New guy here...about to make a purchase...have some questions

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-07, 06:01 AM
tabasco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default New guy here...about to make a purchase...have some questions

Hi All

My wife and I have been testing and researching cars for months and am highly interested in a new SC. We test drove a Sapphire Black with Ecru yesterday and fell in love with the ride. We had just left a Mercedes dealer and drove an SL. Although the SL has lots of gadgets and was certainly nice, at $108K it cannot compare to the quality and value of the SC.

I was able to negotiate with the Lexus Dealer the replacement of the run flats with new Michilen Pilot PS2 tires and a donut spare. I have had my problems with run flats and refuse to have another.

While at the Lexus dealership we found out about the Pebble Beach edition. I found it on the Internet and it is definitely a nice car. Is it still available?

Are there any issues with the SC? I see some have complained about comfort. During our 20 minute test, I had to find a comfort setting, but once found I did not seem to have any issues.

Back in 2000 we purchased a LX470 that I definitely had comfort issues with. I ended up hating that truck and sold it within 6 months.

Thanks for any information you can provide, we will be making our choice real soon.

Last edited by tabasco; 06-10-07 at 06:02 AM. Reason: Notification
Old 06-10-07, 07:04 AM
lugnuts
Pit Crew

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Tabasco,, I'm also a new owner of the SC,, an '04 we picked up couple months ago. We're experienced with Lexus, having a '98 LS 400. The '04 SC is far more a piece of work then our old '98,, and a pleasure on the road "WITHOUT THE RUNFLATS"!!!

We're not the types to push the car hard through corners, however, will get on it from time to time. Plenty of power, and most comfortable on the highway. Did have an old '85, SL 380, that we got rid of for the SC,, as the wife wanted a "push button" top. It is excellent. Believe you will love it.
Old 06-10-07, 08:22 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

The SC430 is always known to be one of the best quality & most reliable car ever build, I've not heard of any serious issues with the car, all you need is get rid of the runflats. It's not really a sports car but an excellent luxury cruiser. As for comfort, all that matters is whether you find it comfortable in the car. Obviously a 2-door car which is practically a 2-seater with limited space will not be comfortable for everyone, depending on size.

As for the 2007 Pebble Beach Special Edition, can't the dealers tell you whether it's still available ?
Personally though, I am not fond of this year's Pebble beach edition, I don't like the all-red leather & carpet of the interior, I wish they make it 2-tone.
Old 06-10-07, 12:06 PM
tabasco
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks "lugnuts" and "Robarapta". I did not know the carpet is red. That might be a little much. We want the car for nice weekend runs to the beach or mountains, so it is nice that it is more luxury than sport.

I will check with the dealer on Monday about the PBE.

We sure liked our test drive, now it is just a matter of color selection and hopefully a nice dealer transaction.

I am the proud owner of an Acura NSX and know all about 2 seat sport cars. I drove the NSX 1200 miles from Ft Lauderdale to the D.C. area in 2 days, when we purchased it new. Although my butt was about 6 inches off the ground and the seats are true sport seats, I enjoyed every second.

Old 06-10-07, 12:53 PM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 225 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by tabasco
Thanks "lugnuts" and "Robarapta". I did not know the carpet is red. That might be a little much.
The carpet is red, but it comes with black mat. I wish they had use all black carpets, plus a red & black 2-tone leather on the seats & doors though :

MORE pics of the 2007 PB Edition: CLICK HERE
Old 06-10-07, 01:01 PM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Tabasco,

Nice to see another "local" (I'm also in the DC area, on the Virginia side).

When we were shopping for our "perfect" car, I SERIOUSLY considered an older NSX. I've always loved that car!

But, for our price range (unlike some people on this board, money IS an object in our household) it was a choice between a late 90's NSX and an '03 or '04 SC430.

Our decision was a little different than many here; this is my only car. It's my daily driver to work, it's my weekend car, it's our grocery getter and, when the wife and I go on long trips, this is the car we take. So, comfort, storage space, and the peace-of-mind we get with a Certified Pre-Owned car really pushed us over the edge.

I've had my Black/Ecru '03 SC for about 7 months and have yet to have one single regret. The car has the RFT's which do ride somewhat harsh. But, we need the trunk space so, I'm not really sure which way I'm going to go when these wear out. I'm leaning towards getting non-RFT's and running without a spare (I have the Conti-kit).

For short trips, long drives and even sitting in DC traffic at 8am, it's an absolute joy!

My wife's parents live about 3 hours away; my parents live about 6 hours away. The SC makes those trips so easy.