002 SC and the right front door speaker is blown. Did you replace with OEM or aftermarket speakers? Any issues?
Old 05-21-07, 07:37 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

I went to a local audio store today to verify if aftermarket 6x9 speakers (Infinity, Polk, etc) could be placed in the doors. The tech informed me that I would have to replace with OEM factory speakers or exchange everything except the head unit (i.e. amp and all speakers). Does anyone know where I can locate good used OEM factory speakers?
Old 05-29-07, 12:43 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dawk1
I went to a local audio store today to verify if aftermarket 6x9 speakers (Infinity, Polk, etc) could be placed in the doors. The tech informed me that I would have to replace with OEM factory speakers or exchange everything except the head unit (i.e. amp and all speakers). Does anyone know where I can locate good used OEM factory speakers?
DON'T put OEM back in the doors. The case is the same with all the "so called" highend factory systems. The headunits and amps are usually great but the speakers are total garbage. The ML system uses 8 ohm speakers in order to obtain a better sound quality than a 4 ohm system. I am in the process of replacing all the speakers using 8 ohm home/car audio quality units. The only exception is the rear sub. I am going with a second MA Audio amp to a 4 ohm 8" sub to get a little more punch in the base. The only real issue is the 6x9 door woofers which are almost impossible to find in 8 ohm. I will be installing a conversion plate to a 6.5" round mid/woofer which should make upgrading easier. The door mid is 2.7" and the rears are full range 4.5". Check out Parts Express for a huge sulection of speakers. Let me know if you need any additional info about specs. I have the wiring diagrams and specs for the ML system

Cheers
Old 05-29-07, 06:41 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

I posted a question under 'Security, Audio, etc' at the bottom of the home page. This is the response I got for the 6x9's:

From more research it seems the 6x9 is an 8ohm model in your car--

The Tang Band 6x9 sub should be a perfect match--

This seller has a pair and I'd go for those-- Although you may want to inquire with him about the neo-motor shallow mount version he has available with a 3" voice coil--

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tang-Band-6x9-Su...QQcmdZViewItem

I am trying to verify if they will be a direct fit. Let me know how it goes.
Old 05-29-07, 08:17 PM
ZGone
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I looked at the TB 6x9" but the only one that comes in 8 ohm has a mounting depth of over 4" which is to deep for the door. The window would hit the speaker when it is rolled down. The one that was on Ebay was a 4 ohm one that would fit but would not be compatable with the stock amp.

Cheers
Old 06-07-07, 08:04 PM
Dawk1
Driver School Candidate

I have been umsuccessful in locating new speakers. You mentioned that you had the wiring diagram for the ML system. Can you send it to me? Have you upgraded your system?