SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Car Psychologists Needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-07, 06:59 AM
downscale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Psychologists Needed

The multi-month agony of my convertible buying decision continues. But isn't that half the fun? Look, if I could go to a car psychologist to sort thru my issues, I would. But you're all I've got. So....

I'm in northern CT. I don't THINK I can drive a 430 as my main car in snow and ice (or can I? If I switch tires?). So I'm going to have to keep another car (probably mom's old 2004 Camry). And I'm single and unpretentious (having until recently been quite poor, driving a 92 Protege with no hubcaps), so two cars in the driveway is a bit much for me. And that's a LOT of money tied up in cars...I can afford it, but it's just way overbalanced for my lifestyle (I know it's not that way for most of you guys, but, hey, this thread is about me!). It'd also be a bit much for the neighborhood, where I'm new and want to fit in and not be the obnoxious rich dude.

But since I really want a convertible, a two car solution seems inevitable.

But then I thought...why do I want a convertible? Summertime fun! I want a funky, fun convertible that makes me smile to drive. A caprice, with lively personality. And I passed a few VW Beetle convertibles, and they just looked like SO MUCH FUN. Yes, they're underpowered, yes, they lack the hard top. Yes, everything breaks or falls off with alarming consistency. But, hey, it's a convertible......I wouldn't mind a loveable nemesis. And it'd be a lot less obnoxious (and expensive) parked next to the Camry.

But the VW is a chick car. I'm afraid people will point at me and smirk at the dude in the chick car. Plus, while I wouldn't sweat a door handle breaking off here or a transmission falling out there, breakdowns while I'm actually trying to get somewhere important are a drag. The poor rear visibility worries me. And, finally, getting a Bug convertible would make the bland Camry feel much more like my main "real" car, and that's a little depressing. I prefer viewing the Camry as a sensible substitute to the Lexus.

FWIW I wouldn't even consider the cloying Mini convertible or the blah VW Eos.

Can anyone talk me through this?

Last edited by downscale; 06-23-07 at 07:03 AM. Reason: added another positive about the Beetle
Old 06-23-07, 08:53 AM
LeslieRC
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are always going to be reasons against buying any car that is above "basic automobile." Beyond basic, it becomes questions of passion, fun, and affordability.

The SC is a magnificent car. Aside from being slightly underpowered versus its closest competitors, it matches or exceeds its cometitors in almost evry other category. I did not drive either of my SC430s in the snow, but they are driveable in those conditions.

Bottom line - you either want this car or you don't. That's to say, it's your decision. My advice, if you're interested in the SC430, is to research the car, test drive it, compare it with other cars you're considering, and make a decision. Most of us started with little or nothing; riding mass transit or driving "beaters" and wishing for that mythical "one-day." If you now can afford an SC430, why care what others may think about what's parked in your driveway? To put it bluntly, you've earned it!
Old 06-23-07, 10:20 AM
ElitistK
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have to admit, the SC430 is a very tricky car. You either get the car, or you don't. I know a lot of people that likes every other Lexus except for the 2sc, or people who only like the 2sc but doesn't like other lexus in the line.

At first, I did not get that car either. with the awful stock rims and the stock ride height, i thought it looked very funny. But after seeing the aftermarket for the car, I immediately fell in love with it. Also to know that it's a hardtop convertible, that just makes the car even hotter.

2sc is a bargain when you compare it with the mb SL. There isn't another car that can surpass the 2sc within that price range.
Old 06-23-07, 10:51 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by ElitistK
I have to admit, the SC430 is a very tricky car. You either get the car, or you don't. I know a lot of people that likes every other Lexus except for the 2sc, or people who only like the 2sc but doesn't like other lexus in the line.
I was one of the latter back in late 2002 when I bought my SC. I have no interest in any other Lexus models except the SC430 ( although I highly respect the LS430). I wasn't until the 2IS & later the LS460 came out that I have strong interest in other Lexus models.

Originally Posted by ElitistK
2sc is a bargain when you compare it with the mb SL. There isn't another car that can surpass the 2sc within that price range.
I agree with the latter statement, but it's a stronger case to go for the SL550 now than before if it's affordable, since it has been extensively upgraded from SL500 to SL550, but in the same period(2003-2007), no significant upgrades made to the SC430, maybe with the possible exception of the 6-speed auto tranny since 2006MY.
Old 06-23-07, 12:36 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by downscale
But then I thought...why do I want a convertible? Summertime fun! I want a funky, fun convertible that makes me smile to drive. A caprice, with lively personality. ?
This is the part you need to analyze more -- what do you want from this car. Cars have very different personalities. You hit the nail on the head that a VW Beetle is a chick car. I'd be embarrassed to own one.

And yes, there is a certain pretentiousness with driving a SC430. It is a very expensive car. It is going to be off-putting to some people. I actually find it a little embarrassing, but can't worry about what other people think.

Do you need a back seat? If so, less pretentious is the VW Eros, which as a new model is pretty funky and fun. Yet, it is not nearly as smooth or refined as the SC430.

Do you just need two seats? The love I got from strangers who saw my Audi TT Roadster was amazing. Probably because the car is low-volume and not oft seen. There is just something friendly about that car.

I think LeslieRC is right -- you have to get comfortable about what YOU feel about the car. As I was considering a different car instead of the SC430, my best friend put it in perspective for me: "How are you going to feel when you are driving that other car and a SC430 drives by?"

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 06-23-07 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-23-07, 03:36 PM
downscale
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, all.

The Audi TT Roadster looks nice, maybe a bit over-primped in the styling (2006 has a more simple line...maybe I need to find a used one). I wonder how it does on ice/snow. If I could get away with just one car, that'd be awesome...

Oops...soft top. Not a winter car. Doh!

I'm ok with two seats (though, come to think of it, that's a reason to keep the Camry in reserve....if I need to carry lots of people and/or baggage).

The Eros just seems blah to me.

Last edited by downscale; 06-23-07 at 03:46 PM.
Old 06-26-07, 07:06 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Whether or not you can/should drive the SC430 in the winter depends on what roads you regularly have to travel. I've lived in upstate New York all my life (so far) and, for most of it, I lived in urban areas where the roads were plowed early and regularly. I've had a few rear-wheel drive cars (Volvo P1800, Fiat 124 Spyder, Datsun 240Z) and simply stuck some snows on them for the winter.

Although I haven't moved much more than 10 miles from any of the places I've lived, my current house is on a hill in what some might call the boonies. There is no way I will drive my SC in the winter while I'm living here, snows or no snows.

As far as the psychological aspects of your self-others-auto relationships, I'll leave that to the experts. Virtually all my education in psychology involved Norwegian albino rats.