SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Platinum Warranty from Lexus

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-07, 01:45 PM
NMLexus
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Platinum Warranty from Lexus

I recently bought an 02 SC430 with 49K miles, all services are done but I am thinking about getting a Platinum warranty from Lexus.

Has anyone gotten one for their used Lexus? If so, how much and what are the terms?

Is it worth the money?

Thanks!
Old 05-12-07, 03:06 PM
stw
Rookie

i just purcahsed a 02 certified sc430 with 34k, and i upgraded to a 5year 125k warranty for $1750 it says certified platinum warranty, but i don't think i can transfer it?? i haven't used it yet, so i don't know if it's worth the $$$.
Old 05-13-07, 09:33 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Short Answer: Yes! Long Answer: YEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSS

I bought one about a year ago on my 2002 with only 28k miles on it. It was about $1750 as well, and lasts until 2012 or 125k miles whichever comes first. I had a power window regulator go out and the belt tensioner go out, all after the factory was up. These repairs ALONE paid for the cost of the warranty, in addition to the great value added service I get from the great people at Sewell. It's well worth the money. Imagine if the top motor went out or the transmission or the a/c...all very costly repairs. On a Honda Accord, or even ES/RX, I would pass. On a SC, although they are VERY dependable, I think this is money well spent. Just my opinion from a guy who bought one and got his moneys worth.
Old 05-15-07, 02:23 PM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm. I turned this down when I bought my 02 Certified SC. Is it something you can buy after the initial purchase, while the car's still under warranty?
Old 05-16-07, 07:47 AM
stw
Rookie

i don't think they will allow it once you take delivery, but i'm sure there re aftermarket ones that you can get before the original waranty expires
Old 05-16-07, 01:18 PM
MBoom
Driver School Candidate

No biggie. I seldom keep cars that long anyway, but I was kind of curious. While there are always those who benefit from extended warranties the truth is that they're marked up substantially by dealers and most of the time the car owner loses, with the cost of the warranty far outweighing any repairs that are completed under the warranty.
Old 06-05-07, 09:47 AM
NMLexus
Rookie

Does anyone know if the Lexus Platinum Warranty covers cosmetic issues such as the seats? What about the TPMS?

Thanks!
Old 12-06-07, 06:38 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm also curious and interested in purchasing an extended warranty on my '03 w/ 60k miles.

I have a call into one of my local dealerships, Magnussen Lexus, and waiting for a quote from the financial office.

thanks...teeman3
Old 12-08-07, 06:47 PM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

the dealership wanted 3 years/36,000 (whichever comes first) for $3650.
this is the platinum warranty. ouch.....

since this car has very little issues w/ it, I'm gonna pass on this extended warranty and enjoy the car for as long as I can.
Old 12-08-07, 10:02 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Negotiate...that's REALLY HIGH!!!

I got mine for $1850. I have a 2002 and it was still within factory warranty by like one week and it cost me 1850 for the best one, I think it is 3 year 100,000 miles. Negotiate with your sales person. If they won't wiggle (they get paid commission on this just like a vehicle sale), talk to the finance person or the person who sells the warranty. It has MORE than paid for itself...I had to replace motor mounts, two ML speakers and the control arm. My estimation is that the warranty has been about plus $2k for me. On the other hand, I'm sure there are stories that people have never needed it. Just remember, although our SC's are very dependable in general, they have a LOT that can go wrong, a lot of electronic equipment. For instance, in my 1995 SC400 I had a power window regulator go out and the CD changer needed to be replaced (skipping) and both of these set me back about $2k combined. I learned my lesson from that. The more options, the more complex the car, the more can go wrong.
Old 12-12-07, 02:39 PM
KSUFlasher
Rookie

I think the warranty is well worth it. Not everybody will 'benefit' from it, like any kind of insurance. But I believe it's much better to be with than without - for those 'just in case' time that do seem to happen.
Old 12-13-07, 07:04 AM
Mjr Minor
Driver School Candidate

scdroptop You are correct. My name is Timothy Minor and I am a sales Consultant for Sewell Lexus New and Preowned and We do carry those warranties for the Certified and Non Certified. I am also a consumer of a Lexus GX and I was very fortunate that I bought a small warranty on mine, a 3k job had to be completed. I used to be a technician here and I know these cars are very, very dependible but there are things that do break. These are man made and anything will break on any vehicle some manufacturers more than ours.

Feel Free to call if you have any questions. 214-353-2115

Tim Minor
Old 12-13-07, 07:36 AM
Sewell
Parts Vendor

Originally Posted by Mjr Minor
scdroptop You are correct. My name is Timothy Minor and I am a sales Consultant for Sewell Lexus New and Preowned and We do carry those warranties for the Certified and Non Certified. I am also a consumer of a Lexus GX and I was very fortunate that I bought a small warranty on mine, a 3k job had to be completed. I used to be a technician here and I know these cars are very, very dependible but there are things that do break. These are man made and anything will break on any vehicle some manufacturers more than ours.

Feel Free to call if you have any questions. 214-353-2115

Tim Minor
Mr. Minor,
Do you not have something else to be doing right now!?
Old 12-13-07, 07:38 AM
Mjr Minor
Driver School Candidate

Yeah I am sending out Holiday Cards and Thank you cards.
Old 12-13-07, 09:41 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

The warranty is well worth having in my opinion. For example, one of the struts associated with the retractable top assembly costs $2800 to replace. That occurred on my `02 SC430 after 2 years of ownership and less than 15K miles of driving.

Quick Reply: Platinum Warranty from Lexus