SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

my windshield cracked?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-09, 06:36 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

the weird thing is today wasn't even that cold. it was in the 40s. our windshields are pretty expensive. so i think i'm going to be out my $500 deductible.
Old 04-03-10, 10:36 AM
geo45
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My windhshield cracked. I do not believe I hit a rock. The temperature was not hot not cold. I schedule a appointment to find out if it can be repaired under warranty as I believed it was a stress issue. I live far from the dealer.. about 2 1/2 hours away. The manager there searches to see if he can find if a rock hit it using a pen. He takes more then 10 minutes. Then he finally pointed at a section. I knew it couldn't of been there as the cracked start from the very top of my windshield (driver's side). He then says he will have someone else look at it. 1/2 hour goes by and then he handed a paper stating that it was stress-related but he told me I would have to call back and talk to the service manager. I spoke to service manager over the phone... He told me that its very rare and that he needs to look at it. I told him I live far and I already schuduled an appointment and two people looked at it already. He said he will call me back. He calls me back and tells me that they will order it and when they install it they will know if it was a rock or not. Then he calls back again and leaves me a voice message stating that he notice the car has 44k miles and that they won't cover it because someone could have punished the glass and that would not show any circle marks. Any ideas ?
Old 04-03-10, 11:27 AM
Yes

Originally Posted by geo45
My windhshield cracked. I do not believe I hit a rock. The temperature was not hot not cold. I schedule a appointment to find out if it can be repaired under warranty as I believed it was a stress issue. I live far from the dealer.. about 2 1/2 hours away. The manager there searches to see if he can find if a rock hit it using a pen. He takes more then 10 minutes. Then he finally pointed at a section. I knew it couldn't of been there as the cracked start from the very top of my windshield (driver's side). He then says he will have someone else look at it. 1/2 hour goes by and then he handed a paper stating that it was stress-related but he told me I would have to call back and talk to the service manager. I spoke to service manager over the phone... He told me that its very rare and that he needs to look at it. I told him I live far and I already schuduled an appointment and two people looked at it already. He said he will call me back. He calls me back and tells me that they will order it and when they install it they will know if it was a rock or not. Then he calls back again and leaves me a voice message stating that he notice the car has 44k miles and that they won't cover it because someone could have punished the glass and that would not show any circle marks. Any ideas ?
if it's still under warranty and the warranty does in fact cover stress related cracks, i would write to lexus corporate through their website. i would frame your complaint in a way that gives you the strongest possible argument. if the car was parked in your garage when it happened, that would be better than if you were out driving it. if you already told them you were driving when it happened, it would be better if you were stopped at a light. if you already told them you were in motion, it would be better if there was absolutely no other traffic on the road, so you know it wasn't a rock.

i would tell them that the service tech looked at it and agreed that it was from stress. and that the service manager over ruled him without even looking at it. i would also remind them that you are a loyal lexus owner and that you expect more from a company that claims to pursue perfection.

that said, all lexus dealerships are independently owned. so they can't force them to do anything. all they can do is pressure them in your favor.
Old 04-17-12, 04:33 PM
woodeneye
Driver School Candidate

Default SC 430 fourth windshield cracked

Our 2003 SC 430 has gone through four (4) windshields, all have had the same stress crack in the same place and configuration. I think this is a design flaw and Lexus should be taking care of this.
Old 04-17-12, 07:35 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

My 02 was built on 3/23/01, one of the first ones built, and it has its original windshield. Have your replacement windshields been OEMs or generic versions?
Old 04-18-12, 08:14 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My '02 seems to have the original windshield. Given that the OEM shields are coated for rain shedding, I'd put the OEM back in when a new shield is needed. Just my opinion.

Kelly
Old 04-18-12, 08:31 AM
VVTiBob

While I agree with you regarding the OEM glass...have you checked out the cost? You may be shocked. With that said I probably would go with OEM glass unless someone could convince me otherwise.
Old 04-18-12, 09:55 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Yes, the cost is crazy. About like the rear glass on my old Audi CS5000 TQ -- which had the heater element in the glass spell out "Quattro" in big lettering! Discovered that price when someone put a brick through it for me.

When I need a new windshield for the SC430 I'll pay the deductible on my insurance to have the OEM glass installed. That coated glass works pretty well - really like it. Is it sound-deadening glass also? Since I do nearly all of the repairs/maintenance myself, I'll indulge in sticking to OEM parts.

Kelly
Old 04-18-12, 10:14 AM
Yes

A lot depends on your policy. In my case, my insurance would only pay the cost of aftermarket glass. For OEM, I would have had to pay the difference in cost. That was three years ago, so I don't remember the exact cost, but I believe it was over $500 difference.
Old 04-18-12, 11:22 AM
kjcole
Lead Lap

Pekin paid for OEM glass on my Audi so I'm hoping that they haven't changed.

Good point.
Old 04-18-12, 11:38 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

first time i'm hearing about all these crack winshiels. i'm like Bob have 02 never had a problem better keep quite. don't need one.
Old 04-18-12, 12:15 PM
Yes

Mine wasn't due to stress. It was more going from -20 outside to 60 degrees in the garage while I was in KC. Shouldn't be a problem where I live now.
Old 04-18-12, 12:39 PM
VVTiBob

Well if someone other than a lexus dealer does the work, make sure they install it properly, including the OEM secondary antenna... I am dealing with this issue now...our OEM radio has TWO ports for antenna connections. One for the rear aerial the other for the antenna embedded in the glass windshield.
Old 06-07-12, 04:39 PM
captnburk
Driver School Candidate

Default Crack appeared while parked in garage

2010 ES-350 w/ moon roof. Crack is vertical starting at the module at base of mirror mount. No rock chip associated with crack. Call in to service dept. for thier responce, could someone give me more information regarding the "noise after replacement" comment