SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

my windshield cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-07, 11:06 AM
StunnaSC
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it just me or do you think the hard comes down pretty hard upon closing?
Old 10-16-07, 06:19 PM
margaux01
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It also happened to me this morning. I was about 200 miles out of San Francisco on I5N heading over to Vancouver for a family get together. A light shower was falling most of the way but it was not a problem. I got off the freeway for a break and as I pulled up to a Burger King, I heard a loud noise and then saw a crack spreading out from the edge of the shield on the driver side. It grew to about 5 inches long within a few seconds . (It's now more than 8 inches). The car was barely moving then and I don't think it was caused by any rock chips or debris. It seems to have cracked on its own, unprovoked . Called Lexus and was advised to bring the car in for repair ASAP. I really looked forward to this trip up to Vancouver but did not want to take the risks, especially that the weather up there is quite unsettled, so NO GO and headed back home .Dealership quoted $1,400 for putting in a new shield, will argue that it should be under warranty. I am now a believer that the windshield is an issue with this car.
Old 10-16-07, 06:23 PM
delirium
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got one too, its a big crack from the middle that goes toward the driver side. However it was caused by a rock chip... the crack formed & spread after i put the top down, prior to that it was just a little chip, so im guesssing that since the structure of the car flexes much more with the top down, it caused the chip to become a big crack...

How much are these windshields to replace?
Old 10-17-07, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 190 Likes on 148 Posts

if they can't prove it's caused by a rock, then it's warranty item. and it's not hard to see if it's caused by a rock

factory windshield is very expensive, maybe around 1000 just for the glass itself

aftermarket is much cheaper, look at threads by pearlpower
Old 10-17-07, 10:01 AM
margaux01
Driver

Thanks Rominl for the info. Bringing in the car to the dealership tomorrow morning. I'm quite sure that it was not caused by a rock chip or road debris. Let's see if the Lexus people is reasonable and replace it under warranty. Will let you guys know. Now I am second guessing myself if I should have pushed on to Vancouver now that the crack seems to have stop getting longer. Still very disappointed about not being able to make the trip
Old 10-17-07, 11:57 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

it happened to us before, the car was in the parking lot not moving and when my wife got off work, a big crack. brought it to dealership, they looked along the crack and didn't see any rock chip dot. that's the proof that it's not caused by you
Old 10-18-07, 06:41 PM
margaux01
Driver

Took the car in to the dealership this morning. The first response I got from the service rep was that warranty never covers windshield, period. So I took out my copy of the warranty and asked him to show me where it says so. It was then escalated to the Service Manager who came out, took a ball point pen and ran it along the crack and declared that it was a stress fracture, and would be replaced under warranty. The service rep apologized. I don't know if it is a 'bad cop-good cop' thing but the bottom line is I am not out $1,400.
The work was completed in the afternoon and they suggested to let the car sit at their shop overnight and pick it up tomorrow. Now I am kind of apprehensive if they have done a decent job (after reading Pearlpower's account). Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 10-18-07, 06:55 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

congrats on getting it replaced under warranty! the manager did the right thing there.

definitely test the car to make sure there's no noise after you get it back
Old 10-19-07, 05:10 PM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, the news isn't good. Went out this morning and I too had a cracked windshield. Took it to the dealer and they confirmed it was a stress crack. It went from the passengers side a 1/4 of the way toward the center about a 1/3 of the way up from the bottom edge. No action from the dealership, as the service manager was out and whomever was in charge couldn't make the call. Should hear back from them next week. Until then, the SC is resting in the garage.
Old 10-19-07, 06:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

man, sorry to hear that. weather is changing big time these days?!
Old 10-19-07, 09:56 PM
margaux01
Driver

Got the car back from dealer this morning and to my untrained eyes everything looks fine. Didn't notice much noise either so it seems like the dealer did a decent job. Still can't shake off the apprehension that the SC might be too delicate for a cross country type of drive.
Thanks Rominl again for sharing the experience.
Moose, sorry to hear about what happened. Since it was agreed that it was a stress crack, you should be OK.
Old 10-23-07, 05:12 AM
moose66
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Mrs. took the car to the dealership this morning. She says the service manager did the old pen routine along the crack and determined that it is stress related. The windshield is on order and will be replaced under warranty. Keeping my fingers crossed for the rest of you!
Old 10-23-07, 09:16 PM
Cloud9
Lead Lap

got my windshield replaced by the dealership and the final price was $1,550. Luckily insurance covered it. It looked like a stress crack like what others have described here. I should have had it fixed under warrenty
Old 12-14-09, 04:21 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the cold got mine today. went to the gym, came home and parked in the garage. then went out a few hours later and it was cracked.
Old 12-14-09, 06:05 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

man...sorry to hear that! one of my best friends lives in KC and she has been complaining about the very frigid temps up there. must be a big change for you coming from LV.

check out your insurance...then call around...sometimes it's cheaper to go non-insurance

Quick Reply: my windshield cracked?