SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Buy now or wait...That's the Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-07 | 10:27 AM
Collins
Driver School Candidate

Default Buy now or wait...That's the Question

I am in the market to purchase a new SC430 and with all the news about the re-design I'm wondering if I should wait for the new design. If I buy now, will I get a better deal on the car and what if any depreciation can we expect when the new design arrives? These are some of the questions that have slowed my purchase. Any ideas or thoughts on this out there? Thanks
Old 05-22-07 | 10:31 AM
TXGS
Driver

Only if you want to wait until 2010 or 2011 according to my sales guy here in Houston.
Old 05-22-07 | 10:50 AM
Collins
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TXGS
Only if you want to wait until 2010 or 2011 according to my sales guy here in Houston.
I agree there has been a lot of speculation surrounding the arrival to market. I've heard mid 08 or 09 and some dates related to this forum. Waiting until 2010 will be hard to do. I have spoke with several dealers and they refuse to acknowledge any info about it....They want your money now! There is also the price increase to consider...along with a possible flooded market of older SC's trading up to the new one...This making my head hurt...
Old 05-22-07 | 11:41 AM
TXGS
Driver

I though those dates were for the high priced LFS sports car. I understand that it will not replace the SC430.
Old 05-22-07 | 11:44 AM
TXGS
Driver

That's LFA not LFS. The a and s are too close together on my keyboard.
Old 05-22-07 | 12:15 PM
TWQ83
Rookie

Originally Posted by Collins
I agree there has been a lot of speculation surrounding the arrival to market. I've heard mid 08 or 09 and some dates related to this forum. Waiting until 2010 will be hard to do. I have spoke with several dealers and they refuse to acknowledge any info about it....They want your money now! There is also the price increase to consider...along with a possible flooded market of older SC's trading up to the new one...This making my head hurt...
Collins,

This is the latest most dependable word from the Lexus orginization ......... "Ummmmmmm I don't know ........." Actually that is what they said ...... and then when I pressed them more .......... they relinquished the fact the "...............the SC is NOT going to have a major overhaul next year or the year after!!! " You've heard it here first!!!!!! NO major changes, engine might get bigger, maybe some minor interior or exterior changes ...... but nothing major.

So Collins............. If I were you, and had the funds are in order, I'de go out and Lease a SC430 for 3 years, then decide after 2 1/2 years to trade her in on something new or buy out the residual value on the one you have had for the last 3 years.......... That should satisify both now and later.........

What do you think ??????

ALSO: the LF-A is SUPPOSE to be delivered in MY2010, BUT, that can change at anytime without warning............

Last edited by TWQ83; 05-22-07 at 12:17 PM. Reason: addition
Old 05-22-07 | 12:54 PM
Collins
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by TWQ83
Collins,

This is the latest most dependable word from the Lexus orginization ......... "Ummmmmmm I don't know ........." Actually that is what they said ...... and then when I pressed them more .......... they relinquished the fact the "...............the SC is NOT going to have a major overhaul next year or the year after!!! " You've heard it here first!!!!!! NO major changes, engine might get bigger, maybe some minor interior or exterior changes ...... but nothing major.

So Collins............. If I were you, and had the funds are in order, I'de go out and Lease a SC430 for 3 years, then decide after 2 1/2 years to trade her in on something new or buy out the residual value on the one you have had for the last 3 years.......... That should satisify both now and later.........

What do you think ??????

ALSO: the LF-A is SUPPOSE to be delivered in MY2010, BUT, that can change at anytime without warning............

I appreciate all the info guys and this does give me the urge to move on this car. I'm not much of a lease guy and have always purchased my cars. I will propably do the same here and I'm not waiting any longer. Like you said I can always trade up in the future. The first thing I'm going to do is get rid of those lousy runflats and rims!!! How in the world can a car of this class have that ugly of rims! How easy could it have been to put the GS wheels on the car which I have thought of having them change as part of the purchase.
I guess I best get over to the wheels threads and start doing my research.
Old 05-22-07 | 01:15 PM
karmann
Rookie

One thing not mentioned is that the new model might even be to your liking. Like when the original Mustangs were changed they were never as good as the original. I have owned both the SC 400 which I did not enjoy and the 430 which is more my taste, not necessarily a better car though, just different.

Regarding the GS rims I am running GS 300 17" rims and they give a nice scale to the car to my eyes and the ride is never jarring. The run flats were so jarring they would scare my passenger.
Old 05-22-07 | 01:34 PM
Collins
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by karmann
One thing not mentioned is that the new model might even be to your liking. Like when the original Mustangs were changed they were never as good as the original. I have owned both the SC 400 which I did not enjoy and the 430 which is more my taste, not necessarily a better car though, just different.

Regarding the GS rims I am running GS 300 17" rims and they give a nice scale to the car to my eyes and the ride is never jarring. The run flats were so jarring they would scare my passenger.
That makes a very good point. Newer may not mean better or may not be your taste. I agree. Do you have a pic or thread where I can see the GS wheels on the SC?
Old 05-22-07 | 02:12 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Collins
. . . Do you have a pic or thread where I can see the GS wheels on the SC?
Old 05-23-07 | 06:11 AM
Collins
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Robarapta
Wow..I think that looks so much better that stock. I may try this approach and see what the dealer will do as a possible exchange for the stock wheels. I'm sure they will want something for the exchange/mounting etc. If they will throw in the exchange then I will take them but if not my plan is to buy new rims and tires anyway. I have been following this forum for several years waiting for the moment I could purchase this fabulous automobile although its really for my wife. I believe we are going with the white and camel. Anyone have this color and enterior combo. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated and welcomed. Thanks for the great pic!
Old 05-23-07 | 10:10 AM
martini3
Lexus Test Driver

collins,

white seems to be the most popular color of choice here. nice choice.
you guys are going to love the top down when it's not raining.

post pics whenever you get the ride.
Old 05-23-07 | 04:32 PM
GEE-BEE
Pole Position

Cool 2006 SC430 with Lexus ISP wheels

I purchased a set of lexus ISP wheels from Carson for 200.00 each

They look great, will be trading in this SC in sept.

Email me if you want a pic
N77GB@msn.com
Old 05-25-07 | 01:23 PM
karmann
Rookie

Default 17" GS 300 wheels

The only photo I have of my 05 is with my phone camera so I apologize for the quality. I am possibly biased but these 17" wheels give the car a nice balance and dont look small. I am running 225 x 50 series tire. I know this goes against the current style but I dont like the look of low profile tires and the 50 series gives a great ride and are less likely to sustain road injury, important to me as I dont have a spare and I drive the car everywhere. Tire height is still the same as well as offset.

As far as color goes buy what you like. I really love the classic look of the champagne color. It isnt the showiest though but it also doesnt show the dirt. Persons in the forum belittle this color but I notice that in most of the shots of the car from Lexus this is the color used.
Attached Thumbnails Buy now or wait...That's the Question-picture-008-2-.jpg  
Old 05-25-07 | 05:25 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by karmann
The only photo I have of my 05 is with my phone camera so I apologize for the quality. I am possibly biased but these 17" wheels give the car a nice balance and dont look small. I am running 225 x 50 series tire. I know this goes against the current style but I dont like the look of low profile tires and the 50 series gives a great ride and are less likely to sustain road injury, important to me as I dont have a spare and I drive the car everywhere. Tire height is still the same as well as offset.

As far as color goes buy what you like. I really love the classic look of the champagne color. It isnt the showiest though but it also doesnt show the dirt. Persons in the forum belittle this color but I notice that in most of the shots of the car from Lexus this is the color used.

I though it is the silver sc that Lexus uses for commercial the most.
I am not aware of the fact that members belittle champagne color here.
It may not be my first choice of color, but I don't hate it at all.

Those 17" wheels do look a little small to me.
It is your car, so you can do whatever setup that fits your need.

I also have a pic that was taken by me at Taste of Lexus last year.
The color is similar to yours and these 18" OEM wheels look nicer than the GS 17" and 18"s, imho.

Last edited by talwang; 05-25-07 at 05:34 PM.

Quick Reply: Buy now or wait...That's the Question